Please don't hire Hue...we need a complete overhaul

With the reports yesterday "saying" the plan is to have Hue come in and succeed Marvin....Please, God...NO!!!  Marvin should have been gone years ago..but we all know it's been like groundhog's day here since.  Same ol' same!  Flashes of what could be..followed by reality.  We all know what to expect in big games...we all know what to expect when we play the Stealers.  We need a total cleansing of Marvin and Marvin's way of running the show.   Will that happen...we all are realist!

This quote on Gregg Williams speaks volumes.  Marvin and Hue demand no accountability.  We need a tough coach for this team to change the culture.  I think Marvin has lost the team.

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield snubbed former Browns head coach and current Bengals assistant Hue Jackson after the Browns beat the Bengals on Sunday and made it clear that he wasn’t happy about Jackson joining a division rival.

Mayfield’s numbers have improved since Jackson and former offensive coordinator Todd Haley were fired and other Browns found other areas of improvement under interim head coach Gregg Williams. Linebacker Joe Schobert said Williams has “done a good job of keeping everybody refocused” while defensive end Chris Smith pointed to Williams’ “no excuses” policy as something that’s benefitted the team.

For his part, Williams said teams “crave discipline” and he’s worked to make that a significant part of the picture for the Browns. Center J.C. Tretter agrees with that approach.

“It’s something that we desperately needed,” Tretter said, via Ohio.com. “I think he’s really reined everybody in and got everybody focused on one single goal. I think his leadership has been very strong. He fires up the team. He’s got that personality.The rules and what’s expected of each person on the team when it comes to penalties and missed assignments and all these little things, they’re spelled out for you. There’s no confusion about what’s going on.”

No one directly referenced Jackson the way that Mayfield did on Sunday, but it’s hard to see signs that Browns players are pining for the old days.

6 minutes ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

I agree 100%...

At this point who do you really love on this team?  Geno, AJ and possibly Mixon?  Who would be your untouchables?

I'm not sure why a coaching change has to come with dumping good players.  You don't usually see that with other teams. 

The reality is we aren't getting a coaching change.  (Hue Jackson isn't a coaching change) Mike Brown hinted at it last off-season when he said he didn't want to go through another coaching search.  He knows he is an oddball and any established coach won't have anything to do with the way he runs a NFL team.  He's old and doesn't want to work hard enough to find a decent young coach that will put up with his shit.  It will be Marvin or Hue next year.

Marvin Lewis is like the cat with nine lives. But it's like a hundred lives. There are so many times he should have been fired namely after playoff meltdowns in 2012, 2013 and 2016 and he sure as shit shouldn't have been renewed this past season. The guy is a milquetoast. He's complacent, thoroughly stuck in his ineffective ways. He's a smug bore who is about as inspirational as a wet fart. To follow up his years of suckitude with the worst coach in NFL history is not only idiotic, it's downright tragic. Hue Jackson is dogshit and should be sent packing along with Bill Lazor, not tagged for promotion. Bye Felicia.

1 hour ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

I agree 100%...

At this point who do you really love on this team?  Geno, AJ and possibly Mixon?  Who would be your untouchables?

In my opinion, nobody is untouchable, ever. Having said that, as for jettisoning existing players, I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense. Outside of the odd trade, there's not much return for trading players, specifically those who are 30+. I wouldn't trade Dunlap, Atkins or Green and I sure as shit wouldn't get rid of Mixon who is simply a victim of terrible offensive game planning. Kid is talented and actually gives a shit.

I do think they need to take a hard look at their roster and determine where there are cap savings for players who are simply not producing anywhere near their pay grade. I'd have to think Dre Kirkpatrick and Andy Dalton need to be assessed and it's high time to say goodbye to Chubs Burfict. This team definitely needs an infusion of reliable talent and it will take a solid draft and actual, active free agency to accomplish this. The Bengals are projecting to have $58 million in cap space (Hobson will whittle this down $14.27) and can boost this even higher with some relatively easy moves.

With some added talent AND a competent coaching staff they could very easily rebound in 2019. I know, ifs and buts... 

15 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Gregg Williams is a bounty-hunter psycho. Glad that rabble up there can enjoy him. He'll follow in the endless parade of ex-Browns coaches in due time. Petine was a "fiery" guy too. So was Butch Davis.   

