Crystal Lite Ross out "a few weeks"

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/23/18014872/bengals-without-wr-john-ross-for-few-weeks-due-to-groin-injury-per-report-buccaneers

This is not good news for a Bengals offense that has been lacking in recent weeks.

By Rebecca Toback@Rebecca_Toback  Updated Oct 23, 2018, 1:39pm EDT

The Bengals are expected to be without wide receiver John Ross for “a few weeks” after he aggravated the groin injury he originally suffered against the Atlanta Falcons in Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

This according to Mike Garafolo:

The Bengals play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday and then have a Week 9 bye before hosting the New Orleans Saints in Week 10. With Ross sidelined, the Bengals will look to rely more on Alex Erickson and Cody Core in addition to starters A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd.

Ross has had an injury-plagued last two years with the Bengals after being selected with the No. 9 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. This season he’s played in five games and has seven catches for 79 yards and two touchdowns. 

Ross was targeted once on Sunday but did not complete the catch. He received no other targets and was ruled out in the second half with the groin injury.

Ross’ career has gotten off to a rocky start, but hopefully he’ll return to the field healthy shortly after the bye week and contribute to the team in a meaningful way. The team could surely use him against the Saints’ highly impressive offense that can stretch the field with ease.

The Bengals moved Auden Tate from the roster to the practice squad last week and while it’s possible he could return to the active roster, I’d imagine the Bengals will stick with what they have for now. Josh Malone was inactive last week against the Chiefs, but he’ll likely be active again on Sunday with Ross out.

Wow  <SMFH>

I'd love to see what Tate can do, but like the article says, we'll probably just roll with Malone since he's higher on the chart.  Tate seems to have lots of potential, but so did Ross and so did others in the past that were been called "mini-Moss/mini-Marshall/etc" types in preseason, etc.

Next man up!  <Marvin hand-clapping>

You know, I keep wishing this guy would prove me wrong. Give me a reason to doubt why I screamed, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!", when he was drafted. Sigh.

As for Auden Tate, he's starting to remind me of AJ McCarron. I guess it's worth a look at him considering all they have otherwise is Core or Malone but Tate-Mania is a little premature. The guy was selected in the seventh round and has been waived twice and there's been no takers. I don't think he's the answer. Yes, he can catch a football but he's slow as shit and can't play special teams so, I'm not sure why people see him as a viable option.

47 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

You know, I keep wishing this guy would prove me wrong. Give me a reason to doubt why I screamed, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!", when he was drafted. Sigh.

As for Auden Tate, he's starting to remind me of AJ McCarron. I guess it's worth a look at him considering all they have otherwise is Core or Malone but Tate-Mania is a little premature. The guy was selected in the seventh round and has been waived twice and there's been no takers. I don't think he's the answer. Yes, he can catch a football but he's slow as shit and can't play special teams so, I'm not sure why people see him as a viable option.

Is Tate slower than our current crop of TE's?

2 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Is Tate going to play TE for the Bengals now? And is he slower than CJ Uzomah? The answer is sadly, yes. 

He could play a receiving TE position where he's lining up without being required to block, yes...especially in the red zone. The speed question was tongue-in-cheek, but you're right...Tate's 40 time was 7 100ths of a second slower than Uzomah's. We've seen the guy exhibit incredible body control and vice-like hands though...and even make guys miss in the open field! I think Marvin & Co. are just afraid to play him because he's a rookie 7th rounder. 

I just don't get it. Other teams find ways to use players that they kept on their 53, even if only in specialized roles. Who cares where he was drafted or that he's a rookie? Can he ball? I think the answer is yes. Trotting out Cody Core and his stone hands doesn't seem to resolve anything. All I know is that now without Ross, Eifert, Kroft AND Schrek, we're a little light in the pass catching/TE department right now. And meanwhile, Dalton is zeroed in on AJ Green, who's now going to be constantly at least double covered, and now Boyd is double covered too. Other teams are challenging us to beat them one on one with our backup receivers, and I want to oblige them.

Funny that we're bagging on Tate's lack of speed since we've all seen how speed is the answer with Ross being so productive as a speed demon over the last two years.  :ninja:   Yeah, yeah, I know...injuries and he at least kept the defenses honest...etc, etc...hence the emoji.  Still find it ironic.

I'd still like to see what Tate really has in terms of actual game productivity and contribution to Bengal wins.  With Tate's size and hands I'd think he could be used as a possession receiver too...gawd knows we could use a few more first downs.  Curious to see what Malone can do too, so I'm actually okay with that option also.  Just give me something other than Core and TE's I've never heard of who can't catch.

37 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Funny that we're bagging on Tate's lack of speed since we've all seen how speed is the answer with Ross being so productive as a speed demon over the last two years.  :ninja:   Yeah, yeah, I know...injuries and he at least kept the defenses honest...etc, etc...hence the emoji.  Still find it ironic.

I'd still like to see what Tate really has in terms of actual game productivity and contribution to Bengal wins.  With Tate's size and hands I'd think he could be used as a possession receiver too...gawd knows we could use a few more first downs.  Curious to see what Malone can do too, so I'm actually okay with that option also.  Just give me something other than Core and TE's I've never heard of who can't catch.

