https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/11/5/18061820/nfl-rumors-should-bengals-sign-de-bruce-irvin

With Carl Lawson out for the year, Bruce Irvin would be a perfect short-term solution opposite Carlos Dunlap.

By Matt Minich@CoachMinich  Updated Nov 6, 2018, 4:47pm EST

While many were disappointed in Carl Lawson’s lacking sack numbers this season, his presence was known by opposing offenses. He was second on the team in pressures prior to his injury and certainly warranted enough attention to create opportunities for Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkinswho have combined for 13 of the team’s 21 sacks.

Now that Lawson is out for the season, the Bengals should add another skilled pass rusher. Fortunately for the Bengals, one has just become available.

Veteran edge-rusher Bruce Irvin was cut by the Oakland Raiders on Monday, which is inexplicable given the fact that he led the team with three sacks on the season. The Raiders have had trouble all season generating pressure without Khalil Mack, whom they traded away right before the season.

Obviously, three sacks is not an out-of-this-world number through eight games, but in the two previous seasons (when playing opposite Mack) he had seven and eight sacks, respectively.

Irvin, who recently turned 31, still possess excellent burst and bending ability off the edge. He’s also one of the more productive edge rushers in the past seven years.

Bruce Irvin is 6th among 2012-2018 draft picks in sacks (40). Behind Chandler Jones (70.5), Aaron Donald (49), Khalil Mack (45), Ezekiel Ansah (45) and Olivier Vernon (45).

You get special teams reps from a late round pick. Seems like a no brainer.

Had a franchise traded for Irvin before last week’s deadline, it would’ve been a low-risk investment with potential to boom in the short term. Now all it takes to acquire Irvin is just a waiver claim, as he will put on the waiver wire today at 4 pm EST.  Adding an established veteran like Irvin is exactly the type of move a team in the playoff hunt should make to fill a void left by an in season injury. Signing him would give the Bengals a viable pass rush threat opposite Dunlap, while allowing the team to continue to use Sam Hubbard, Jordan Willis, and Michael Johnson in their current roles, and not diminishing Hubbard and Willis’ value in the long run.

Damn I hate my team sometimes. We're hurt all to hell and back and Dez and Irvin could have been had to help shore up those positions. Instead, we promote Auden Tate. Whoopty fucking doo. A guy that's never caught an NFL football in a game that mattered. 

21 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Damn I hate my team sometimes. We're hurt all to hell and back and Dez and Irvin could have been had to help shore up those positions. Instead, we promote Auden Tate. Whoopty fucking doo. A guy that's never caught an NFL football in a game that mattered. 

And we still hear about Ross's potential and having to step up.

Horse puckey.

If Ross steps up he will probably pull a ham string and strain his groin.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Lets be honest, the Saints had already worked him out and were just waiting on the final prognosis with Ted Ginn.  There was no way Bryant was signing with us if the other option was New Orleans.  Dome, not playing in Cleveland or Pittsburgh in Dec, Drew Brees, Sean Peyton, 7-1, legit Superbowl contender, single coverage (Michael Thomas draws the doubles), Boubon Street, etc..  We never had a chance. 

26 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Lets be honest, the Saints had already worked him out and were just waiting on the final prognosis with Ted Ginn.  There was no way Bryant was signing with us if the other option was New Orleans.  Dome, not playing in Cleveland or Pittsburgh in Dec, Drew Brees, Sean Peyton, 7-1, legit Superbowl contender, single coverage (Michael Thomas draws the doubles), Boubon Street, etc..  We never had a chance. 

Being honest doesn't help here and yeah I'm with sUbArU Bung. This team is never proactive.

LaVar Arrington > Bruce Irvin....  :ph34r:

http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/la-times-sports-columnist-and-former-2-nfl-draft-player-to-speak-at-pasadena-quarterbacks-luncheon/#.W-Nm9-TQaM8

"Maranatha High School Football Head Coach LaVar Arrington has a long professional history in football. Most recently, Arrington coached football at Long Beach Polytechnic High School as the assistant defensive coordinator and linebacker coach."

la01.jpg

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Being honest doesn't help here and yeah I'm with sUbArU Bung. This team is never proactive.

That's really the heart of it. Maybe they picked up the phone, maybe not. My guess is Mike Brown and Marvin felt we could go to war with the walking wounded. Or something. We would have had to overpay to get Dez to come here, but so what? Offer him $10 million and be done with it. 

Trying to get Bruce Irvin to sign here over his hometown (or the Stealers or Patriots) or Dez Bryant to sign here over 7-1 New Orleans would have been a nearly impossible task. These two guys are at the end of their runs and the Bengals aren't going anywhere this year but I get this disappointment in the seeming lack of effort on our Head Office's part.

But, hey, remember that time they traded AJ McCarron at the deadline?

18 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Trying to get Bruce Irvin to sign here over his hometown (or the Stealers or Patriots) or Dez Bryant to sign here over 7-1 New Orleans would have been a nearly impossible task. These two guys are at the end of their runs and the Bengals aren't going anywhere this year but I get this disappointment in the seeming lack of effort on our Head Office's part.

But, hey, remember that time they traded AJ McCarron at the deadline?

LOL. That was probably Mike Brown's takeaway from that situation.

"You SEE!?!?!?!? The ONE  time I try to make a trade, it bites me in the ass...NEVER AGAIN!!!"

And because he's so old, he'd feel that way after forgetting the motherlode we got for Carson Palmer.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

LOL. That was probably Mike Brown's takeaway from that situation.

"You SEE!?!?!?!? The ONE  time I try to make a trade, it bites me in the ass...NEVER AGAIN!!!"

And because he's so old, he'd feel that way after forgetting the motherlode we got for Carson Palmer.

Shit, his takeaway from any of these situations is "no one in my extended family will ever need to fill out a job application."

It's nice to know we keep $10 Mil in cap space so we can "sign guys in case of injury" and never actually sign anyone in case of injury.

But as Geoff Hobson pointed out, we did sign Jordan Franks, and he comes in packs of 8 and the buns come in packs of 10, so you wind up signing like 5 Jordan Franks just so they match up. It's maddening. Sorry Whit and Illoka, we couldn't afford you and sign Jordan Franks, Sammy Cheddar, and Matthias Skyline. 

a36-800x430.jpg

Yeah, and to make matters even more egregious, they put Frankfurters in there, he makes a really nice grab and run, then nary a peep the rest of the game. If you're going to go to war with what you have, and it ain't much, you still have to USE it.

Sundays game is almost like the Saints are the US military and we are Iraq that's how lopsided this is feeling right now.

Archived