Teryl Austin Fired

I think the Bengals evaluation process of LBs need to change.

Marv is (was) so enamored with the Ray Lewis/Vontaze type of LB.

245-255 lbs.

10-15 years ago these type of guys were ideal.

Strictly run stoppers.

With the evolution of RBs (Le'veon, Gurley, Mixon) now catching more dump off and deeper passes out of the backfield, this is somewhat eliminated that bruising LB type need.

We should start looking at hybrid LBs or big safeties who have some speed and weigh around 235-245 lbs

29 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

245-255 lbs.

Strictly run stoppers.

With the evolution of RBs (Le'veon, Gurley, Mixon) now catching more dump off and deeper passes out of the backfield, this is somewhat eliminated that bruising LB type need.

We should start looking at hybrid LBs or big safeties who have some speed and weigh around 235-245 lbs

Particularly one that can actually cover a TE

5 hours ago, SmoothD said:

245-255 lbs.

Strictly run stoppers.

The weird thing is, he used to love the small fast linebackers when he first came to the Bengals. In the early days he drafted guys like Khalid Abdullah, Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson and even Odell Thurman while picking up linebackers like Nate Webster.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

The weird thing is, he used to love the small fast linebackers when he first came to the Bengals. In the early days he drafted guys like Khalid Abdullah, Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson and even Odell Thurman while picking up linebackers like Nate Webster.

This is very true.

Unfortunately, Marv's epiphany was 15 years too soon :thumbsdown:

Here is my question.

Has the loss of Adam Jones hurt the 2ndary in terms of having someone there who knows where the guys are supposed to line up? ie: On the Field Leadership (let's not talk about his off the field stuff)

Because he was known as a guy who really did a lot of tape study.

30 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Here is my question.

Has the loss of Adam Jones hurt the 2ndary in terms of having someone there who knows where the guys are supposed to line up? ie: On the Field Leadership (let's not talk about his off the field stuff)

Because he was known as a guy who really did a lot of tape study.

How will our young players know how to shove a ref without his leadership?  Pacman Jr is a poor substitute. 

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

How will our young players know how to shove a ref without his leadership?  Pacman Jr is a poor substitute. 

Yeah I get that he lost his head more than once, but he was also the guy who made sure that the young kids lined up correctly and reports are he was a big film study guy. Who does that in the 2ndary now?

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah I get that he lost his head more than once, but he was also the guy who made sure that the young kids lined up correctly and reports are he was a big film study guy. Who does that in the 2ndary now?

Hell, who does that now for any part of this team? Those type of players aren't going to make the effort for a dysfunctional business; they're going to look for a way out.  Blowhards like Hue fill the vacuum.

I said as much when they made Pacman a team captain: if they're looking to him for leadership there's a problem.

Archived