Time To Trade Andy Dalton

12 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I'm sick and tired of bengal fans making that excuse for Dalton. 

It's actually the other way around. You see this offense had great talent but Dalton couldn't do chit with them because he is garbage! 

Great talent?? Lmao

Where the fuck is it? 

Last time he had real talent around him he had a MVP-type season and had them in a position to get home field throughout the playoffs before he went down with injury.......2015, that was the last year he had REAL talent around him.

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

I just saw that one of SMH's threads was moved to Jesus. Can we move all of his threads to another forum? Like one that nobody ever goes to or doesn't even know where it is?

I will probably start merging some of them.  Just gotta figure an easy way to do it on my phone.

My money is on Andy being the starting QB in 2019.

And that's not to say that if there were better options to include the draft out there that I would be opposed to it.

But I say this because Marvin will be in his last year of his contract next season (We know Mike Brown isn't going to fire him as he hates paying coaches not to coach) as such starting a new QB in a head coach's contract year is simply not going to happen.

I think one of the big questions is...Have we already seen the best of Andy?  The Supporting Cast argument can be made both ways. There have been times but his Supporting Cast was shit. There have been other times that his Supporting Cast was better then quarterbacks that took their team a lot farther. If you come to the conclusion that his best days are behind him...do you go forward and try to build a great Supporting Cast for a quarterback that's on the decline?

15 minutes ago, Bengal Cat said:

I think one of the big questions is...Have we already seen the best of Andy?  The Supporting Cast argument can be made both ways. There have been times but his Supporting Cast was shit. There have been other times that his Supporting Cast was better then quarterbacks that took their team a lot farther. If you come to the conclusion that his best days are behind him...do you go forward and try to build a great Supporting Cast for a quarterback that's on the decline?

You've seen the best of Dalton.

Who are these QBs who magically become better in year 9?

Draft the next QB and either trade Dalton or let him play in front of the rookie for next season.

Hopefully he doesn't teach the rookie how to read coverages post-snap.

49 minutes ago, Bengal Cat said:

You have to factor in the coaches also. QBs without a lot of supporting star power and a good offensive scheme can go a long way. How far would Dalton go if he was in NE, KC, NO, etc....?

7 minutes ago, Hooky said:

You have to factor in the coaches also. QBs without a lot of supporting star power and a good offensive scheme can go a long way. How far would Dalton go if he was in NE, KC, NO, etc....?

He's had 4 offensive coordinators and 3 QB coaches. 

His career QB rating is 89.6

He's had a QB rating over 90 twice in 8 seasons.

He is what he is.

The guy from The Athletic had a great breakdown of Dalton INT compared with Driskel's TD.

Cleveland was playing the EXACT same defense. 

Dalton didn't read it correctly and threw into coverage while Boyd was open.

Driskel saw it correctly and threw the TD to Boyd.

That doesn't make Driskel anything special.

It just means that Dalton is replaceable.

15 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Brady in particular springs to mind.

What do you think he would look like on this team? He plays for one of the best coaches & organizations ever plus you aren't allowed to hit him.   He's also a HoF QB but his situation is the total opposite of Dalton/Bengals.

If Jud Raskal drags this wreck to the playoffs he has Brady potential, put it that way.

42 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He's had 4 offensive coordinators and 3 QB coaches. 

His career QB rating is 89.6

He's had a QB rating over 90 twice in 8 seasons.

He is what he is.

The guy from The Athletic had a great breakdown of Dalton INT compared with Driskel's TD.

Cleveland was playing the EXACT same defense. 

Dalton didn't read it correctly and threw into coverage while Boyd was open.

Driskel saw it correctly and threw the TD to Boyd.

That doesn't make Driskel anything special.

It just means that Dalton is replaceable.

Based on one play?

To be honest I really can’t remember any QB becoming a lot better or born again after his 8th season.  Maybe Warner in Arizona?   I just think you have to accept Dalton is a mid to late teens QB at best.  

Sure guys like Gannon and Plunkett had success later in their careers but they were on excellent overall teams. Plunkett wasn’t much better regardless,  Gannon was. 

Montana and Favre showed that a great QB can go to another team and play great but everyone eventually loses to the clock. I can’t think of an instance an average QB went somewhere and became great. I may be wrong. 

Just now, Hooky said:

Based on one play?

It's a microcosm. 

He's never been able to read coverage post-snap.

If a defense shows one thing and does another, as a fan, you have to hope that Dalton's pre-snap read is correct. He has no ability/ambition to slide around the pocket, keep his eyes downfield and find the open receiver. 

