Coaching Staff Changes

I am going to do this thread again. I am not sure what I believe about Marvin's return for next year but as a fan it's fun to speculate so lets just have fun. Please add your takes and I will adjust

• Head Coach: Marvin Lewis
  • Offensive Coordinator: Bill Lazor
  • QBs Coach: Alex Van Pelt
  • RBs Coach: Kyle Caskey
  • WRs Coach: Bob Bicknell 
  • TEs Coach: Jonathan Hayes
  • OL coach: Frank Pollack
  • Special Assistant: Hue Jackson

• STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons
  • Defensive Coordinator:  Marvin Lewis
  • DL Coach: Jacob Burney
  • Assistant DL:  Matt Raich
  • LB Coach: Jim Haslett
  • DB Coach: Daronte Jones
  • Secondary Coach: Robert Livingston

OUT

FIRED Hue Jackson-Browns: Already Fired

FIRED Mike Mccarthy-Packers: Already Fired

Probably Out

FIRED Todd Bowles-Jets: Bowles was on the hot seat last year and made it through. The Jets are 4-9 this year and still seem like a mess. The roster is a mess so he might not be a bad coach. 

FIRED Dirk Koetter-Bucs: The Bucs might move on from Jameis and it's the perfect time for a re-start. Koetter was on the hot seat last year and is likely to be gone this offseason. 

Gregg Williams-Browns: The Browns might try to keep their OC but Williams is too mercurial to keep around and the new GM will want his own guy. 

Maybe Out

FIRED Adam Gase-Dolphins: 7-6 record this year and lots of injuries mean Gase probably gets a 4th year. However he is 23-22 over those 4 years. 

FIRED Marvin Lewis-Bengals: Should be gone but this team does business very oddly. Need a replacement.

STAYING John Harbaugh-Ravens: The Ravens are 7-6 this year and 101-72 over his career. They may just want a change after 11 seasons. 

STAYING Doug Marrone-Jaguars: He is in his second year and they are under performing (4-9). The team is switching QBs next year and may switch coaches too. They have lost 8 of their last 9 games. 

FIRED Vance Joseph-Broncos: Joseph is in his second year and it's been rocky with some big wins and bad losses.  He's 6-7 now, an improvement over his 5-11 record last year, but they might make a change. 

Jay Gruden-Redskins: The team is on a 4 game losing streak after starting 6-3. Alex Smith and Colt McCoy injuries don't help anything. Career record of 34-42-1. 

Dan Quinn-Falcons: Falcon are 4-9 just a year after contending. Quinn is 33-28 overall and they dealt with some big injuries. 

STAYING Ron Rivera-Panthers: The Panthers are on a 5 game skid and falling out of the playoffs. They also have a new owner. Rivera is 70-54-1 over 8 seasons. 

FIRED Steve Wilks-Cardinals: Wilks is in his first year and has had to fire his OC. The offense has picked up some with Leftwich as OC and Wilks is likely to get another year to try to steer the ship forward. 

Probably Safe

Bill Bellicheck-Patriots: He will leave when he is ready. It may be this year with Josh McDaniel waiting in the wings? Eventually they have to rebuild right?

Sean McDermott-Bills: Buffalo is 4-9 in McDermott's second year but transitioning to a new QB probably gives him a break. 

Mike Tomlin-Stealers: Pittsburgh has lost 3 in a row and is stuggling. Tomlin's history of success likely means he stays. 

Jason Garrett-Cowboys: A 5 game win streak has the former hot seater in a good position to return. Thanks Amari Cooper trade. 

Pat Shurmur-Giants: First year head coach is 5-8 and probably has a very long leash with a new QB coming in this offseason. 

Matt Patricia-Lions: He is 5-8 in his first year. While that is down from last years 9-7 record he is likely back. 

Mike Zimmer-Vikings: I would love for him to be fired and come back to Cincinnati. The Vikings just fired their offensive coordinator and have under performed this season. They have lost the last two but are on the edge of the playoffs.

Kyle Shanahan-49ers: San Fran has had a rough year but his Franchise QB and top RB are both out. He is likely back to see what he can do with some health. 

Safe

Frank Reich-Colts: Indy is 7-6 in Reich's first year and competing for a playoff spot. 

