Buh Bye, Marvin?

13 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Former Bengal as as well.

Eric Bienemy

You really have to wonder if anyone who has worked for Mike Brown in the past would really be all that interested in doing it all over again.

Just saying - Where posters seem to believe it's a given that a former Bengal would be more interested, I propose that anyone who was truly familiar with the Brown family might be even less inclined to want to work for them.

Really, for any coach... Would you rather be in Cincy, or Green Bay?

I'm not so sure that Hue gets the job once Marv leaves.

He has been awfully quiet these past few weeks.

I believe the comments Baker Mayfield and some of the Browns players made about him, now have people second guessing him.

27 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I'm not so sure that Hue gets the job once Marv leaves.

He has been awfully quiet these past few weeks.

I believe the comments Baker Mayfield and some of the Browns players made about him, now have people second guessing him.

I was the worst head coach ever and got fired mid-season, but my reputation didn't take a complete nosedive until I stood on the Bengals sideline. ~Hue "Ms." Jackson

SI thinks differently:

Linky: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/11/29/sis-orr-bengals-would-have-top-job-opening-if-marvin-lewis-fired/2148979002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

SI.com's Orr: If Cincinnati Bengals fire Marvin Lewis, they'll have best NFL job opening

The Cleveland Browns are the only National Football League team that we know will seek a new head coach or promote Gregg Williams, their interim head coach. Everything else is speculation. That said ...

SI.com predicts eight NFL teams - including the Cincinnati Bengals - could replace head coaches. And The MMQB's Conor Orr sees the Bengals as the most attractive destination of those eight projected vacancies.

From Orr:

1. Cincinnati: This drew chuckles on the podcast, but here’s why I’m serious: This organization has proven they’ll be (overly) patient and won’t meddle. If you’re a young coach with a family and kids in school looking for job security, this is gigantic. EVP Katie Blackburn has proven to be a strong negotiator and cap planner. Assuming Marvin Lewis doesn’t ascend to some nebulous front office role where he’s able to meddle in decision-making (a big IF), you can plan on being there for a little while. You’ll have time to burn whatever is left to the ground, but will still have a year or two of A.J. Green’s prime left to work with.

In addition, SI.com's Albert Breer and Andrew Perloff agreed that it's time for an overhaul in Cincinnati, and Bart Scott insisted that he expects the Bengals to replace Marvin Lewis with special assistant to the head coach and former Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson.

This was from last week, before the Packers let McCarthy go.  The ranking of the other seven projected coaching vacancies were:

1. Cincinnati (see above)
  2. NY Jets - Another job where ownership seems to have taken more of a pragmatic view. Christopher Johnson has taken the reigns from his brother, Woody, to rave reviews. He gave Todd Bowles room to work, and though it didn’t work out, I’m not sure Bowles will have much to complain about on his way out. You’ll walk into a job that has a promising but relatively blank canvas at quarterback (Sam Darnold) and a boatload of cap space.
  3. Cleveland - Dorsey seems like one of the better general managers to work under and the young talent on this roster is insanely good. This is both the attraction and the drawback: If you’re good, you could easily reach the playoffs in your first two years with a boatload of stars still on their rookie deals. If you’re not good, the Browns will find someone else to elevate Baker Mayfield.
  4. Baltimore - A good mix of young talent and a quarterback in Lamar Jackson who provides some exciting possibilities for your offense. Another ownership group that seems patient, and the football world has nothing but rave reviews for incoming GM Eric Decosta.
  5. Green Bay - Fun for the right coach, but difficult for someone who may not be used to a quarterback that pushes back and likes to run the show. Having Aaron Rodgers for the remainder of his prime is the best part of this job, but also comes with myriad stresses. Dig into Packer teams over the past decade and you’ll find that it takes a brain surgeon type to match wits with the franchise quarterback.
  6. Arizona - You have a good, young quarterback who can develop into something special and a great receiving back. The defense has some pieces, too. The division is loaded, but the roster rebuild should buy a good coach some time to tinker.
  7. Denver - An old roster that is going to be plucked apart. Starting over (again) at the quarterback position. A demanding, Super Bowl-winning personnel head in John Elway. This job can be one of the best in the NFL if things are going your way, but it can get tense pretty quickly when the losses stack up.
  8. Tampa Bay - You’re likely starting over with a new QB or thrust into the middle of a blind evaluation on Jameis Winston before his fifth-year option is up. Outside of Mike Evans, O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate, are you salivating to work with the assembled personnel? And do you feel you can make headway in a very good NFC South?

You guys think I should polish off my resume?  I've got 30 years coaching and personnel management experience.  I was drafted HoFers Jerry Rice, Dan Marino, and many others.  I've got three World Championships under my belt, just went 11-2 and set the league record for offensive scoring, and my wife makes some awesome fried chicken.  

