For those few of you who don't hate Collinsworth

24 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The citizens of Hamilton County got fucked in that deal.  It is widely regarded as the most lopsided stadium deal in history. 

That really isn't the point.  An ex-player used local media to try to get Mike Brown's team run out of town.  I can see why he would hold a grudge. 

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

I don’t disagree.

I disagree.  Telling the citizens not to accept a terrible stadium funding deal and let the team leave if they have to, to avoid that awful deal, is NOT "running them out of town".  It's fiscal responsibility.  Of course, I'm on the "public shouldn't fund stadiums" side of the discussion anyway.  If NFL is a legit business model, then let it run.  If it's not, then let it go out of business.  Either way, essentially padding billionaire wallets with tax money is unacceptable.  It's not about win-win, or the benefits the locality gets from the team.  The City of Cincinnati should not be in the NFL business.  Especially not with the Brown family.

4 hours ago, CinciFan said:

I disagree.  Telling the citizens not to accept a terrible stadium funding deal and let the team leave if they have to, to avoid that awful deal, is NOT "running them out of town".  It's fiscal responsibility.  Of course, I'm on the "public shouldn't fund stadiums" side of the discussion anyway.  If NFL is a legit business model, then let it run.  If it's not, then let it go out of business.  Either way, essentially padding billionaire wallets with tax money is unacceptable.  It's not about win-win, or the benefits the locality gets from the team.  The City of Cincinnati should not be in the NFL business.  Especially not with the Brown family.

When I said I don’t disagree it ment I understand why Mike Brown would hold a grudge on Collinsworth. You must have come to the party late, I totally defended Collinsworth, not Mike Fing Brown.  Brown was pissed a former Bengal would call him out for extorting the Bengals fans with threats of leaving. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

When I said I don’t disagree it ment I understand why Mike Brown would hold a grudge on Collinsworth. You must have come to the party late, I totally defended Collinsworth, not Mike Fing Brown.  Brown was pissed a former Bengal would call him out for extorting the Bengals fans with threats of leaving. 

What he said.  My original point had nothing to do with whether Collinsworth was right or wrong.  He went directly against Mike Brown and his former team suggesting they should leave.  That's a pretty personal thing to do to your former employer.  I can see why Mike Brown would hold a grudge.  Maybe it's why Collinsworth seems to hold a grudge as well?

Very good memories of Collinsworth the player.  He was the first Bengals player to make the cover of Sports Illustrated (Paul Brown made it in 1968), and there was a very good feature story on that 1981 Bengals team in the issue.  

https://www.si.com/vault/1981/12/14/826209/catch-a-catching-star-give-a-listen-to-cincinnatis-rookie-sensation-cris-collinsworth-who-can-drop-a-quote-as-well-as-he-can-grab-a-pass

One of his quotes from the article came after the Bengals beat Houston to go 6-3, the first of a five-game winning streak to start the second half of the season, sending them from 5-3 to 10-3.  After suffering through 4-12, 4-12, and 6-10, I couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw it...

"The writers keep asking us, 'Are you thinking about the playoffs?' They expect us to say things like, 'This is a tough league,' and 'It's a long season,' but when they ask me I tell 'em, 'Go ahead and make reservations for Detroit. We'll be there in January.'"

Picture of Chris Collinsworth of The Bengals

45 minutes ago, schotzee said:

That's awesome. Too bad he turned into a stealer lover? Why? Anybody but them!:1018:  was he a fan of them before he became a Bengal? I don't get it!

The Sam Wyche firing (Mike Brown claimed he stepped down) was step one. After that Brown hired a totally inexperienced  Davis Shula who was so bad that Boomer decmanded a trade and declared he would not play for these coaches. Pretty much the decade of darkness and treatment of that Super Bowl team soured CC. The Pittsburgh thing is pure bandwagon bullshit IMHO. 

One of the things that gets me about Collinsworth the commentator is that no matter what game he is calling it seems like there are

three teams on the field, Team A, Team B and the Stealers.

"Ryan Shazier would not have let that happen"

"Antonio Brown would have had that for a touchdown"

What a putz.

I had this cover hanging up in my dorm room.

-

As for him hating the Bengals, I read an article once where he explained that he doesn’t hate the Bengals, but that the only games he gets to broadcast are Sunday night games and they are bad on Sunday nights so he’s honest.

1 hour ago, Shebengal said:

-

As for him hating the Bengals, I read an article once where he explained that he doesn’t hate the Bengals, but that the only games he gets to broadcast are Sunday night games and they are bad on Sunday nights so he’s honest.

That excuse makes sense about once a year.  I just can't stand listening to him yuk it up when Pittsburgh tries to kill people.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:31 AM, Shebengal said:

-

He's lying.

Archived