Mental Midget Marvin on Tate

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/11/19/cincinnati-bengals-2018-notes-marvin-lewis-not-interested-playing-auden-tate-more/2061242002/

Marvin Lewis not looking to give more time to fan favorite Auden Tate, frustration undeniable for the team and addressing almost impossible woes at the end of the first halves.

080118 Bengals Cincinnati Bengals Training Camp Aug 1

(Photo: Kareem Elgazzar/The Enquirer)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

With the Bengals’ receiver room banged up significantly the last two weeks, it seemed the opportunity opened up for seventh-round pick Auden Tate to see some playing time.

The 6-foot-5, 228-pounder made a splash during the offseason program with his wide radius and knack for contested catches. Director of player personnel Duke Tobin thought he had a find in the receiver who he thought might have had the best hands in the draft.

However, Tate was surprisingly released earlier this month to make room on the roster for tight end Jordan Franks. He passed through waivers and returned to Cincinnati on the practice squad before being promoted in light of receiver injuries a week later.

With A.J. Green (toe) and Josh Malone (hamstring) out, as well as John Ross battling a groin injury that had him questionable, Tate came in on the first third down of the Baltimore game. On that play he caught his first career pass – one that came a yard shy of the first down marker on third-and-6. Marvin Lewis stated Monday Tate ran “short of the design of the route.”

Tate didn’t get another snap.

The vast majority of the work behind Ross and Tyler Boyd instead went to Cody Core, who took 62 percent of the offensive snaps. Alex Erickson had 16 percent.

Core was targeted twice, both incomplete, the last a drop on fourth down to end the game. Tate’s been a popular figure with fans clamoring for new blood.

Lewis didn’t hold back when asked Monday why Tate hasn’t played more the last two weeks.

“He’ll get there when he gets his opportunity when the time comes,” Lewis said. “His involvement in the offense is what it is. It’s a guy whose been on the practice squad for a reason. OK? So, he’s been a free agent for all 32 to take a look at. You see what I’m saying? So. Yeah. It is what it is. Not many times you’re going to take a guy off the practice squad and go win an NFL game with.”

Tate played seven snaps in mop-up time against Tampa along with backup quarterback Jeff Driskel and his one target fell incomplete. Couple that with his one play Sunday and you have Lewis building his case against him.

“He didn’t get the depth,” Lewis said. “And last week he dropped a ball in his opportunity. Again, we just got to keep going. Auden is a young player, he has some ability. Hopefully he’ll make some plays if he continues to get an opportunity down the stretch here for us.”

With Green trending to return and Ross catching a touchdown as he continues to recover from his groin injury, Tate’s opportunities might be dwindling.

That’s just something he gets used to as he works through the growing pains of his rookie year.  

“(Coaches) tell me things I have to work on,” Tate said. “I definitely have to work on a lot of things in my game and studying, too, there are a lot of things I have to work on until I am fully 100 percent ready. Just got to stay patient and keep working.”

10 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

“He’ll get there when he gets his opportunity when the time comes,”

It WAS his time so why didn't he get the opportunity?

Marvin just needs to STFU or speak proper English

I like the old chestnut "It Is What It Is".

With fuck with Marvin its "It ain't what it ani't".

Marvin simply needs to go.  NOW.

31 minutes ago, saphead said:

We need a young, hungry, offensive minded coach to navigate this new age Big 12 style football. 

That's probably true, much as I prefer the defense & power running that used to define AFCN teams.  What passes for rules right now are just a tool for keeping games "exciting" and making sure the good guys win.  At best they are random or simply absent.  Been saying for years that you can't rely on a pass rush but that's hardly even a thing now. We have to adjust somewhere.

Beyond scheme there needs to be a cultural shift, they need some kind of personality besides the ho-hum Clappy bullshit or some creepy old dude riding around in a golfcart tallying empty Gatorade bottles.  And definitely not some loser windbag trying to bullshit his way into it.

Focus. Drive. Intensity. Purpose. A plan. Another win while it might still matter. 

:thwack1:

Stop by your local Subaru dealer today for a guaranteed* one of those things!

Lewis said. “His involvement in the offense is what it is. It’s a guy whose been on the practice squad for a reason. OK? So, he’s been a free agent for all 32 to take a look at. You see what I’m saying? So. Yeah. It is what it is. Not many times you’re going to take a guy off the practice squad and go win an NFL game with.”

What a terrible statement that speaks volumes of a coach.  This narrow-minded and short-sightedness is exactly why the Bengals have stayed in this perpetual .500 football that can't turn the corner and always falls on its face.  We have a coach that can't adapt and change the system around it's players...and develop said players.  Will he be gone after this season?????

