The Official Saints at Bengals game thread...

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Figured you would trot out statistics--as though those are the barometer by which everything is judged. Must be a fantasy football addict.

Go google this, wise guy: would the NFL statistics you are so addicted to...exist at all, were it not for Joe Willie Namath? I will wait, but already know your answer. Go ahead and post it, and you can dance around in victory with your "gotcha" response. Whatever. 

Figure you would embarass yourself when given facts. Your question didnt even make any sense at all. It’s not like JN put up good number , the guy put up mediocre stats. Would any stats from any QB or any player , for that matter, exist at all were it not for that particular player? Stupid much? 

Just bc a qb won a ring doesnt mean hes good. Avg to above avg qbs got rings too. Nick Foles isnt a good qb base on his overall body of work. Wentz didnt even play in the SB lastbyear so no one can say hes a good qb that won a sb. He got a ring but he didnt win it. 

As far as injuries go, every team has player hurt so stop with the excuses. Beside the players i mentioned they also have their starting cb on IR and a very good lb that didnt play last sunday. 

I am not embarrassed at all. You surprise me: you double down on statistics. Now it is confirmed you are a fantasy football addict. 

OK...discussion halted. You couldn't even google the premise for the question. So, again, a big whatever. 

And your last sentence is for SF. Another argument you are losing.   

First of all im not a fantasy addict. I played FF once about 10 years ago. I just go by cold hard facts. Something you should try.

So tell me what barometers do people go by when judging a qb’s level of play? If it’s not number then what? By the number of his furcoats? Male hand bags? 

I didnt understand your question but regardless it is irrelevance to what we’re debating. Akin to bringing up grade school math when everyone else is discussing college Calculus. Dumb! 

Color outside of the lines...think large. Whatever in the world this "debate" you are trying to win is about--something about "average" (read "ordinary"), you aren't going to fit your alleged "cold, hard, facts" into it. Couching your laundry list of these "ordinary" athletes into a conclusion that they all just happened to change the outcome of one game, or a season--only concludes one dimension. 

As I said, it takes incorporating the larger impact of an otherwise "average/ordinary" athlete into a larger box. Something you haven't been able to do. And I am not going to illuminate you. Figure it out yourself, or just continue to inanely insult people. Do the latter long enough, and the kindly folks who run this place will show you the door. Of that you can be assured.

Larger impact???? LololololOoololol

What large impact are you referring to? You havent name a single one all this time, where i backed up my argument with facts.

The guy was a joke at playing qb. Anyone with 4 brain cells knows this .Not goin to illuminate me .... ROTFLMAO thats because you cant even prove any of your points. 

And Brad Johnson in the Hall?? HAhhahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhah

57 minutes ago, Mjordan said:

Larger impact???? LololololOoololol

What large impact are you referring to? You havent name a single one all this time, where i backed up my argument with facts.

The guy was a joke at playing qb. Anyone with 4 brain cells knows this .Not goin to illuminate me .... ROTFLMAO thats because you cant even prove any of your points. 

And Brad Johnson in the Hall?? HAhhahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhah

You do realize that LeTigre has been referring to Namath's influence on the game, the league, the popularity and the culture of it...right?

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Color outside of the lines...think large. Whatever in the world this "debate" you are trying to win is about--something about "average" (read "ordinary"), you aren't going to fit your alleged "cold, hard, facts" into it. Couching your laundry list of these "ordinary" athletes into a conclusion that they all just happened to change the outcome of one game, or a season--only concludes one dimension. 

As I said, it takes incorporating the larger impact of an otherwise "average/ordinary" athlete into a larger box. Something you haven't been able to do. And I am not going to illuminate you. Figure it out yourself, or just continue to inanely insult people. Do the latter long enough, and the kindly folks who run this place will show you the door. Of that you can be assured.

Ok, i get it man. Youre the type that cant back up your argument. Instead, you tried to spin it to some BS -"Larger impact". Lol what a joke. 

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

You do realize that LeTigre has been referring to Namath's influence on the game, the league, the popularity and the culture of it...right?

Ok. Thank you , Captain Obvious! You do realize when people say such and such qb is average they meant their level of play, not on his influence on the game, culture or popularity...right? 

35 minutes ago, Mjordan said:

Ok. Thank you , Captain Obvious! You do realize when people say such and such qb is average they meant their level of play, not on his influence on the game, culture or popularity...right? 

If you truly understand all that then I am unsure as to why you continue to  keep bringing stats into this, along with, QBR, completion percentages, etc. All of that is irrelevant to what LeTigre is saying to you. Namath's charisma, his magnetic persona that altered TV advertising forever, Namath's guarantee of victory, ALL of it. He was really the first televised superstar for the NFL QB gravy train that followed in his wake.

Was he a great statistical QB, even by the standards of his day? Nope. He looks even worse stacked up against modern era QB's. But once again, irrelevant to the whole point.

50 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

As long as Captain Obvious keeps making those Subaru Dog commercials, he's good in my book.

SBON-5507000H-Phone_Navigation_1920x1200

BTW, my favorite part about the pic above is the fine print that says "Professional driver...".

So I can't sue Subaru if I decided to have my dog be my designated driver after watching that commercial?

12 hours ago, Mjordan said:

It rather sad that you have no understanding of what QBs did on the field during that time frame.   Namath, Dawson and Unitas pretty much called their own offensive plays during most of their careers.  The switch to offensive coordinators calling plays exclusively didn't occur until the 70s as well as the switch to exotic passing schemes and timing routes as rule changes allowed receivers to run down the field with being blown up at the line of scrimmage. 

Namath was the AP player of the year 2X and 5 time pro bowl player.    He was also the 1974 comeback player of the year after having his knew fixed by Doctor Frankenstein.  He was far from average for his time.  Johnny Unitas never completed over 59% of his passes in 18 years.  Len Dawson led the league in completion percentage 5 years in a row in the late 60s.  Never over 60%.    

DBs and Safeties could MURDER you when the ball was in the air.  They could practically murder you at the line of scrimmage.   Quick slants were almost impossible unless you had Lance Alworth (HOF) type acceleration and the deceptive moves needed to get past the DB untouched.

Comparing any of their stats to today's no touch, field turf track star WRs is laughable.  QBs were offered ZERO protection.  There was no roughing the passer penalty and diving for the QB's knees was a taught strategy.   Team's didn't have 5 passing formations with 15 options out of each formation.  Even if they did, the QB never had the type of time they do now because getting blown up after passing the ball was NOT a penalty. There used to be a 2 step rule, if he lets go of the ball you could still take a step and blow him up. 

Archived