The Villages Buccaneers Up Next ... Sponsored by Rick's Cart-O-Rama

A couple of weeks or so ago I thought this would be a won game for the Bengals.  I am not that confident today.  TB can put points on the board and our defense is suspect and we only scored 10 points against the worst defense in the NFL at KC.

I do think this game will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Well, I've got some good news and I've got some bad news:

GOOD NEWS

The Bengals have the #2 Red Zone Scoring Offense (72.73% of visits result in TDs) and the Buccaneers have the worst Red Zone Defense (85.71% of visits result in a TD)

Tampa has a poor rushing attack ranking #26 in yards per game and #29 in yards per play

The Buccaneers defense is the 3rd most penalized in the NFL

Tampa Bay gives up the 4th most yards and the most points per game in the league

The Bucs have given up the most passing yards per game and the most passing TDs allowing by far the league's worst passer rating against

Tampa has had 1 interception this year...ONE!

BAD NEWS
Tampa Bay has the #1 offense in yards and #8 offense in points. The Bengals have the #31 defense in yards and #28 defense in points.

The Buccaneers have the #1 passing offense, the Bengals have the #29 passing defense

The Bengals are a league worst in 3rd down percentage on defense (allowing a 56% conversion rate)

Looks like we can add John Ross and possibly Vontaze Burfict to the players that won't play Sunday, not that either has really done fuck all this year 

6 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Well, I've got some good news and I've got some bad news:

GOOD NEWS

The Bengals have the #2 Red Zone Scoring Offense (72.73% of visits result in TDs) and the Buccaneers have the worst Red Zone Defense (85.71% of visits result in a TD)

Tampa has a poor rushing attack ranking #26 in yards per game and #29 in yards per play

The Buccaneers defense is the 3rd most penalized in the NFL

Tampa Bay gives up the 4th most yards and the most points per game in the league

The Bucs have given up the most passing yards per game and the most passing TDs allowing by far the league's worst passer rating against

Tampa has had 1 interception this year...ONE!

BAD NEWS
Tampa Bay has the #1 offense in yards and #8 offense in points. The Bengals have the #31 defense in yards and #28 defense in points.

The Buccaneers have the #1 passing offense, the Bengals have the #29 passing defense

The Bengals are a league worst in 3rd down percentage on defense (allowing a 56% conversion rate)

Looks like we can add John Ross and possibly Vontaze Burfict to the players that won't play Sunday, not that either has really done fuck all this year 

4522158.jpg

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/10/25/nfl-week-8-bengals-vs-buccaneers-3-keys-and-predictions/1753873002/

The Cincinnati Bengals will host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday at 1 p.m. The game will be broadcast on FOX.

Cincinnati enters 4-3, coming off a 45-10 loss at the Kansas City Chiefs. The Bucs are 3-3 after a 26-23 overtime win against the Cleveland Browns.

Here's a look at three keys to Sunday's game and our predictions:

Three keys

Stars gotta star: For weeks we've wondered: Who is going to step up and help A.J. Green? With injuries mounting and tight end going from a position of strength turned to instability, the Bengals need their two best offensive weapons, Green and running back Joe Mixon, to carry more than their share of the load this week. Whatever the grand offensive plans for Tyler Eifert and/or three-tight-end sets were, they're shot for the short term. This weekend, the Bengals need their best players to play at their best, and the offense can regroup during the off week. 

Defending diverse weapons: The Buccaneers have played from behind and in a number of high-scoring games, leading to wild passing stats among a diverse group of receivers. DeSean Jackson can get over the top. Mike Evans is big and physical. Chris Godwin is coming into his own in his second year in the league. O.J. Howard is a wideout in a tight end's body. The Bengals linebackers' struggles in coverage is well documented. How will they and the safeties hold up against Howard?