The guy from The Athletic says that this same play has fooled Dalton multiple times this year. It's the difference between a checkdown, a turnover, and a TD.

if you want to win in this NFL, you need the QB who can convert it into a TD.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/30869/andy-daltons-injury-could-force-bengals-to-look-to-future

Andy Dalton's injury could force Bengals to look to future

4:57 PM MT
  • Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals would probably prefer not to consider their future when they're still mathematically in the playoff hunt.

But whether they like it or not, they have no choice but to shake things up with Andy Dalton out for the season for the first time since 2015. The reins will now be handed to Jeff Driskel, who has been groomed by the Bengals since they claimed him off waivers from the San Francisco 49ers in 2016.

The Bengals clearly felt they had something in Driskel, and it was enough to keep him as the third quarterback on the active roster for all of the 2016 season. It was enough to give him the backup job over Matt Barkley this summer.

They felt comfortable enough with their options to not draft a quarterback high the past few years, and now they'll see if that was a mistake. The Bengals' only investments at the backup position since they drafted Dalton 35th overall in 2011 have been a fifth-round pick on AJ McCarron in 2014 and a seventh-round pick this year on Logan Woodside; neither is on the team now.

Whether the Bengals should move on from Dalton has been a topic of discussion for the past two seasons. If they wanted to do so, the time is now.

Dalton has two years remaining on a six-year, $96 million contract extension he signed in 2014, and the Bengals can move on next year without any dead money. They don't have a deadline, either, as he does not have any roster bonuses that would require them to make an early move. Their options will be completely open, especially if they wanted to draft a quarterback and trade Dalton.

But it seems unlikely the Bengals would be starting anyone but Dalton on Day 1 of the 2019 season barring two possibilities: a total change in the coaching staff or a monster showing from Driskel.

Dalton has shown in the past that he has the capability to be very good when surrounded by the right cast. Before he got hurt in 2015, he was playing some of his best football, and had eight games with a quarterback rating of 100 or higher. But he appeared to regress in both 2016 and 2017 once Hue Jackson left and Ken Zampese took over as offensive coordinator.

Part of that could be attributed to roster changes and shaky offensive-line play, but it was also enough of a concern to wonder if the Bengals should give serious consideration to moving on from Dalton. He appeared to alleviate those concerns at the start of the 2018 season under the tutelage of quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt, but as the injuries piled up, the offense seemed to sputter and take a step backward.

With the Bengals' season spiraling downward after losing five of the past six games, it has become clear that the status quo hasn't gotten results. Whether it's because of the massive number of injuries, or the bad defensive play, or the inconsistent offense, the Bengals' playoff hopes have become practically nonexistent.

The one positive from the Dalton injury is that Driskel will force Cincinnati (5-6) to change how its offense operates to some extent. Driskel is faster and more athletic than Dalton and can extend plays with his legs. And if he fails to generate any type of positive offensive momentum as the starter, the Bengals will know they need to go after a quarterback in some capacity, whether that's as a backup to Dalton next season or someone they can truly groom for the future.

15 hours ago, spicoli said:

Great talent?? Lmao

Where the fuck is it? 

Last time he had real talent around him he had a MVP-type season and had them in a position to get home field throughout the playoffs before he went down with injury.......2015, that was the last year he had REAL talent around him.

This is comical.

Your talking about the big game at home against pitt where Dalton choked once again as always! Like he has every big game since he arrived.

That pussy ass pass that was intercepted on the goal line by a D lineman. Then he broke his pussy ass finger trying to tackle the motherfucker.

I'll never forget this moment because I was here in Louisville sitting in a bar full of fucking steeler fans. That moment I had never been more embarrassed to be a Bengals fan. That whole thing was a fucking joke. Dalton should've been cut from the roster before he made it to medical.

Then something amazing happened. We got to see McScoot play. He showed Andy how to win a playoff game only to have the stooges (pacman,Burfict,Hill and coach Marv) screw it all up.

I'll admit. Dalton was a great draft pick at the time. He did exactly what he was supposed to. Fill in for Palmer's bitch ass for a couple seasons while we figured some chit out. After a couple seasons it was clearly evident that he was a good backup but lacked the ability to shine in big games. (Correction, he didn't even show up for big games, complete duds). For some dumbass reason they just kept trying him over and over for many more seasons getting the same exact results while refusing to give anyone else a shot. To now where we are today. The dude has to get hurt for the coaches to realize their is greater talent hiding under rocks and chit. Out cruising the strip on cheap Chinese made scooters and chit like that.

