Paul Guenther getting Raked

Not a huge Guenther fan but after seeing what Austin's done to this defense I'd welcome him back.   They could just about pull a name out of a hat at this point.  They're already on pace for historically worst defense so it's not like there's much to lose. 

If anyone saw that game the other night, you would have noticed how clueless Guenther looked on the sidelines.  You might also have seen how pissed Gruden looked when talking to him.  This is not a simple matter of Oaklands defense being stripped bare because all teams go through a turnover every now and then.  Losing Mack was big but not as bad as losing two of your cornerbacks which they did also.  EVERY team goes through player turnover and yes, even some of their stars go bye bye too.  THEY still manage to win a couple games and not look like a complete and utter disaster at every single phase of the game. 

In short, NO to Guenther coming back, NO to Joseph, NO to Alexander, and NO to any other Bengal retread coach with one exception...  Hue Jackson.  I believe Lazor is capable of doing the job so Hue is not really needed but Hue is a damn good Offensive Coordinator.  Hue is in the same vein as other good coordinators who make lousy head coaches (see Lebeau for reference...).  Maybe a "consultant" that could collaborate on offensive game plans but never ever a person to be considered for taking over the head coaching position...  FWIW, I didn't include Zimmer because I really don't think he'll ever leave the Vikings job.

As bad as Teryl Austin's defense has looked, it doesn't compare to the Raiders last night. That was against a feeble O with a third string QB. Their players did not know who to cover or how to execute his defense. To call it ugly doesn't cut it. It is inexcusable to be that inept this far into the season

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

When Vance Joseph is fired in Denver, he will be on the next plane here.

I hope.

Replaces Marvin when he ... "retires".

I don't think Vance is in as much trouble as many think.  The Broncos are 4-4 and 2 of their losses are to KC by a combined 7 points and another loss to the Rams by 3 points.  Denver is actually one of the bettert teams in the AFC but their schedule thus far has been nightmarish.   They are getting better every week but if they have another Jets type performance then yeah, Joseph will be gone. 

People freaking out over the Raiders is funny.  They had the oldest roster in the NFL.  Chuckie wasn't taking that team anywhere except out to pasture.  Carr is better than most think but he may be too much like Tebow and not respected or liked in the locker room.    Most of the team is going away at the end of the season.  The Raiders have a history of bringing in old vets thinking they will get them over the hump.  That strategy has resulted in 1 winning season and playoff game in 16 years.  Chuckie is cleaning house before they leave for Vegas.   He needs to get rid of all the trash and make it Derrick Carr's team, not Marshon Lynch's.

Jimmy Johnson had the exact same problem when he took over Dallas.  His first team was 1-15 after he gutted the team only keeping rookie Michael Irving, Nate Newton, Bill Bates, Jim Jeffcoat and a few other spare parts. 

It wasn't like McVey taking over the YOUNGEST roster in the NFL with huge cap space.  It allowed the Rams to over pay for a few key missing pieces (Whit) and the result is they are 8-0. 

29 minutes ago, Numbers said:

If anyone saw that game the other night, you would have noticed how clueless Guenther looked on the sidelines.  You might also have seen how pissed Gruden looked when talking to him.  This is not a simple matter of Oaklands defense being stripped bare because all teams go through a turnover every now and then.  Losing Mack was big but not as bad as losing two of your cornerbacks which they did also.  EVERY team goes through player turnover and yes, even some of their stars go bye bye too.  THEY still manage to win a couple games and not look like a complete and utter disaster at every single phase of the game. 

In short, NO to Guenther coming back, NO to Joseph, NO to Alexander, and NO to any other Bengal retread coach with one exception...  Hue Jackson.  I believe Lazor is capable of doing the job so Hue is not really needed but Hue is a damn good Offensive Coordinator.  Hue is in the same vein as other good coordinators who make lousy head coaches (see Lebeau for reference...).  Maybe a "consultant" that could collaborate on offensive game plans but never ever a person to be considered for taking over the head coaching position...  FWIW, I didn't include Zimmer because I really don't think he'll ever leave the Vikings job.

So no to Bratkowski?

9 hours ago, Numbers said:

NO to any other Bengal retread coach with one exception...  Hue Jackson.  

80aad897a69e0a2372e0e02cb1a9fc10.gif

Hue Jeego?!  Out of anyone? Dafuk? 

Are we trying to win the Super Bowl of running your mouth?  This guy was 0-16 and acting like Belichick should be mowing his lawn.  I mean.. confidence is great but not when you undeniably, objectively suck at something, there has to be some level of self-awareness in order to improve.  Why on Earth would we let that guy back in the building? We'd have to widen the doorways just to get his head through.  

9 hours ago, Duluoz said:

Anybody else see where Gruden gets in Guenther's face and says "What the fuck was that play ?"

Exactly what I I was referring to.  Not sure of the exact words but I'm pretty sure you're close.   I forget what the score was but it was already insurmountable.  Guenther looked like he was at a loss for words or trying to develop an excuse when the Gruden exchange took place.   I guess the Guenther's shtick is the clueless look like Marvin's is clapping.   Note:  Marvin has a pretty convincing clueless look too but Guenther's is "more better good."

13 hours ago, Numbers said:

Exactly what I I was referring to.  Not sure of the exact words but I'm pretty sure you're close.   I forget what the score was but it was already insurmountable.  Guenther looked like he was at a loss for words or trying to develop an excuse when the Gruden exchange took place.   I guess the Guenther's shtick is the clueless look like Marvin's is clapping.   Note:  Marvin has a pretty convincing clueless look too but Guenther's is "more better good."

Oh, that's exactly what he said....scroll down the page on the attached link....they slow-mo'd it.

"What the fuck is that play ?"

23 hours ago, Duluoz said:

Oh, that's exactly what he said....scroll down the page on the attached link....they slow-mo'd it.

"What the fuck is that play ?"

After watching some of those bad lip reading videos on YouTube, I am naturally skeptical when someone says exact referring to lip reading.   However, after seeing the slow motion replay, I'd say it would be hard to find something else that fits but I'd be willing to listen.   

How about, "Well, Paulie, it's been fun, but I gotta go. I have a date with six-year-old boy."  or...   "Hi I'm Chucky wanna play Paulie ?!?"

Archived