Veterans Day Roll Call and Photo Gallery

Not the right place but more people will see this here.  Please move to Tailgate in a few days.

Was suggested awhile back that vets post their photos on the site.  Then suggested to do it closer to

Veterans Day.  Veterans Day, Game Day ... 

If you do not have a photo, how about just your name, rank and serial number(optional) in case you 

are captured.

Army Bengal?  USN Bengal?  And someone please contact Rick and tell him to report for duty.

Tiger J@w, you too.

So, how about it? Be it

th-15.jpeg Army

th-16.jpeg Navy

th-19.jpeg Air Force

th-20.jpeg Marines.

Lets see it.

Army 1st Lt. - 6 years. (92-98) Another 10 working for the government.

I was a linguist for Army intel which mostly consisted of 2 years of school, followed by 4 years of being in a bunker with 45 aerials listening to foreign radio. (With even more school) You're automatically an officer, and if you do well in the schools, it's pretty much a guaranteed promotion if you extend to 6. After that I did a bit more advanced but similar work for agencies in DC. Finally decided to go private sector in 2008.

Wife was Navy, and was among the first women to actually be deployed on ships. She was a radar operator and 50mm gunner. Did her 4 years, but also had a rough time dealing with being in that situation. CO tanked her career with a bad eval and then gets drunk one night and tells her he only did it because he really wanted to have sex with her and didn't want to seem like he was showing favoritism. That type of bullshit. She doesn't like to talk military. Was deployed in the Gulf during Desert Storm so is a war vet. Something I'm not.

1 minute ago, CincyInDC said:

Cool.  Respect for learning a new language. 

Their program is pretty intensive. The cool thing was really learning a new culture... History, worldview, all of that. I not only studied Arabic, also Islam, the Ottomans, all the way down to what day to day life is simply like for them. It was kind of my job to be able to tell you what the average person on the streets of Mosul thought. In a broader sense, you even learn how to break down how a country actually runs, how opinion is shaped, a whole bunch of stuff. My time in DC was an amazing time of growth in my life. The 6 years before seem like they were a cocoon.

On 11/11/2018 at 1:18 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

Their program is pretty intensive. The cool thing was really learning a new culture... History, worldview, all of that. I not only studied Arabic, also Islam, the Ottomans, all the way down to what day to day life is simply like for them. It was kind of my job to be able to tell you what the average person on the streets of Mosul thought. In a broader sense, you even learn how to break down how a country actually runs, how opinion is shaped, a whole bunch of stuff. My time in DC was an amazing time of growth in my life. The 6 years before seem like they were a cocoon.

Adrian? Is that you?

Ditto the sentiments. 

After barely escaping the Vietnam Draft (war ended for us in January 1973--I turned 18 in May of that year), very few of my contemporaries wanted anything to do with the military. Looking back, wish I would have at least given it a shot. I now envy those who did--certainly made better citizens of our nation, with real life knowledge as well. Congratulations and gratitude to all.  

6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

After barely escaping the Vietnam Draft (war ended for us in January 1973--I turned 18 in May of that year), very few of my contemporaries wanted anything to do with the military. 

I turned 18 in December of '72.  In the drawing for the order of birth dates for those born in 1954, my day was 10th...so college deferment and the war ramping down "saved me."  

As others have done, I give a big "Thank you!" to all of you that have served, or are serving, our country.  :thumbsup:

I always feel like I owe it to veterans to watch war movies...especially the ones that portray war fairly accurately and don't sugar-coat it, if only to acknowledge what some have gone through to protect my freedoms.   "Fury", "Zero Dark Thirty", "The Hurt Locker", etc.   Also, "The Things They Carried" is a good book, written by a Vietnam veteran.

Carry on.

13 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I turned 18 in December of '72.  In the drawing for the order of birth dates for those born in 1954, my day was 10th...so college deferment and the war ramping down "saved me."  

As others have done, I give a big "Thank you!" to all of you that have served, or are serving, our country.  :thumbsup:

I always feel like I owe it to veterans to watch war movies...especially the ones that portray war fairly accurately and don't sugar-coat it, if only to acknowledge what some have gone through to protect my freedoms.   "Fury", "Zero Dark Thirty", "The Hurt Locker", etc.   Also, "The Things They Carried" is a good book, written by a Vietnam veteran.

Carry on.

If you haven't seen "Generation Kill" you should definitely add it to the list

Archived