So that means you want Hue to become our coach?  The only thing Williams brings to the table in this discussion is that there was no accountability or discipline in Cleveland UNDER HUE JACKSON.  BTW, the Saints players and fans LOVED Williams.  Won a Superbowl because they beat the shit out of Peyton Manning.  Yep, times have changed but its laughable that some think bounty hunting was only a Saints thing.

Just now, SF2 said:

So that means you want Hue to become our coach?  The only thing Williams brings to the table in this discussion is that there was no accountability or discipline in Cleveland UNDER HUE JACKSON.  BTW, the Saints players and fans LOVED Williams.  Won a Superbowl because they beat the shit out of Peyton Manning.  Yep, times have changed but its laughable that some think bounty hunting was only a Saints thing.

I agree. It's like speeding on the interstate. Lots of people do it, not everyone gets caught.

If we are going for a full or close to full rebuild there is no reason to keep Geno, Dunlap or AJ Green.   Use them to pick up draft pics or younger players to rebuild both lines.  Rebuild the oline first, draft a QB and keep Dalton who can be our Alex Smith to hopefully our Patrick Mahomes.

Mixon we should keep, he is on rookie contract and good.  

Definitely new coaches.  Someone who understands offense in the new "don't touch me era" of defense.

58 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Never said or inferred anything of the sort, as to the first question. It is simple right foot after left, that if some woebegone franchise experiences a modicum amount of success, it's always due to "discipline" or a "fiery" coach. Like I said, Butch Davis was "fiery". We'll see how Blame-Everybody-Baker likes him after another bad stretch. 

And you are right: bounty hunting was not a Saints thing...it was a Gregg Williams thing. But Sean was guilty by association, so he had to take the heat. Happy everyone down there liked him, but he was borderline criminal, and the entire plan of his was psychotic. 

36 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Never said or inferred anything of the sort, as to the first question. It is simple right foot after left, that if some woebegone franchise experiences a modicum amount of success, it's always due to "discipline" or a "fiery" coach. Like I said, Butch Davis was "fiery". We'll see how Blame-Everybody-Baker likes him after another bad stretch. 

And you are right: bounty hunting was not a Saints thing...it was a Gregg Williams thing. But Sean was guilty by association, so he had to take the heat. Happy everyone down there liked him, but he was borderline criminal, and the entire plan of his was psychotic. 

I hardly think Williams is fiery, just that he isn't a milktoast clapper like Marvin or Hue.  And from what is leaking out there was ZERO discipline there to include multiple instances of Josh Gordon just strolling into team meeting late if at all and Gordon being treated like Golden child when he was having his THC issues.  I would't call accountability and simple expectations like getting to work on time, being in training camp and learning plays on par with old school Woody Hayes discipline. 

And when did Baker Mayfield blame anyone?  He simply said things are better now that we have a play caller we trust and that he isn't happy Hue immediately went to a rival.  I remember people being pissed Kenny Anderson become the Stealers QB coach 7 years after he left the same job with the Bengals.  At least Mayfield gives a fuck.  

3 hours ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

Geno, AJ, Mixon, Eifert (I know, but still), WJ3, Taze, Williams, Gio, Huber. Given how much we suffered watching Tate too, kudos to Erikson for always making good decisions on the returns.

Coaching wise, Simmons can stay and the rest can get the fuck out. The thought of Huehuehue coaching us makes me long for the days of LeBeau.

4 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

In my opinion, nobody is untouchable, ever. Having said that, as for jettisoning existing players, I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense. Outside of the odd trade, there's not much return for trading players, specifically those who are 30+. I wouldn't trade Dunlap, Atkins or Green and I sure as shit wouldn't get rid of Mixon who is simply a victim of terrible offensive game planning. Kid is talented and actually gives a shit.

I do think they need to take a hard look at their roster and determine where there are cap savings for players who are simply not producing anywhere near their pay grade. I'd have to think Dre Kirkpatrick and Andy Dalton need to be assessed and it's high time to say goodbye to Chubs Burfict. This team definitely needs an infusion of reliable talent and it will take a solid draft and actual, active free agency to accomplish this. The Bengals are projecting to have $58 million in cap space (Hobson will whittle this down $14.27) and can boost this even higher with some relatively easy moves.

With some added talent AND a competent coaching staff they could very easily rebound in 2019. I know, ifs and buts... 

