Coaching Staff Changes

On 12/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hypothetical Question:

If Merv moves upsatirs or out the door and both Jay Gruden and Zimmer are let go, which of those two would you hire as HC?

Zimmer every day and twice on Sunday. 

Did an update to the first thread. 

OUT

Hue Jackson-Browns: Already Fired

Mike Mccarthy-Packers: Already Fired

Probably Out

Todd Bowles-Jets: Bowles was on the hot seat last year and made it through. The Jets are 4-9 this year and still seem like a mess. The roster is a mess so he might not be a bad coach. 

Dirk Koetter-Bucs: The Bucs might move on from Jameis and it's the perfect time for a re-start. Koetter was on the hot seat last year and is likely to be gone this offseason. 

Gregg Williams-Browns: The Browns might try to keep their OC but Williams is too mercurial to keep around and the new GM will want his own guy. 

Maybe Out

Adam Gase-Dolphins: 7-6 record this year and lots of injuries mean Gase probably gets a 4th year. However he is 23-22 over those 4 years. 

Marvin Lewis-Bengals: Should be gone but this team does business very oddly. Need a replacement.

John Harbaugh-Ravens: The Ravens are 7-6 this year and 101-72 over his career. They may just want a change after 11 seasons. 

Doug Marrone-Jaguars: He is in his second year and they are under performing (4-9). The team is switching QBs next year and may switch coaches too. They have lost 8 of their last 9 games. 

Vance Joseph-Broncos: Joseph is in his second year and it's been rocky with some big wins and bad losses.  He's 6-7 now, an improvement over his 5-11 record last year, but they might make a change. 

Jay Gruden-Redskins: The team is on a 4 game losing streak after starting 6-3. Alex Smith and Colt McCoy injuries don't help anything. Career record of 34-42-1. 

Dan Quinn-Falcons: Falcon are 4-9 just a year after contending. Quinn is 33-28 overall and they dealt with some big injuries. 

Ron Rivera-Panthers: The Panthers are on a 5 game skid and falling out of the playoffs. They also have a new owner. Rivera is 70-54-1 over 8 seasons. 

Steve Wilks-Cardinals: Wilks is in his first year and has had to fire his OC. The offense has picked up some with Leftwich as OC and Wilks is likely to get another year to try to steer the ship forward. 

Probably Safe

Bill Bellicheck-Patriots: He will leave when he is ready. It may be this year with Josh McDaniel waiting in the wings? Eventually they have to rebuild right?

Sean McDermott-Bills: Buffalo is 4-9 in McDermott's second year but transitioning to a new QB probably gives him a break. 

Mike Tomlin-Stealers: Pittsburgh has lost 3 in a row and is stuggling. Tomlin's history of success likely means he stays. 

Jason Garrett-Cowboys: A 5 game win streak has the former hot seater in a good position to return. Thanks Amari Cooper trade. 

Pat Shurmur-Giants: First year head coach is 5-8 and probably has a very long leash with a new QB coming in this offseason. 

Matt Patricia-Lions: He is 5-8 in his first year. While that is down from last years 9-7 record he is likely back. 

Mike Zimmer-Vikings: I would love for him to be fired and come back to Cincinnati. The Vikings just fired their offensive coordinator and have under performed this season. They have lost the last two but are on the edge of the playoffs.

Kyle Shanahan-49ers: San Fran has had a rough year but his Franchise QB and top RB are both out. He is likely back to see what he can do with some health. 

Safe

Frank Reich-Colts: Indy is 7-6 in Reich's first year and competing for a playoff spot. 

Bill O'Brien-Texans: Houston is 9-4 and looking good. O'Brien is 40-37 over his tenure. 

Mike Vrabel-Titans: Vrabel has the team 7-6 and fighting for a playoff spot in his first year. 

Andy Reid-Chiefs: The Chiefs are 11-3 and have a legit chance at the Super Bowl. The offense is fun to watch and defense is improving. 

Anthony Lynn-Chargers: Lynn is 11-3 in his second year despite loads of injuries. 

John Gruden-Raiders: Oakland/LV is 3-10 but that is part of the plan after Gruden traded away some major pieces. 