Like I said before, what use is that speed if it just injures you every time you turn on the afterburners? Somehow Tyreek Hill seems to manage, and he's just a hair "slower" than Ross...in t-shirts and shorts.

The game speed thing cannot be as easily measured, and neither can the "light comes on when the games count" thing either. Ironically, until you give someone an opportunity in a real game, you won't know what you have. 

Jerry Rice was considered slow by combine measureables, but his game speed, knack for getting open and work ethic eclipsed everyone else's, which is why he remains the best ever with a receiving yards record that still stands today. Not that I am comparing anyone to Rice, so don't pile on. Don't tase me, bro.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

The game speed thing cannot be as easily measured, and neither can the "light comes on when the games count" thing either. Ironically, until you give someone an opportunity in a real game, you won't know what you have. 

Tate is slow. Straight line speed and game speed. Kid's slower than dial-up. S-L-O-W. So slow he can't even play special teams. You can't have your #4 or #5 WR dressed and not be able to play teams. And you can jump all you like but if you run at the pace of a glacier, you're of no use in the NFL.

Hey, the kid seems to have good hands and made some pretty catches in training camp and against a bunch of scrubs who are now bagging groceries in the preseason but...that doesn't mean he's any good. Tate is also known as a horsecrap route runner and is super green (I think he only played something like 25 games in college). Maybe he can't figure out the playbook. Who knows. All 31 other teams have had at least 8 chances to have him on their roster and yet...he's still on the Bengals practice squad.

I'm all for giving him a shot. I just think he's another unknown guy that Bengals fans think is the answer. If he truly was ready and truly could help the team more than other players, do you really believe he wouldn't be in the lineup?

We brought him back to early... Let's hope that he's back against saints. Only 1 game then a bye. The bye is coming at the best time bc vigil.will be back for siants as well. This is essentially his rookie year so he gets one more season for me before the bust label comes out.

I'll call it "early" (and it really ISN'T that great a premonition) but Ross doesn't play again this year......

Combination of the Bengals great medical staff and Ross being SOFT AS HELL - he doesn't get back for NOS and shortly thereafter heads to IR....

#9 overall pick...….and anyone wonders why this team is in the state it is.....

37 minutes ago, oz_bengal said:

I'll call it "early" (and it really ISN'T that great a premonition) but Ross doesn't play again this year......

Combination of the Bengals great medical staff and Ross being SOFT AS HELL - he doesn't get back for NOS and shortly thereafter heads to IR....

Ross is house money compared to the Ogbuehi/Fisher picks.  We have other WR's.

12 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I am sure the stealers or ravens have dibs....

I'm thinking Patriots to be a drinking buddy for Josh Gordon.

"Yo, Josh, bro.  Lets go out and shoot some beers and pick up some chicks.

Or is it pick up some beers and shoot some chicks.

I get the confused."

And I forgot the :ninja: in my original post.

12 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Tate is slow. Straight line speed and game speed. Kid's slower than dial-up. S-L-O-W. So slow he can't even play special teams. You can't have your #4 or #5 WR dressed and not be able to play teams. And you can jump all you like but if you run at the pace of a glacier, you're of no use in the NFL.

Hey, the kid seems to have good hands and made some pretty catches in training camp and against a bunch of scrubs who are now bagging groceries in the preseason but...that doesn't mean he's any good. Tate is also known as a horsecrap route runner and is super green (I think he only played something like 25 games in college). Maybe he can't figure out the playbook. Who knows. All 31 other teams have had at least 8 chances to have him on their roster and yet...he's still on the Bengals practice squad.

I'm all for giving him a shot. I just think he's another unknown guy that Bengals fans think is the answer. If he truly was ready and truly could help the team more than other players, do you really believe he wouldn't be in the lineup?

My thinking is have him waddle down the field three yards beyond the first down marker, turn around

and catch the ball.  And in the red zone where he doesn't have to waddle very far.

Also, T.J. Whosyourmama was a 7th round pick who they stuck with for a couple of injury plagued years

and see how that paid off.  I saw him as a talking greasy head on ESPN last week.

9 hours ago, oz_bengal said:

One thing that makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit is what the chicken choking announcers said on The Kansas City Chiefs Show last Sunday night.

We picked Crystal Lite one spot before Kansas City picked Mahones.

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

My thinking is have him waddle down the field three yards beyond the first down marker, turn around

and catch the ball.  And in the red zone where he doesn't have to waddle very far.

Also, T.J. Whosyourmama was a 7th round pick who they stuck with for a couple of injury plagued years

and see how that paid off.  I saw him as a talking greasy head on ESPN last week.

I'm not sure why all the worry about the 4th and 5th WR.  Dalton isn't going to throw to those guys anyway.  Dalton is going to lock in on Green and/or Boyd and that's it.  Is it because Core, Erikson, Malone, etc. aren't any good, or is it because Dalton won't or can't get down his progressions to throw to them?

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Ross is house money compared to the Ogbuehi/Fisher picks.  We have other WR's.

Yes. In particular, the Bengals 2014 and 2015 drafts are starting to really look bad. They essentially have netted a slot CB and two back up TEs from those two drafts out of 17 players.

Archived