Teryl Austin Fired

1 hour ago, Bengal Cat said:

I started to get on here and say that I bet the defense would definitely improve under Marvin...... but that would have been the "duh" statement of the year....lol. I don't even think Admiral Chuck could do any worse....Did I just say that?

Sadly I don't think that's anywhere near "the duh statement of the year".  I'll believe ANY improvement when I see it.  I just don't see how Marvin is gonna have time to:

1) stare off like a deer in headlights

2) clap, clap, clap

3) continue with his awesome time/game management skills

...AND...

4) be the defensive coordinator

Unfortunately I see status quo for the rest of the year and holding my breath on real changes during the off season.  Well maybe a "dead cat bounce" towards the end of the year if we're out of contention by then.

And I'd consider myself a "HOMER".    :)

2 hours ago, saphead said:

They need to play better. They need to coach better. WE need to post better. It's partly OUR fault. I personally plan on posting harder & better that way going forward and so forth. 

Pure Marvin...why even have a press conference if all you're going to do is puke out the very worst coach-speak has to offer?

“I’m not going to get into any observations today with that.”  

Then just stay home Marvin...if you're not going to answer a reporter's question, just stay the fuck home.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

If nothing else, between the firing of Lazor last year in season and Austin this year in season, it shows at least some amount of accountibility is starting to take place.

Lazor got promoted. Zampese got fired

Two years in a row, a major unit coordinator is fired mid-season.  Dysfunction much?  (as if we don't all expect it).

Austin should really be proud though, he really turfed this unit deep, deep into the ground.  Any of the Cincinnati-based folks around here have any juicy rumours about players not liking the guy, or similar?  There had to have been something more than just "he sucked and he was lazy and..", right?  Maybe not, maybe he is just that bad.

34 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Pure Marvin...why even have a press conference if all you're going to do is puke out the very worst coach-speak has to offer?

“I’m not going to get into any observations today with that.”  

Then just stay home Marvin...if you're not going to answer a reporter's question, just stay the fuck home.

He can't. League rules, you know (and there are soooo many of them)? 

1 minute ago, HavePityPlease said:

Two years in a row, a major unit coordinator is fired mid-season.  Dysfunction much?  (as if we don't all expect it).

Austin should really be proud though, he really turfed this unit deep, deep into the ground.  Any of the Cincinnati-based folks around here have any juicy rumours about players not liking the guy, or similar?  There had to have been something more than just "he sucked and he was lazy and..", right?  Maybe not, maybe he is just that bad.

Have no idea what "good" or "bad" really is in the NFL anymore. But, from my seat at PBS yesterday (yes...I actually attended), it appeared that whoever was on the field defensively, had no clue of what to do from a positional or play-calling standpoint. I lost track of how many schizophrenic substitutions were being made. Three would come on...they would look to the sidelines, and then they would run back to the sidelines...only to then stop mid-stride and run back. Of course, the three they were replacing were standing around pointing or arms extended going "What?". And this happened virtually every series. No one lined up correctly, rarely got set...a total clusterfuck.

is this on the quality of the player, or is this on the quality of the play-callers/defensive coaches? Perhaps rhetorical. 

3 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Sadly I don't think that's anywhere near "the duh statement of the year".  I'll believe ANY improvement when I see it.  I just don't see how Marvin is gonna have time to:

1) stare off like a deer in headlights

2) clap, clap, clap

3) continue with his awesome time/game management skills

...AND...

4) be the defensive coordinator

Unfortunately I see status quo for the rest of the year and holding my breath on real changes during the off season.  Well maybe a "dead cat bounce" towards the end of the year if we're out of contention by then.

And I'd consider myself a "HOMER".    :)

Won't be able to clap as he'll have a playsheet in his hands so that's one less thing to distract him :-)

Well, Marvin can't do any worse. It's almost statistically impossible. He's almost assured to look much better, at least in the early stages. The Bengals just finished playing the 1, 2, 4 and 12 scoring offenses in the last four games. The next four feature the 10, 17, 19 and 22 scoring offenses. The Bengals are also likely to get Vigil, Dennard and Burfict back during that stretch. In my opinion, the Bengals need to sweep Cleveland and win the Ravens, Broncos and Raiders to make the playoffs.

I think the thing that continues to stand out for me about Teryl Austin's defense was how many times the defense seemed to be totally bewildered. Frequently the secondary looked totally lost and didn't even seem to know what coverage they were in. That shouldn't still be happening regularly nine weeks into the season. 

Archived