Jump to content

Recommended Posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000994239/article/marvin-lewis-bengals-future-in-doubt-andy-dalton-set-to-return?campaign=Twitter_atn

Marvin Lewis' Bengals future in doubt; Dalton set to return in '19

  facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
  • 0ap1000000022400.jpg
  • By Ian Rapoport
 
 

 

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's season has ended on injured reserve, but his future for 2019 is secure. Sources say the starter is expected to be back next season, and his thumb surgery won't change that.

The status of his head coach is much more in doubt.

 

Cincinnati generated headlines last year when they brought back Marvin Lewis on what was announced as a two-year contract. As owner Mike Brown said, "we have full confidence in Marvin to re-establish winning football in 2018."

 

What the Bengals did not do, sources now say, was commit to Lewis beyond this season. Though billed as a two-year contract, the belief is it's actually a one-year deal with a team option for 2019. That essentially means the Bengals can walk away from Lewis without a monetary penalty following the season. 

 

"Our standard and normal response to inquiries about contract details is that we do not disclose details about our contracts with players or coaches," a team spokesman said.

As we learned last year, it's too early in the season to know for sure whether or not Lewis' 16-year run is over. The thought last year was Lewis was done in Cincy before the Bengals won their final two games and Lewis saved himself.

 

With potential successor Hue Jackson in the building, Lewis also could move to the front office. That's a possibility.

The Bengals were 4-1 at one point this season. But thanks in part to an incredible number of injuries, they've now lost three in a row. Still, it's fair to say Lewis' future is in doubt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're just going to make Hue the HC who cares.. 

 

Nothing changes with MB at the helm. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If they're just going to make Hue the HC who cares.. 

 

That's like finding a pony under the Christmas tree, then realizing it's dead.

 

:2dedhorse:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really hoping NO to Marvin in the Front Office.  He seems to be aligned with the thinking that Hue would make a good head coach which is a deal breaker for me.

 

I remember a few years ago MB saying he was passing the most of the team's responsibility to Kate and Marvin.  He is just as responsible for the team's problems today as anyone else.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I am really hoping NO to Marvin in the Front Office.  He seems to be aligned with the thinking that Hue would make a good head coach which is a deal breaker for me.

 

I remember a few years ago MB saying he was passing the most of the team's responsibility to Kate and Marvin.  He is just as responsible for the team's problems today as anyone else.  

 

 

 

 

He said that, but they've also said he & Clappy have daily meetings.  He's still involved in day-to-day operations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

 

He said that, but they've also said he & Clappy have daily meetings.  He's still involved in day-to-day operations.  

I agree 100%.  I am sure MB has never given up his authority on a lot of things.  I do think that after all the years Marvin has been here he has enough of his clapping hands into the workings of the Bengals to justify a complete and total separation between him and the organization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have alot less enthusiasm for ML in a front office position than I did 3 years ago. Honestly I just want him gone and take Hue with him.

Need to clear the stink out of this franchise and Marvin can't do it. He has no respect from the players who quit on him, MB would be insane to promote him to the FO.

 

Whatever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I certainly don't want Hue running things but firing or not renewing Marvin is the first step toward respectability.

The Bengals will be the laughingstock of the league if Marvin is fired and replaced by Hue Jackson.  It will be a media shit show. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

The Packers have Fired McCarthy and MFB sits there with his thumb up his arse!  

Amazing. It's just fucking amazing that we still have Clappy McFuckstick on the sidelines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals will be the laughingstock of the league if Marvin is fired and replaced by Hue Jackson.  It will be a media shit show. 

 

Maybe that would be good?  Constant & total humiliation might be the only thing to get MB to give it up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Maybe that would be good?  Constant & total humiliation might be the only thing to get MB to give it up.

Totally agree.  Unfortunately, I really don’t think the Brown family cares. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Totally agree.  Unfortunately, I really don’t think the Brown family cares. 

 

IDK, maybe not but I'd hope someone there has a little pride.   Thing is, national sports media is happy enough just ignoring us and obviously the local fans bellyaching doesn't register.  It'd have to get really, really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Sure does by golly. 

26 years and counting, by golly I am right and you never ever will be.  Are you bipolar?  Not that it is a bad thing, but just asking for a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, westside bengal said:

I figure with only 4 games left they wouldnt fire Marvin until after the season anyway.

Why keep him on?  You would show the fans you might at least care a little bit.  Nah, Let’s keep it the way it has been done for 26 straight years.  Why change?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I don't think MB cares that Bengal fans don't think he cares.....

 

I said it before but I think he wants to be right & have his way of doing things vindicated more than he wants to win.  He'd rather lose than admit he's inept.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

I said it before but I think he wants to be right & have his way of doing things vindicated more than he wants to win.  He'd rather lose than admit he's inept.  

I think some of that too.  But when I sit and think about the Bengals never winning a playoff game since Paul Brown himself was alive or since the beginning of free agency does he really believe he is fooling anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically we're still mathematically in the hunt.

I predict that after we get blown out in LA next week and are completely eliminated. A move will be made.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, westside bengal said:

I think some of that too.  But when I sit and think about the Bengals never winning a playoff game since Paul Brown himself was alive or since the beginning of free agency does he really believe he is fooling anyone?

 

Does he think people believe he's signing the Pacmans of the NFL because he's such a Godly Redeemer and not just bargain shopping?  Hard to say. Nobody lies to us as convincingly as ourselves, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×