26 minutes ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

What a terrible statement that speaks volumes of a coach.  

Even worse, he said it about the guy in the media.

It came from the Cincinnati Enquirer and their online version.

Every player on the team read what their coach said about one of their own,

every player that "he could say something like that about me".  Well, except

for the stars and even they have to notice.

How does that go as far as winning the respect of the team?

Just one of the countless reasons he has GOT to go.

36 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Even worse, he said it about the guy in the media.

It came from the Cincinnati Enquirer and their online version.

Every player on the team read what their coach said about one of their own,

every player that "he could say something like that about me".  Well, except

for the stars and even they have to notice.

How does that go as far as winning the respect of the team?

Just one of the countless reasons he has GOT to go.

Agree 100%.  Just a very poor comment to make and very belittling and destructive.  Watch a Sean Mcvay or a Frank Reich interview...total night and day from a Marvin interview..

You mean, this?:

“We know the effectiveness of Tucker and where they got to get to and we have to be conscious of that,” said Lewis, who saw his offense have to punt on their possession. That punt was partially blocked, with a block in the back on Malik Jefferson on top of that. “Bill Lazor on the other side of the ball, we made him aware of that. That’s where we were. We took it down, we couldn’t take it down any further. Our attempt is to try to score as well, we got time off we got opportunity and we have to understand that.” 

Not seeing the "throw under the bus" allusion there. "Making (Lazor) aware" that they needed to move the ball down the field, is rhetorical perhaps, but divisive? 

A pass hits someone between the 1 and the 6, and it's dropped at the most critical part of the game. That is what needs to be called out. But, what could anyone expect from UDFA's and late-round draft picks, when an All-Pro WR should have been there?      

3 hours ago, Shebengal said:

And if you read down to the end of the article, it looks like he threw Lazor and the offense under the bus about the last series. 

But hey, the defense is OK.

(Sarcasm meter off.)

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You mean, this?:

“We know the effectiveness of Tucker and where they got to get to and we have to be conscious of that,” said Lewis, who saw his offense have to punt on their possession. That punt was partially blocked, with a block in the back on Malik Jefferson on top of that. “Bill Lazor on the other side of the ball, we made him aware of that. That’s where we were. We took it down, we couldn’t take it down any further. Our attempt is to try to score as well, we got time off we got opportunity and we have to understand that.” 

Not seeing the "throw under the bus" allusion there. "Making (Lazor) aware" that they needed to move the ball down the field, is rhetorical perhaps, but divisive? 

A pass hits someone between the 1 and the 6, and it's dropped at the most critical part of the game. That is what needs to be called out. But, what could anyone expect from UDFA's and late-round draft picks, when an All-Pro WR should have been there?      

Good catches and insight.

Wonder if Marv is getting ready to ax Lazor so Hue has a place to squat until Marv's

contract expires and he retires?

Would not doubt it in the least.

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Good catches and insight.

Wonder if Marv is getting ready to ax Lazor so Hue has a place to squat until Marv's

contract expires and he retires?

Would not doubt it in the least.

Boy we're getting into some fake news conspiracy theores here. I don't believe Lazor is going anywhere nor should he. Disclaimer. Harry if I'm wrong , you can hang me from my nutsack.

29 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Boy we're getting into some fake news conspiracy theores here. I don't believe Lazor is going anywhere nor should he. Disclaimer. Harry if I'm wrong , you can hang me from my nutsack.

Just trying to stir up some thought and conversation.

They have to find a bed to lie in.

Still wonder who it was that put Core on the field for the 4th and 1 with Tate and Mixon on the bench.

I thought the point was to put your best players against their best players and go from there.

Why did they even throw it to Core?  The two young tight ends have looked better than he has.

Way over my pointed little head.

It's like a snake eating it's own tail. Tate makes mistakes because he doesn't have much experience. The only way to get experience is to play. Marvin won't play Tate because he has no experience. Tate  gets cut/goes back to practice squad. Lather/rinse/repeat.

2 minutes ago, gupps said:

It's like a snake eating it's own tail. Tate makes mistakes because he doesn't have much experience. The only way to get experience is to play. Marvin won't play Tate because he has no experience. Tate  gets cut/goes back to practice squad. Lather/rinse/repeat.

Catch 22

23 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You mean, this?:

That would be it.

But I agree, Cody Core needs to make that catch but why were they throwing to him in the first place? Hubby even questioned that play call. 

Archived