Before some of you fit Dreidel for a HOF jacket.....

Has anybody pointed out the obvious? If so, I haven't seen it. Have any of you football experts that think Driskell is better than Dalton ever heard of prevent D? Mop up time? If Dalton didn't get hurt, he probably would've had the same success against a loose defense. Then you Dalton haters would've accredited it to garbage time. Also, throw in that they didn't game plan for a backup QB.

The season is over, so it will be refreshing to watch another QB play. Just like in pre-season. More entertaining? Probably. Will it translate to wins? No. 

Enjoy watching a new QB for the rest of the season. Just remember that Dalton will be back next year. As he should be. I would love for them to replace Dalton, if they get somebody better than him. It's not Driskell. Which should be obvious to anybody that watches football.

22 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I'd share more of the fresh hope in Driskell if we had a competent coaching staff but we..........

Yes, but there would be more hope with Dalton. A competent coaching staff would have a better supporting cast and better schemes. And probably wouldn't have Driskell or Dalton.

24 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Has anybody pointed out the obvious? If so, I haven't seen it. Have any of you football experts that think Driskell is better than Dalton ever heard of prevent D? Mop up time? If Dalton didn't get hurt, he probably would've had the same success against a loose defense. Then you Dalton haters would've accredited it to garbage time. Also, throw in that they didn't game plan for a backup QB.

The season is over, so it will be refreshing to watch another QB play. Just like in pre-season. More entertaining? Probably. Will it translate to wins? No. 

Enjoy watching a new QB for the rest of the season. Just remember that Dalton will be back next year. As he should be. I would love for them to replace Dalton, if they get somebody better than him. It's not Driskell. Which should be obvious to anybody that watches football.

I get your point that Driskel  hasn't proven anything by beating prevent defenses.  On the other hand that doesn't prove he can't play against a regular package.  We will see what he can do.

I am not in the camp that anything is better than Dalton.  Still, you never know until you see a guy play.  The Bengals weren't winning shit with Dalton at QB the rest of the season anyway.  At least we'll know what the Bengals have with Driskell after a few games.  As I mentioned in a different thread, his skill set is what you are looking for in a modern QB.  A guy who is pass first, but can run as well.  It makes a difference. 

Dalton wasn't killing it this year.  Ranked 24th in QB rating.  Hanging around with players like Stafford, Winston, etc.  Yes, the players around him contributed to that, but let's see if another guy can make a difference.  I'm looking forward to it.

14 minutes ago, schotzee said:

All true most likely!

I think so. I also think that if Mahomes went down, the Chiefs would keep winning. They can slide a backup in to that offense and still win. Look at the Eagles last year. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I get your point that Driskel  hasn't proven anything by beating prevent defenses.  On the other hand that doesn't prove he can't play against a regular package.  We will see what he can do.

I am not in the camp that anything is better than Dalton.  Still, you never know until you see a guy play.  The Bengals weren't winning shit with Dalton at QB the rest of the season anyway.  At least we'll know what the Bengals have with Driskell after a few games.  As I mentioned in a different thread, his skill set is what you are looking for in a modern QB.  A guy who is pass first, but can run as well.  It makes a difference. 

Dalton wasn't killing it this year.  Ranked 24th in QB rating.  Hanging around with players like Stafford, Winston, etc.  Yes, the players around him contributed to that, but let's see if another guy can make a difference.  I'm looking forward to it.

I agree. I hope it didn't come off as that he wouldn't do well. I said it wouldn't translate to wins. The D is still bad and who knows what OL and WRs he'll have. But I am intrigued as well. I just laugh at people that think Dalton is the main problem with this team. To simplify, it doesn't matter who the QB is on this team with the worthless coaching staff we have. Which ever QB is playing is fighting a losing battle.