Doug Pederson-Eagles: Philly is down this year but they might be getting their QBs coach back and a super bowl affords you a down year. 

Matt Nagy-Bears: The Bears are 9-4 and rolling. 

Sean Payton-Saints: New Orleans is 11-2 and Payton is there for as long as he wants to be. 

Sean McVay-Rams: McVay may be the hottest coach in all of professional sports. He isn't going anywhere. 

Pete Carroll-Seahawks: Seattle has won 4 in a row and fought their way back into the playoffs while remaking the D. Carroll should be fine. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Did an update to the first thread. 

Mike Tomlin-Stealers: Pittsburgh has lost 3 in a row and is stuggling. Tomlin's history of success likely means he stays. 

Dunno, Dr Weston.

If the Squeels fall completely apart these last few games, probably definitely will with the two News,

and end up as a wild card and lose, that could be all she wrote for him.

If Ben retires or dies, they may want to start with a new coach and new quarterback.

I don't think he's as popular with the troglodyte fans as he once was.

This may sound terrible but the best case scenario is a loss to the Browns. A bad one. 

1. Marvin gets fired. 

2. Maybe hue doesn't get hired. 

3. Gregg Williams maybe keeps the Browns job. (A positive for rival fans I think)

4. The Browns are off the market for Eric Bieniemy who I think makes the most sense here with his previous ties. 

6 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

This may sound terrible but the best case scenario is a loss to the Browns. A bad one. 

1. Marvin gets fired. 

2. Maybe hue doesn't get hired. 

3. Gregg Williams maybe keeps the Browns job. (A positive for rival fans I think)

4. The Browns are off the market for Eric Bieniemy who I think makes the most sense here with his previous ties. 

Bieniemy played here in the late 90s.  Why would he ever come back knowing what he already knows?  Job security would be the only reason. 

Our head coach next year already works for the Bengals. 

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Gee, maybe the guy would want to be an NFL HC?  

True but it tends to be the last place you are ever a head coach as well. Shula, Coslet and Lebeau.  

Besides, I seriously doubt the FO is going to spend the amount of time necessary to vet him properly.  Way easier to simply appoint Hue if the Marvin steps down. 

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Our head coach next year already works for the Bengals. 

I would imagine a large number of season tickets holders will refuse to renew if any one of these happen:

1. Merv is kept on

2. Merv moves on but Hue is hired

3. Mikey waivers for a long time and can't make up his mind

But I totally agree with you, next years HC is already here.

We shall hear more tales of injuries and 'bad luck' and 'we are on the right path'. Of course we are on the Road to Perdition.

Dear Belicheat - it's speculated that you will step down after this season and turn the reigns over to McDaniels. So - why not get the ultimate revenge on Cleveland by coaching their arch nemesis? 

I have a better shot on a 3 way with Carrie Underwood and Katy Perry, but I say if you're going to fantasize, aim for the top. 

17 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I really think even MB is smart enough to know that he has to get rid of Marvin and Hue. He sees the empty seats. 

He is far more stubborn that smart. I lean towards he holds on to either Merv or Hue. Any new coach worth his salt will want to see organization improvements and Mikey wants no part of that. 

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

"This team does business very oddly" should be printed on the stadium wall in place of a ring of honor. What an understatement.

Banner from last Sunday's game.  Speaking of which and the piss poor attendance, like the last number of games, an amazing large per centage of opposing team fans.

b1cc982e-92dd-47e7-b458-8e17b1c04363-121618BengalsRaiders_03.jpg

There were a few guys sitting in front of me in full LA-era gangsta Raider garb. I asked them why they were Raider fans. They almost answered at the same time: "We l-o-v-e Public Enemy!!" (and these fellows were maybe 25 at the most). 

The power of the cult of personality.    

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Better tell Mr. Blank too:

upload154501086366633_thumb.jpg

Read somewhere that Bengals attendance was around 75% over the season, and how that ties a low at PBS.  I wasn't at the gates making a tally, nor I have been to a game this year, but does 75% sound at all accurate to those who were?  It looks like maybe 60% at best on TV, even before the season went in the privy.

I think it's clear that attendance numbers are either being subsidized through bulk (probably discounted) ticket sales (to who I wonder?), or are straight bullshit.

Archived