Bill O'Brien-Texans: Houston is 9-4 and looking good. O'Brien is 40-37 over his tenure. 

Mike Vrabel-Titans: Vrabel has the team 7-6 and fighting for a playoff spot in his first year. 

Andy Reid-Chiefs: The Chiefs are 11-3 and have a legit chance at the Super Bowl. The offense is fun to watch and defense is improving. 

Anthony Lynn-Chargers: Lynn is 11-3 in his second year despite loads of injuries. 

John Gruden-Raiders: Oakland/LV is 3-10 but that is part of the plan after Gruden traded away some major pieces. 

Doug Pederson-Eagles: Philly is down this year but they might be getting their QBs coach back and a super bowl affords you a down year. 

Matt Nagy-Bears: The Bears are 9-4 and rolling. 

Sean Payton-Saints: New Orleans is 11-2 and Payton is there for as long as he wants to be. 

Sean McVay-Rams: McVay may be the hottest coach in all of professional sports. He isn't going anywhere. 

Pete Carroll-Seahawks: Seattle has won 4 in a row and fought their way back into the playoffs while remaking the D. Carroll should be fine. 

Potential Options from 2017, I will update and let me know who I am missing for this year. 

Offensive Coordinator
Pete Carmicheal, Saints OC
Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs OC:

Matt LaFleur, Titans OC:

Jim Bob Cooter, Lions OC:

Josh McDaniels, Patriots OC: John Carroll Graduate, Broncos HC (11-17)
Ken Whisenhunt, Chargers OC: AFC North (Ravens-Browns-Stealers 1997-2006) Cardinals Head Coach, 2007-2012, Titans Head Coach 2014-2015 (48-71)

Offensive Assistants
Dan Campbell, Saints TE
Zac Taylor, Rams QBs
Mike Munchack, Stealers OL Coach: AFC North (Oilers back in the day) (Stealers 2014-2017), Titans HC 2011-2013 (22-26)

Hue Jackson, Bengals: Browns and Raiders Coach, Bengals Assistant. Rumored heir. 

Defensive Coordinators
Kris Richard, COWBOYS DBS

Matt Burke, Dolphins DC: Former Bengals Assistant

James Bettcher, NYG DC
George Edwards, Vikings DC
Paul Guenther, Raiders DC
Marquand Manuel, Falcons DC

Jim Schwartz, Eagles DC: Ex Lions Head Coach (29-51)

Brian Flores, Pats LB

Special Teams Coordinators
Dave Toub, Chiefs:

Current Head Coaches
John Harbaugh, Ravens: Ohio Native

Vance Joseph, Broncos

Jay Gruden, Redskins

Ex Head Coaches
Jim Tressell, Youngstown State President: OSU

Bruce Arians, Cardinals

Chuck Pagano, Colts

Jack Del Rio, Raiders

Mike McCarthy, Packers

Mike Mularkey, Titans-Interviewed when Marvin was hired.

College Coaches
Jim Harbaugh, Michigan
Greg Schiano, OSU DC
David Shaw, Stanford

Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma

Chris Peterson, Washington

Matt Campbell, Iowa State

Urban Meyer, OSU

Matt Rhule, Baylor

Pat Fitzgerald, NW

2 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

What about Fox and Del Rio?

No to John Fox. Seems like he just doesn't have it anymore

Del Rio would be my first choice.

Schwartz my second.

Schiano my third.

My sleeper pick would be Matt Burke.

He actually called a great game when the Dolphins played us.

48 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

No to John Fox. Seems like he just doesn't have it anymore

Del Rio would be my first choice.

Schwartz my second.

Schiano my third.

My sleeper pick would be Matt Burke.

He actually called a great game when the Dolphins played us.

I think there are a lot of good assistants on a lot of bad teams. I'm hopeful Marvin is gone after this year and we get to get some to fill out the new staff. 