LOL, if there's one thing the Bengals ownership and FO are good at, it's that.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

If we are going for a full or close to full rebuild there is no reason to keep Geno, Dunlap or AJ Green.   Use them to pick up draft pics or younger players to rebuild both lines.  Rebuild the oline first, draft a QB and keep Dalton who can be our Alex Smith to hopefully our Patrick Mahomes.

Mixon we should keep, he is on rookie contract and good.  

Definitely new coaches.  Someone who understands offense in the new "don't touch me era" of defense.

But even with the guys you mention, we're already the second youngest roster in the league. I don't think we should shed talented vets like Atkins, Green or Dunlap while they are all still in their prime and/or in the midst of a team friendly contract. We need a nuclear option for our coaching structure, starting at the top. We need an infusion of fresh blood and thinking with our coaches. We should get younger there. We need Mike Brown to give concessions to a new, young, talented HC in the form of latitude to pursue worthy FA's that make the team better. How incredible would it have been if WE were the ones that landed Khalil Mack? We could have afforded him. Look how that ONE player has energized that defense in Chicago.

21 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

LOL, if there's one thing the Bengals ownership and FO are good at, it's that.

But even with the guys you mention, we're already the second youngest roster in the league. I don't think we should shed talented vets like Atkins, Green or Dunlap while they are all still in their prime and/or in the midst of a team friendly contract. We need a nuclear option for our coaching structure, starting at the top. We need an infusion of fresh blood and thinking with our coaches. We should get younger there. We need Mike Brown to give concessions to a new, young, talented HC in the form of latitude to pursue worthy FA's that make the team better. How incredible would it have been if WE were the ones that landed Khalil Mack? We could have afforded him. Look how that ONE player has energized that defense in Chicago.

All very good points.  I guess I figure AJ wouldn't want to stay around for a rebuild going into a contract year and would probably want to go to a serious contender sooner than later.  

And to be honest, Atkins has been AWOL a few games this year.  Maybe age is catching up with him. 9 years of NFL line play is what it is.   Not everyone is a Whitworth.   He too may simply want a shot with a contender sooner than later.   He has a cap friendly contract after next year so a team trading for him wouldn't be taking a gigantic risk being saddled with a bad long term contract. 

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Since when was Butch Davis "firey?"  If being a known cheater in college makes you "firey" then I guess he was.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

And to be honest, Atkins has been AWOL a few games this year.  Maybe age is catching up with him. 9 years of NFL line play is what it is.   

Maybe so, maybe it's the way the game is being called.  Maybe he sees another lost season and injuries piling up.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

All very good points.  I guess I figure AJ wouldn't want to stay around for a rebuild going into a contract year and would probably want to go to a serious contender sooner than later.  

And to be honest, Atkins has been AWOL a few games this year.  Maybe age is catching up with him. 9 years of NFL line play is what it is.   Not everyone is a Whitworth.   He too may simply want a shot with a contender sooner than later.   He has a cap friendly contract after next year so a team trading for him wouldn't be taking a gigantic risk being saddled with a bad long term contract. 

All possibilities for sure. And the Atkins thing...don't really know. I kinda assumed the new rule changes that have effectively neutered determined pass rushers was a big part of it. And the fact that due to those changes, a QB that's even remotely mobile like the last two we faced escape pressure pretty easily. We would have sacked Mayfield like 4 or 5 times if that game had been played even a year ago, I think.

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe so, maybe it's the way the game is being called.  Maybe he sees another lost season and injuries piling up.

Yeah. I hope your second sentence isn't true, but it's certainly possible and I would never blame a guy in the NFL, whom is for all intents and purposes an independent contractor, to not look out for their own self interests above all else.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/27/should-hue-jackson-have-been-able-to-go-to-bengals-after-being-fired-by-browns/amp/

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield doesn’t think Jackson should have surfaced in Cincinnati. And Mayfield wasn’t bashful about responding to an ESPN video featuring Damien Woody suggesting that Mayfield is being hypocritical because he transferred from Texas Tech to Oklahoma.

Not even comparable,” Mayfield said in a comment posted on Instagram. “I didn’t lose 30+ games be fake and then do that. . . . I wasn’t gonna have a scholarship. Good try though buddy.” (It would have been better if he’d closed with, “Buddy boy.”)

20 hours ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

I agree 100%...

Green

Geno

Bates

WJ3

Mixon

Lawson

Eifert

As for coaches I would like to keep Simmons and Pollack.

:lol: for Eifert

Archived