Get home: Building off the first two keys: The Bengals need stars to star and to slow the Bucs' passing attack. That's a good platform for the defensive line on Sunday. Notably Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins and Carl Lawson need to make Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston uncomfortable, more than they did against Ben Roethlisberger and Patrick Mahomes the past two weeks. The Bucs have allowed 15 sacks on the season, middle of the road in the league, but the Cleveland Browns sacked Winston four times, hurried him 13 times and hit him five others last week

Predictions

Paul Dehner Jr.:  The Bengals are banged up. They are reeling coming off back-to-back losses on prominent national stages. Their offense is regressing. Their defense is giving up miles of yardage. Everyone pumping them up early in the season is beating them down following the prime-time blowout in Kansas City.

Fact about me: I love the wounded-animal theory. I love it even more in the NFL. I love it exponentially more at home against a wretched Buccaneers defense. I’m buying the stewing Bengals this week. They’ve responded well to adversity in games all year and I think they have the right stuff to show off that trait from week to week. I’m buying the team having a complete understanding about the importance of this game in the big picture and jumping from 5-3 entering the bye instead of 4-4, losers of three straight and washing out all the goodwill of the season’s first month. Overcoming the injury bug will be part of this equation, but Tampa’s struggling secondary, and a refocus on the run game, can go a long way to offsetting that. Traditionally, this team plays well the moment they are counted out and I think it shows up again this week. Bengals win, cover and salvage big-picture success of the season’s first half, setting the stage to make a push for the division coming back on the flip side.

PREDICTION: Bengals 37, Bucs 24

Fletcher Page: This isn't the Stealers. And this isn't prime time. 

But this is a really important game for the Bengals, who need a win going into the off week to set up a favorable second-half of the season.

I'm taking the over and expect a pile of points put up in this one. This seems like the set-up each week: two struggling defenses, two offenses likely to engage in trading touchdowns to an exciting end. 

Last week the Bengals offense didn't show up against the Chiefs. Don't bet on that happening again. Not at home. 

The key questions, from my perspective, are: Can Joe Mixon get going to help A.J. Green and balance this offense? And, how much damage do Tampa Bay's offensive weapons do after the catch against the Bengals' defense? 

If Joe gets going and Green does his thing, the Bengals can outscore the Bucs, put the past two losses behind them and get right during the bye week.

PREDICTION: Bengals 31, Bucs 28

P.S.

Browns vs Squeels rematch this Sunday.  Would love to see another tie.

1 hour ago, SmoothD said:

If you play fantasy football, you might want to pick up Bucs TE O.J. Howard.

He is going to have a huge game against us :42:.

Especially now that #55 has been ruled out.

Thank God, finally we can all sleep safely tonight.

This seems like the set-up each week: two struggling defenses, two offenses likely to engage in trading touchdowns to an exciting end. 

Like almost every other game this season, for every team, as directed.  So exciting. 

We pretty much know who the Bengals’ seven inactive players will be on Sunday vs. the Buccaneers.

On Friday, the team announced that Darqueze Dennard, Nick Vigil, Vontaze Burfict, John Ross, Giovani Bernard and Tyler Kroft were all ruled out for this Week 8 matchup. In addition, Billy Price is listed as doubtful, though Marvin Lewis did say Price could play.

The good news is the Bengals hit their bye week after Sunday, so all of these injured players will have extra time to rest and recover before Week 10 vs. the Saints. Still, not having Burfict, Vigilor Dennard is going to put a lot of added pressure on the Bengals defense to slow down a Buccaneers offense that’s scored 26-plus points in five of six games.

And, it sounds like Burfict may need more than just the bye week to get healthy.

“He’s out for more than this week. He may not be back after the bye. That hip could cost him 2-4 weeks.” - Dave Lapham on Vontaze Burfict

As for the Buccaneers, they too will have some key players sitting out Sunday. Gerald McCoy and Vinny Curry have both been ruled out, which is a big loss to Tampa Bay’s struggling defense. It’s also great news for the Bengals’ patchwork offensive line.

Also of note, Bengals long snapper Clark Harris cleared the concussion protocol and will play in his 144th Bengals game on Sunday. That will tie him with his predecessor, Brad St. Louis, for the most games played as a member of the Bengals.

Archived