Fire Austin Now!

At this point, they pretty much have to let him go.

To come out of a bye and give up another 500 yards and a fifty burger is inexcusable

I think final straw was the quick score at the end of the first half.

Why on earth are you not playing tight man on Michael Thomas in that situation?

Calling plays that you don't run in practice (Chiefs game, per Vontaze) was all I needed to hear.

Say what you want about #55, but he knows defense.

Guenther once said he Burfict knew the defense better than him.

And he knows the defense scheme Austin is putting on the field isn't working

2 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Calling plays that you don't run in practice (Chiefs game, per Vontaze) was all I needed to hear.

It was either Kitna or Scott Mitchell that said the same thing about Brat. Of course, we kept Brat around for another 10 years or so... 🤮

Agree that Austin has to go.  Today was the second time this season his defense didn't force a single punt.  That's on top of record setting yardage numbers allowed.  Whatever scheme he's running isn't just not working.  It's the worst in the league and franchise history. Austin looks completely out of his depth against today's offenses.  There's no coming back from these type of performances.  

I think the team is done for the year...they had two weeks to bounce this guy, let Marvin either get settled in or elevate someone on staff/make a hire...they did neither. That, to me, was the writing on the wall. 

A season that started with so much promise, unconventional choices and the like, has quickly spiraled into the all-too-typical bullshit.

In a great way I love seeing all the empty seats. Nothing makes it clearer. I just wish the godforsaken Brown family actually gave a shit and didn't have to be forced into taking progressive action.

57 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

I think the team is done for the year...they had two weeks to bounce this guy, let Marvin either get settled in or elevate someone on staff/make a hire...they did neither. That, to me, was the writing on the wall. 

A season that started with so much promise, unconventional choices and the like, has quickly spiraled into the all-too-typical bullshit.

In a great way I love seeing all the empty seats. Nothing makes it clearer. I just wish the godforsaken Brown family actually gave a shit and didn't have to be forced into taking progressive action.

10k or even 20k empty seats is a drop in the bucket compared to TV revenue & other shared money. 

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

10k or even 20k empty seats is a drop in the bucket compared to TV revenue & other shared money. 

Considering most of those seats have already been paid for you are 100% correct. Appearances mean nothing to the organization. 

50 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Lewis declined to comment on potential ramifications. Maybe a hidden sign one can hope.

The potential ramifications of firing the worst Defensive Coordinator is what Marvin?  Bad incompetent DCs won't try to come here looking for a paycheck because the Bengals will fire them mid season?  Dear Lord, we can't begin to demand accountability now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/12/report-bengals-fire-defensive-coordinator-teryl-austin/

Giving up 51 points to the Saints has cost Bengals defensive coordinator Teryl Austin his job.

Austin has been fired this morning, Josina Anderson of ESPN reports.

This was Austin’s first season as the Bengals’ defensive coordinator after spending the last four years as the Lions’ defensive coordinator. He has been mentioned in the past as a head-coaching candidate, but this year the Bengals’ defense has been a mess, and head coach Marvin Lewis has decided that it’s time to make a change.

Despite the ugly defense, the Bengals are 5-4 and still in the thick of the playoff race. Lewis himself will likely take a more direct role in coaching the defense for the rest of the season, as the Bengals try to find their way to the postseason.

Archived