Andre Smith is back

8 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

WHO was responsible for picking this guy?

Marvin?  Tobin?  The ketchup guy?  Hue?

As the Assistant HC as well as OL coach I'd think he had to be the one & that's why he's got more time to work on his writing these days.

23 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

WHO was responsible for picking this guy?

Marvin?  Tobin?  The ketchup guy?  Hue?

Honestly... Someone made the genius decision to let Whitworth walk after they had this guy in the building for a year... They KNEW what they had! No one gets to wash their hands of this stink. I blame the mother-fucker who cooks eggs at training camp on up for that colossal blunder.

Maybe Ogbuehi is like, great at practice or something. I mean, I know our coaches are incompetent in many areas, but they'd been drafting pretty well leading up to that draft,then taking offensive tackles back to back in that draft 1-2. Surely they saw something, right?

17 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Surely they saw something, right?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cedric-ogbuehi?id=2552355

I mean, you can read the draft profile. He's a big long guy who's quick on his feet, but he lacks the strength and technique to go up against NFL DE's. Has he done anything to develop that? No heart, no balls. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Fisher was a more polished tackle who was more limited physically. It's really hard to say what his career could have been if it hadn't been for the illness and injuries. He's basically spent every offseason trying to get back where he was instead of trying to improve upon it. The one year he started at RT he was pretty OK for a guy getting his first games under his belt.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/11/28/18115460/bengals-weekly-lineman-examining-the-drop-off-from-cordy-glenn-at-left-tackle

I actually though Fisher did pretty well in his limited time at LT.

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Ogbuehi is easily the bigger bust. He was a first round pick, Fisher was a 2nd. Ogbuehi is the guy who encouraged us to let Whitworth walk. 

BS! He was a free agent, so they didn't have much choice. He was going to leave any way. 

I still think it was Whit only being offered another one year deal like he had something to prove.  I am sure the Bengals were thinking to move Whit inside as a guard sometime soon.  And they couldn't do a long term contract and pay left tackle salary to a left guard.

That would go against everything the Bengals Family Trust stands for.

52 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I still think it was Whit only being offered another one year deal like he had something to prove.  I am sure the Bengals were thinking to move Whit inside as a guard sometime soon.  And they couldn't do a long term contract and pay left tackle salary to a left guard.

That would go against everything the Bengals Family Trust stands for.

You mean like winning?

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

BS! He was a free agent, so they didn't have much choice. He was going to leave any way. 

Nope. Whit wanted to stay. Was vocal about it. That's why Katie thought she could lowball him... Which insulted the hell out of him.

But hey, we had that money to extend Burfict for $11M a year and that was totally worth it, right? We were even able to front load that thing with like $10M in cash! We all know Linebacker is just as important a position as Left Tackle. And really, who would you rather have right now, Burfict or Whitworth?

42 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Nope. Whit wanted to stay. Was vocal about it. That's why Katie thought she could lowball him... Which insulted the hell out of him.

But hey, we had that money to extend Burfict for $11M a year and that was totally worth it, right? We were even able to front load that thing with like $10M in cash! We all know Linebacker is just as important a position as Left Tackle. And really, who would you rather have right now, Burfict or Whitworth?

Cant we just all pretend everything is good and have a Merry Christmas?  I would love to have the old Burfict back, not the guy who showed up out of shape and doesn't seem to care anymore.  Yeah, I know, the reason he can't make plays anymore is he is afraid he will get fined.  Got it.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

He was driving his price up by saying he wanted to stay here and it worked. I wosh Whitworth was still here so people would quit crying about it.  He left. Move on.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

He was driving his price up by saying he wanted to stay here and it worked. I wosh Whitworth was still here so people would quit crying about it.  He left. Move on.

He didn’t need to drive his price up, he was and still is  an all pro left tackle. 

42 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Yeah, letting Whitworth walk was a colossal blunder. Team leader, great and underrated player. Shoulda paid the guy. Ah well. C'est la vie I guess. My favorite player too. What a shame.

It's not even entirely that for me (though, yes) but that they let him walk for Ogbuehi.  Then watched him flail for another year & their answer was a guy who hasn't been healthy since 2015, with Ogbuehi as backup.

Glenn predictably goes down again, they start Ced for all of one game and it's straight to a street FA.

Why the fuck is Ogbuehi on this roster?

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It's not even entirely that for me (though, yes) but that they let him walk for Ogbuehi.  Then watched him flail for another year & their answer was a guy who hasn't been healthy since 2015, with Ogbuehi as backup.

Glenn predictably goes down again, they start Ced for all of one game and it's straight to a street FA.

Why the fuck is Ogbuehi on this roster?

Probably because Mike Brown is too cheap to cut a 1st round player he's paid and is paying big money to. Dude doesn't even belong in the NFL at this point he's so bad.

23 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Probably because Mike Brown is too cheap to cut a 1st round player he's paid and is paying big money to. Dude doesn't even belong in the NFL at this point he's so bad.

That's what I don't understand, though.  The guaranteed money is gone, it's just that; guaranteed.  It was spent as soon as he signed the contract, it's not coming back.  The game checks, whatever roster or other bonuses on the other hand, Ced only sees those if he's suited up.  Droopy is actually paying him more money by not cutting him.

Maybe I've got that wrong somewhere, but afaik it's just throwing good money after bad.  What's the point?

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

That's what I don't understand, though.  The guaranteed money is gone, it's just that; guaranteed.  It was spent as soon as he signed the contract, it's not coming back.  The game checks, whatever roster or other bonuses on the other hand, Ced only sees those if he's suited up.  Droopy is actually paying him more money by not cutting him.

Maybe I've got that wrong somewhere, but afaik it's just throwing good money after bad.  What's the point?

I'm still going with waiving him at the end of the season will get a comp draft pick for a former first rounder.

Probably get something for Fisher, too.  And Dennard if he walks.

Other owners build teams.

Mike collects comp draft picks to get more underachieving picks like Malick Jefferson.

Might be different if he used some of those picks to package and trade UP and get a difference maker rather than another Ogbuhei or John Ross.

57 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I'm still going with waiving him at the end of the season will get a comp draft pick for a former first rounder.

Probably get something for Fisher, too.  And Dennard if he walks.

Oh shit, right, forgot about the coveted comp picks.  However the way I understand it those pick are mostly based on player production & whether they are signed elsewhere?  Simply being a former 1st round pick doesn't count for much in their super secret (read: bullshit) formula, beyond the salary that comes with it.  As far as production or postseason awards.. LOL.

I suppose a 5th round or higher pick is better than nothing but Dennard is the only one of those 3 I could see landing on another team.  I guess Fisher has played a little bit but Ced..  Is some 2nd-day draft pick worth the hidden costs of keeping a bum on your roster? Like you said, they'd rather win discount draft picks than anything that matters outside their accounting office.  It's fucked.

Archived