When we got to see mcScoot in preseason he looked better than 14. Everyone said oh BS blah blah prevent defense 5th string scrubs.  Then the kid wins us our first playoff game in a billion years in high pressure on primetime Saturday night. Played cool as ice. 

14 looked bigger faster stronger but that kid just had it in clutch situations. He should've been the starter the following season.

5 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

This is comical.

Your talking about the big game at home against pitt where Dalton choked once again as always! Like he has every big game since he arrived.

That pussy ass pass that was intercepted on the goal line by a D lineman. Then he broke his pussy ass finger trying to tackle the motherfucker.

I'll never forget this moment because I was here in Louisville sitting in a bar full of fucking steeler fans. That moment I had never been more embarrassed to be a Bengals fan. That whole thing was a fucking joke. Dalton should've been cut from the roster before he made it to medical.

Then something amazing happened. We got to see McScoot play. He showed Andy how to win a playoff game only to have the stooges (pacman,Burfict,Hill and coach Marv) screw it all up.

I'll admit. Dalton was a great draft pick at the time. He did exactly what he was supposed to. Fill in for Palmer's bitch ass for a couple seasons while we figured some chit out. After a couple seasons it was clearly evident that he was a good backup but lacked the ability to shine in big games. (Correction, he didn't even show up for big games, complete duds). For some dumbass reason they just kept trying him over and over for many more seasons getting the same exact results while refusing to give anyone else a shot. To now where we are today. The dude has to get hurt for the coaches to realize their is greater talent hiding under rocks and chit. Out cruising the strip on cheap Chinese made scooters and chit like that.

When we got to see mcScoot in preseason he looked better than 14. Everyone said oh BS blah blah prevent defense 5th string scrubs.  Then the kid wins us our first playoff game in a billion years in high pressure on primetime Saturday night. Played cool as ice. 

14 looked bigger faster stronger but that kid just had it in clutch situations. He should've been the starter the following season.

This may be the most idiotic thing I've ever read. Except for maybe your Driskell posts. Dalton should've been cut after throwing one interception while he was having an MVP season? I've been ready to move on from Dalton and try something else, but to define his whole amazing 2015 season by an interception that may not have been his fault is really stupid and should disqualify you from any objective football conversations.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:56 PM, SF2 said:

It’s simple QB envy. New guy’s like Goff, Mahomes and Mayfield are exciting and fun as hell to watch. Of course the o lines they play behind are excellent but we don’t talk about that.  

You have left out the fact that all three of these guys are mobile which helps the o-line look better.

57 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

One of Dalton's issues has been that he locks in on one receiver, so it is a legitimate criticism, IMO.  We'll see how Driskell does on Sunday.

I know that. But he was saying that Driskell is better than Dalton based on one play. We'll see if Driskell does any better in that regard and over all. I am not defending Dalton. I am ready to move on from him if there's somebody better. Driskell might be a better fit. I just think it's silly that people are saying that Driskell is better based on one half, let alone one play. I am intrigued to see how this turns out. I obviously hope Driskell sets the league on fire. But, silly me, I have reservations for some reason.

20 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

You've seen the best of Dalton.

Who are these QBs who magically become better in year 9?

Draft the next QB and either trade Dalton or let him play in front of the rookie for next season.

Hopefully he doesn't teach the rookie how to read coverages post-snap.

Thats my thing.  I like Driskel and think there is something there, but if not, please get aggressive ( a la KC) and draft a potential stud in waiting.  Why the fuck not, especially if they draft top ten next year.  

14 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Thats my thing.  I like Driskel and think there is something there, but if not, please get aggressive ( a la KC) and draft a potential stud in waiting.  Why the fuck not, especially if they draft top ten next year.  

I'm all for that. But what is Dalton's contract situation? I hate to bring up reality, but Mikey getting rid of Dalton may be less likely than his getting rid of Marvin. I'm pretty sure that Dalton is not even part of the problem in MB's eyes.

22 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I know that. But he was saying that Driskell is better than Dalton based on one play. We'll see if Driskell does any better in that regard and over all. I am not defending Dalton. I am ready to move on from him if there's somebody better. Driskell might be a better fit. I just think it's silly that people are saying that Driskell is better based on one half, let alone one play. I am intrigued to see how this turns out. I obviously hope Driskell sets the league on fire. But, silly me, I have reservations for some reason.

I never actually said that.

The implication I made was that if our backup QB can see something a defense is doing on his first try and our 8 year QB repeatedly cannot see it, how special is our 8 year QB?

my point was not that Driskel is better than Dalton, it was that Dalton’s play is at a level to where we should be actively looking to upgrade the position. 

Archived