Bye Week Thread

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Ross has a Formula 1 body and used Yugo reliability.

I would rather have a reliable Tate Subaru any day.

...and we all know why a Yugo has a rear window defroster...

...(for those that don't know)...

...to keep your hands warm while you push it.

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

Did someone say Caps Lock?

LOL. I did that intentionally to look like I was brain damaged over Subaru cars.

54 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Unknown.jpeg

We don't need any help on our roster. Why would you want to trade with another team?

13 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

Do you guys really think we needed to make a trade?

Just curious, what thoughts are (were) out there? I know we have lots of needs but that really never crossed my mind as part of a viable solution.

Oh yeah................................Subaru's are great!

OL help would be swell but who can we afford to give up that is also worth something? And realistically would a draft pick be better for the long term?

It is wishful thinking that a viable o lineman would be available at the draft deadline unless he was openly demanding a trade. That said a decent one would cost an extraordinary amount draft pick wise. 

We certainly could have used a legit tight end.  Not out of the question.

59 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

The Cincinnati Bengals are "....on pace to break the NFL record for most yards allowed in a season. "

Jesus! How does this not get Teryl Austin or Daronte Jones fired?

Bengals management has poor understanding of the English language...  

You say "....on pace to break the NFL record for most yards allowed in a season."  they see  "....on pace to break the NFL record for most yards in a season."

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Boling should be back after the bye week per Marvin.

Now, if they will just get Redmon out of there and play Westerman I think that would be

a big and immediate improvement.

As much of a fan I am of Westerman, I can't help but wonder what the Bengals don't like about him.   What am I missing  ?  His stats look great and his play is solid.  To me that's more than I can say about many on the line. 

8 hours ago, Numbers said:

As much of a fan I am of Westerman, I can't help but wonder what the Bengals don't like about him.   What am I missing  ?  His stats look great and his play is solid.  To me that's more than I can say about many on the line. 

I've been banging the Westerman drum since we drafted him. I would like to know also. Arm length?

8 hours ago, Numbers said:

51 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I've been banging the Westerman drum since we drafted him. I would like to know also. Arm length?

Over my pointed little head, too.

Redmon has become the Marvin Lewis of offensive (double meaning) linemen.  Why is he still there?

Why is Redmon still out there either holding or doing his excellent impersonation of a welcome mat into Andy's house?

Not going to post the Cincy Jungle article but some nice film of Westerman and Hopkins.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/31/18042640/bengals-weekly-lineman-trey-hopkins-fantastic-finale-christian-westerman-debut-offensive-line-review

10 hours ago, Duluoz said:

The Cincinnati Bengals are "....on pace to break the NFL record for most yards allowed in a season. "

Jesus! How does this not get Teryl Austin or Daronte Jones fired?

2010...4-12 gets the head coach a 2 year extension

2018... missed playoffs consecutive years and still hasn't won a playoff game...ever and gets another 2 year extension

do you really think this ownership has any fucking expectations what so ever?

checks keep coming in... all is good

31 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

2018... missed playoffs consecutive years and still hasn't won a playoff game...ever and gets another 2 year extension

Pretty much this.  And the Westerman thing is baffling.  Maybe they just cant give up hope that their 1st and 2nd round players are busts or they are trying to prove how smart they are by playing an undrafted FA (Redmon).

Also, Joe Mixon is averaging 4.8 yards per carry.  Not saying they dont look bad at times.  Its just not as bad as i think many believe.  Drops and lack of creativity have stalled many drives.  Also, the defense gives up yards at literally a historic rate.  Those are the reasons for the struggles that have occurred at times.  

View image on Twitter

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Over my pointed little head, too.

Redmon has become the Marvin Lewis of offensive (double meaning) linemen.  Why is he still there?

Why is Redmon still out there either holding or doing his excellent impersonation of a welcome mat into Andy's house?

Not going to post the Cincy Jungle article but some nice film of Westerman and Hopkins.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/31/18042640/bengals-weekly-lineman-trey-hopkins-fantastic-finale-christian-westerman-debut-offensive-line-review

I forgot about Hopkins since there hasn't been much mention of him on Sunday or on the board. Which is good for an OL. I don't know much about OL rating, but it seems to be understated how well he's doing. At least it seems like he's filling in solidly. 

1 hour ago, SouthPaw said:

Also, Joe Mixon is averaging 4.8 yards per carry.  Not saying they dont look bad at times.  Its just not as bad as i think many believe.  Drops and lack of creativity have stalled many drives.  Also, the defense gives up yards at literally a historic rate.  Those are the reasons for the struggles that have occurred at times.  

Unless we fix the defense we don't stand much of a chance going forward.  I am sure someone has a stat about how well the team with the worst defense in the league ended up at the end of the season.   We have given up an average of 35.7 points the last 3 games.  Looking at ours,  Baltiwhore's and Pittspuke's schedule I just don't see two teams making the playoffs out of our division.   

We could easily lose 4 of our next 5 if they don't fix the defense.  New Orleans and the Chargers can score huge points.  Denver lost twice to the Chiefs by a combined 7 points and to the Rams by 3,  they are a very good 4-4 team.  Baltimore has the #1 defense and #14 offense.   Cleveland is Cleveland.

15 hours ago, HOF dan said:

Do you guys really think we needed to make a trade?

Just curious, what thoughts are (were) out there? I know we have lots of needs but that really never crossed my mind as part of a viable solution.

Oh yeah................................Subaru's are great!

A belated reply ... water over the dam and under the bridge and 20/20 hindsight

but Green Bay traded safety Ha Ha Clinton Dix for a 4th round pick.

I think it would have been worth a 4th round pick to get Shawn of the Dead Williams off the field and pair Ha Ha up with Bates.  Both young and we would have been solid there for a number of years to come.

I know MikeandKatie would rather die than give up a 4th round pick but that would be a bird in the hand rather than two in the bush plus we will have our usual numerous comp picks this year to compensate.  Losing 1st rounder Ogbuhei will get us something and someone is sure to pick him up to kick his tires and make him an all pro.

Besides, we have a 3rd round draft pick from this year at a position where we are really hurting, linebacker, and he only plays special teams.  Give him a shot.  How much worse can Jefferson be than Nickerson?  His speed might slow down an outside rusher long enough for someone else to come up and make a real tackle if nothing else.  Right now Jefferson is virtually a wasted 3rd round pick on the bench while some guy who won't even be on the team next year flounders around on the field making the other teams highlight reels.

Also, Ha Ha would make the Bengals All Name Team along with I.M. Hipp, Elvis Peacock, Kiki DeAyla and Samoa Samoa.

14 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Well, Zampese did get shit-canned just 2 games into the season last year, so there's at least some interest in winning. Going into the bye week would be the best time to make coaching changes, but I guess Austin will survive.

18 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

View image on Twitter

We're rated low in pressures or the less ambiguous sacks allowed every year.  Andy gets rid of the ball quicker than anyone not named Brady & has gotten better at chucking them out of bounds or into the turf when no one is open.   Think this is one of those misleading stats like the win % when the RB gets more than 20 carries or Betty White being undefeated in heavyweight bouts.    The OL is still bad.

Archived