Please don't hire Hue...we need a complete overhaul

6 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

Most estimated cap space in 2019 1. Colts- $118.5M 2. Jets- $95.6M 3. Browns- $84.9M 4. Bills- $84.2M 5. Raiders- $73.1M 6. Texans- $68.4M 7. 49ers- $67.0M 8. Cardinals- $63.3M 9. Seahawks- $54.7M 10. Bengals- $54.1M

After handing out big extensions to Geno and Dunlap this year they are still $8.3 Mil under the cap. (Both guys got a $6 Mil raise)

I don't disagree with the extensions... But is that the actions of a club that's in "Win now" mode? If you figure we could have that $12M back, and take the front loading off Burfict's 2017 contract, and we could have had another $22M in talent on the field this year, not money being paid to guys for 2021. I've said it again and again... We always go in to the season with one hand tied behind our back. A hole left unplugged, a gaping need unaddressed.

The Bengals manage the cap very well.... As long as you don't mind not winning. They think (honestly) that if you play your cards right, and manage the cap well, eventually you just get lucky and win a Super Bowl. And when that day comes... They'll have all the cap space they need to sign their aging stars. Yeah, we spend up to the floor, but we do it by investing in future results. All of our "stars" have contracts that are either flat or go down over their lifetimes.

At some point you have to push your chips all in if you want to win the game.

10 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

After handing out big extensions to Geno and Dunlap this year they are still $8.3 Mil under the cap. (Both guys got a $6 Mil raise)

I don't disagree with the extensions... But is that the actions of a club that's in "Win now" mode? If you figure we could have that $12M back, and take the front loading off Burfict's 2017 contract, and we could have had another $22M in talent on the field this year, not money being paid to guys for 2021. I've said it again and again... We always go in to the season with one hand tied behind our back. A hole left unplugged, a gaping need unaddressed.

The Bengals manage the cap very well.... As long as you don't mind not winning. They think (honestly) that if you play your cards right, and manage the cap well, eventually you just get lucky and win a Super Bowl. And when that day comes... They'll have all the cap space they need to sign their aging stars. Yeah, we spend up to the floor, but we do it by investing in future results. All of our "stars" have contracts that are either flat or go down over their lifetimes.

The difference between the Bengals and every other team is that $8.3M goes straight into the pockets of the Brown family.  Every other owner, outside of Mark Davis, has business interests that keep their pockets lined.  The Browns have the Bengals.  Frankly, it makes sense.  If you were running a business for the benefit of your family, wouldn't you want to maximize your profit?  Mike Brown is winning the money game.  The Bengals play with one arm tied behind their backs for this reason.

It makes you envy the relegation system of European sports leagues.  There really is no pressure on Mike Brown to do it in any different way. 

29 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The difference between the Bengals and every other team is that $8.3M goes straight into the pockets of the Brown family.  Every other owner, outside of Mark Davis, has business interests that keep their pockets lined.  The Browns have the Bengals.  Frankly, it makes sense.  If you were running a business for the benefit of your family, wouldn't you want to maximize your profit?  Mike Brown is winning the money game.  The Bengals play with one arm tied behind their backs for this reason.

It makes you envy the relegation system of European sports leagues.  There really is no pressure on Mike Brown to do it in any different way. 

you could have stopped there. we all know it

why do I fucking root for this team????? 

Every team has to pay up to the cap on a rolling 5 year average. It is why the Browns paid stupid money ($16 mil) for Brock Osweiler and then cut him after camp.  The Bengals are no different. 

The Bengals are not considered cheap because of salary, they are cheap because they scimp on all the non cap amenities.  

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Every team has to pay up to the cap on a rolling 5 year average.

That's very true...

But most teams don't front load contracts so that the cap hit goes down every single year.

If you're an accountant, then great. You have $100 a night to spend on dinner, and you make sure to use some of that to buy gift cards for a future date. That's great.

If you're a contestant on Top Chef you're a damned moron for buying the lobster on manager special. You're an asshole for buying the "Sam's Choice" because it was 2 for 1 and you can use the other one tomorrow night.

Now, if you're rebuilding, etc... Yeah, front load those deals. When your biggest stars are all 30 and not getting any younger? When you are in "Win Now" mode? You don't save money signing Bobby Hart so you can extend someone you already have. Or cut Illoka to have cap room you don't need and less depth. At least we got rid of LaFell and kept Cody Core... The Bengals literally gave $12M to guys who were already signed for deals that will expire when they're 34.

Again, this isn't "Accountant Simulator 2018". This is competition... Go hard or go home. You want to spend 90% of what other teams spend, then have fun getting bounced in the Wildcard round. (If you're lucky) Hopefully those Cracker Barrel gift cards will make you feel so much better about losing. I mean... The team sucks this year, but look at all of that cap space! C'mon buddy... That's why you're a fan. All that luscious cap space.

What do you remember about the 90's? The Cowboys winning championships or their cap issues? How much cap did the Stealers have left after their last super bowl win?

Call me crazy, but I'd rather suffer some down seasons due to cap issues than be consistently mediocre to bad because Mike Brown is saving up for a trophy case.

47 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

That's very true...

But most teams don't front load contracts so that the cap hit goes down every single year.

If you're an accountant, then great. You have $100 a night to spend on dinner, and you make sure to use some of that to buy gift cards for a future date. That's great.

If you're a contestant on Top Chef you're a damned moron for buying the lobster on manager special. You're an asshole for buying the "Sam's Choice" because it was 2 for 1 and you can use the other one tomorrow night.

Now, if you're rebuilding, etc... Yeah, front load those deals. When your biggest stars are all 30 and not getting any younger? When you are in "Win Now" mode? You don't save money signing Bobby Hart so you can extend someone you already have. Or cut Illoka to have cap room you don't need and less depth. At least we got rid of LaFell and kept Cody Core... The Bengals literally gave $12M to guys who were already signed for deals that will expire when they're 34.

Again, this isn't "Accountant Simulator 2018". This is competition... Go hard or go home. You want to spend 90% of what other teams spend, then have fun getting bounced in the Wildcard round. (If you're lucky) Hopefully those Cracker Barrel gift cards will make you feel so much better about losing. I mean... The team sucks this year, but look at all of that cap space! C'mon buddy... That's why you're a fan. All that luscious cap space.

What do you remember about the 90's? The Cowboys winning championships or their cap issues? How much cap did the Stealers have left after their last super bowl win?

Call me crazy, but I'd rather suffer some down seasons due to cap issues than be consistently mediocre to bad because Mike Brown is saving up for a trophy case.

We are talking about two different things.   I totally agree with you that the Bengals suck shit when it comes to having a cap strategy that has the goal of making deep playoff runs.  Totally agree.  They do what they have to to meet the minimum and fill the roster with enough talent to do 5-11 or better.   

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

That's very true...

This is a nice long post but you are no StartMeUp sir!

On 11/29/2018 at 9:21 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

We always go in to the season with one hand tied behind our back. A hole left unplugged, a gaping need unaddressed.

The Reds were doing the same shit back when they were competitive a few years ago. Absolutely ridiculous.

Archived