44 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I agree. I hope it didn't come off as that he wouldn't do well. I said it wouldn't translate to wins. The D is still bad and who knows what OL and WRs he'll have. But I am intrigued as well. I just laugh at people that think Dalton is the main problem with this team. To simplify, it doesn't matter who the QB is on this team with the worthless coaching staff we have. Which ever QB is playing is fighting a losing battle.

I hear you.  I am just wondering what will happen with this team and the tone of the game if on the very first possession, Driskel carves up Denver and scores.   And then does it again on the next drive.  I want to see what happens if they get some confidence and dont start the game three and out on the first two possessions.  I believe it will affect the whole entire team.  I think Driskel has everything you want in an NFL QB and then some.  Size, Athleticism for days, huge arm, those are not attributes that Dalton possesses.  With that said, i would have to agree with you fully, in that Dalton is not problem number one for this team, not even close.  Where I kinda of get maligned with him is, he's had 8 years at this point too, lets see what some new blood can do, albeit forced into it at this point.  I hesitate to say this, but can it be any worse?  The only way i answer yes to that question is if, they win 4 of 5 or so and that is enough to keep Marv and the gang around.  On the other hand, i would love to see Driskel light it up.  Its a catch 22 i guess.  

I hope Jeff Driskel comes out and becomes the best thing since legalized cannabis in Canada. I'm a Bengals fan and the Bengals succeeding is what I want to see. I like Andy Dalton but, my wagon is not tied to his and if there's a better option...let's do it. I really don't see Driskel being the guy though. I think those hoping he's the answer are going to be sorely disappointed. A change is always nice and I've been hoping for a way to get someone in there other than Andy for a while. His injury provides a convenient excuse to see what a different QB can do. So, let's go Jeff Driskel!

I will say this though, if Driskel throws a TD pass to Auden Tate...this place is going to go fucking nuts.

Its not like we have a choice.  Andy is done for the year.  Hell we may begging for Tom Savage in 3 weeks.  Dan Majkowski lost his job to some Mississippi hillbilly Atlanta Falcon reject only because said hillbilly got a chance due to injury.   Same with Drew Bledsoe and 6th round backup T12.

These things usually don't work out but hell maybe we are due for a blind squirrel moment. 

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Its not like we have a choice.  Andy is done for the year.  Hell we may begging for Tom Savage in 3 weeks.  Dan Majkowski lost his job to some Mississippi hillbilly Atlanta Falcon reject only because said hillbilly got a chance due to injury.   Same with Drew Bledsoe and 6th round backup T12.

These things usually don't work out but hell maybe we are due for a blind squirrel moment. 

There's two examples vs hundreds of examples where the backup dwells in obscurity. But you're saying there's a chance. You never know.

Just now, Hooky said:

There's two examples vs hundreds of examples where the backup dwells in obscurity. But you're saying there's a chance. You never know.

I totally agree but again, we have no choice for the next 5 games anyways.  Hope isn't a strategy but its all we got.

7 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I hope Jeff Driskel comes out and becomes the best thing since legalized cannabis in Canada. I'm a Bengals fan and the Bengals succeeding is what I want to see. I like Andy Dalton but, my wagon is not tied to his and if there's a better option...let's do it. I really don't see Driskel being the guy though. I think those hoping he's the answer are going to be sorely disappointed. A change is always nice and I've been hoping for a way to get someone in there other than Andy for a while. His injury provides a convenient excuse to see what a different QB can do. So, let's go Jeff Driskel!

I will say this though, if Driskel throws a TD pass to Auden Tate...this place is going to go fucking nuts.

...and it'll be fucking awesome!

2 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I can already hear the PBS crowd chanting DRISKEL  DRISKEL  as he takes the Bengals into halftime up 28 - 0. AJ Green 3 first half TDs

Here's my prediction:

• We start feeding Mixon the ball
  • Horrible LT is replaced with one at least close to average
  • AJ Green & other players return
  • Offensive playcalling is dialed back to simple, high % plays

Then like magic the offense starts to look better.

"OMG Driskell > Dalton!!"

Archived