Chiefs-Patriots-Stealers-Rams-Saints

Class of the NFL

Chiefs

OC Eric Bieniemy

ST Dave Toub AHC

Patriots

OC Josh McDaniels

LB Brian Flores

Stealers

OC Randy Fichtner

DC Keith Butler

Rams

OC Aaron Kromer/Shane Woldren

DC Wade Phillips 

Saints

OC Pete Carmicheal

DC Dennis Allen

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Chiefs-Patriots-Stealers-Rams-Saints

Class of the NFL

Chiefs

OC Eric Bieniemy

ST Dave Toub AHC

Patriots

OC Josh McDaniels

LB Brian Flores

Stealers

OC Randy Fichtner

DC Keith Butler

Rams

OC Aaron Kromer/Shane Woldren

DC Wade Phillips 

Saints

OC Pete Carmicheal

DC Dennis Allen

Bears

OC Mark Helfrich

DC Vic Fangio

44 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Same thing could have been said about Nagy, Reich etc. You really have no idea. 

Did Nagy or Reich ever have their offensive play calling removed from them by their head coach?  I think not. 

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Both Reid and Pederson called plays. What are you even talking about?

I am talking about the Saints’ Carmichael.   Carmichael is listed above as one of the top Offensive Coordinators.  I am not sure that is the case since Peyton is very hands on with the offense to include calling plays.   Now if Carmichael is the one doing the heavy lifting during the week and preparing the offense then he might be a good head coach since he doesn't have a problem giving up the playcalling.   Certainly something to find out.

It always been my contention that Hue was the beneficiary of a pretty good offense and scheme handed down to him by Gruden.  Same goes for Gunther.  The 2013 team was an excellent team on both sides of the ball.  The result was Zimmer and Gruden both left.  We had a couple of years of follow in success kind of like how Barry Switzer had a few years of success after Jimmy Johnson.  It has been downhill since.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I am talking about the Saints’ Carmichael.   Carmichael is listed above as one of the top Offensive Coordinators.  I am not sure that is the case since Peyton is very hands on with the offense to include calling plays.   Now if Carmichael is the one doing the heavy lifting during the week and preparing the offense then he might be a good head coach since he doesn't have a problem giving up the playcalling.   Certainly something to find out.

It always been my contention that Hue was the beneficiary of a pretty good offense and scheme handed down to him by Gruden.  Same goes for Gunther.  The 2013 team was an excellent team on both sides of the ball.  The result was Zimmer and Gruden both left.  We had a couple of years of follow in success kind of like how Barry Switzer had a few years of success after Jimmy Johnson.  It has been downhill since.

But how much does that matter? Andy Reid called the plays in KC-Nagy was a great hire. Pederson called the plays in Philly-Reich seems like a great hire. 

41 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

But how much does that matter? Andy Reid called the plays in KC-Nagy was a great hire. Pederson called the plays in Philly-Reich seems like a great hire. 

I am not disagreeing with you.  The more important part of being a good coach is preparing the team.  Playcalling doesn't mean shit if the team isn't prepared properly.  Wasn't it Burfict who said they were calling defensive plays they had never even practiced?    I really don't know enough about the ins and outs of each teams' coordinator responsibilities.  Coordinators from New England have been shitty.  Reid has produced some damn good coaches. 

53 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Philly has regressed quite a lot since Reich has left so I'm not sure how much of that is true about Pederson calling the plays. I guess it could be bc of other factors though.

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Coordinators from New England have been shitty. 

Yeah, like him or not that says a lot about Belichik in regards to New Englands success. With that being said and I think this hypothetical has been discussed before, but could he have the same positive results here under Ol' mustys regime?

On 11/14/2018 at 10:33 AM, MichaelWeston said:

I wonder if ex Bengal Eric Bienemy would be an option. 

His OC when he was RBs coach in Minnie was Darrell Bevell, currently unemployed

Maybe Kris Ricard as DC or Vance Joseph. 

Bring in local Deland McCullough off the Chiefs he wants to leave. 

I doubt it.

Eric Bieniemy is currently the Chiefs offensive coordinator.

He isn't leaving the Chiefs 

1 minute ago, SmoothD said:

I doubt it.

Eric Bieniemy is currently the Chiefs offensive coordinator.

He isn't leaving the Chiefs 

You don’t think he would leave for a head coaching gig?  Keep in mind there may be better openings than here. 

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You don’t think he would leave for a head coaching gig?  Keep in mind there may be better openings than here. 

I don't think so.

This is his first year as an OC.

Stepping into a HC position from being OC for only year could be a little too much for him.

Archived