ChickenGirl.jpg

I think Marvin is likely finished. It's silly to think that a good candidate would not take the job. There are only 32 of them available. If this was such a shitty organization why would Geno, Dunlap, or anyone for that matter, sign extensions to stay here? Misery loves company.

25 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

I think Marvin is likely finished. It's silly to think that a good candidate would not take the job.

Not really. You're setup for failure in this present organization. If you're a young up and coming creative football coach, no way you risk it here. Jmo.

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The Bengals is the #1 job opportunity because you can suck at it and not get fired. That's what I read from SI. And really, the coach who thinks that's a bonus is who we don't want and who were going to get.

Yes, basically a government job. And if they move Merv upstairs, it would be just like the government as they like to "Promote until they find your absolute level of incompetence"

3 hours ago, OneHeartBeat said:

I think Marvin is likely finished. It's silly to think that a good candidate would not take the job. There are only 32 of them available. If this was such a shitty organization why would Geno, Dunlap, or anyone for that matter, sign extensions to stay here? Misery loves company.

As far as Geno is concerned he had 2 options:  Sign a very nice generationally wealthy $25 mil guaranteed contract now or take his chances by playing on the last year of his deal for WAY LESS money ($8mil) and hope he didn't get hurt.  Also has to hope he doesn't get tagged the following year.  Looking back, he has had a little bit of a down year and rolling the dice may have cost him millions.   Its not as simple as I want to go somewhere else because this team sucks, there is huge monetary risk involved.  Bell didn't take any chances and sat out an entire season because he refused to play under the tag again.   

Its the same reason Matthew Stafford has been a Lion all his career.  Play another season for $17 mil or sign an extension with $60 mil guaranteed.  Its not rocket surgery. 

Dunlap was in same boat. 

BTW, here is one option I didn't think of:  https://www.gofundme.com/help-buy-the-c ... m9rfpJMJJc

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2018/12/04/tml-bengals-marvin-lewis-packers-xavier-uc-crosstown-shootout/2201334002/

Doc's Morning Line: Marvin Lewis says he doesn't worry about being fired. I believe him.

Paul Daugherty, @EnquirerDocPublished 11:16 a.m. ET Dec. 4, 2018 | Updated 3:33 p.m. ET Dec. 4, 2018

"Sittin' here, restin' my bones/And this loneliness won't leave me alone..''

Time to lace up the high-heeled sneakers, Mobsters. Before we do, a few thoughts in the wake of Mike McCarthy’s firing in Green Bay. . .

SOME FOLKS SEEM TO HAVE A PROBLEM with the way MLewis answered a question Monday re his future. He was asked, given what occurred Sunday in Green Bay (Mike McCarthy, Super Bowl champion, nine-time playoff participant, unceremoniously axed) if he could suffer the same fate.

Lewis laughed a little, which is what he does sometimes when he’s nervous.

“Least of my worries,’’ he said.

I believe him. He has said more than once that he doesn’t fear getting fired. After the 2010 season, he had to be convinced to return.

What’s happening now – what has happened since 2015 – is a stale sameness that suggests change would be best for everyone involved. Are players listening to Lewis anymore? Has the defense been reborn and re-inspired in the past 3 weeks?

Sameness was the reason given for McCarthy’s firing. “I felt that change was needed,” Green Bay president Mark Murphy said. “Mike’s tenure had run its course. I think we needed a new voice. It happens in our league.” 

Sure does. Most places.

Andy Reid was fired in Philadelphia after nine playoff appearances in 11 years gave way to 8-8 and 4-12 seasons. Did that diminish Reid as a coach? I dunno. I ask the fans in Kansas City.

I watched My Redskins (Doc's ... why is he here?..HSH) Who Suck play their tails off Monday night at Philly. They lost 13-28, but their effort was solid. And for more than 3 quarters, they played with 3rd-string QB Mark Sanchez, a guy I thought had been outta the league a few years. Behind an O-line missing 3 starters. Halfway through, they’d even lost a couple back-up linemen. Against the defending Bowl champs, on the road.

Compare that to what the Bengals did at home Sunday v. Denver.

Mike Brown won’t fire Marvin Lewis between now and Pittsburgh on 12/30. That’s not his style. He did fire Dave Shula after five games, but that was a mercy killing.

He and Lewis, per tradition, will meet the day after the season ends. An announcement will come quickly. We’ve learned not to speculate. (See: Last season.) So we won’t. Besides, the more the media and public urge Brown to do something, the less likely he is to do it.

This franchise is in a precarious spot. The long-suggested fan revolution finally has some momentum. Lots of people who said forever that they’d stop going to games, have followed through. Lots of lux boxes are vacant. The team’s ad campaigns haven’t worked. Seize the Dey?

Fans that used to be angry now are indifferent. The resentment is deep, the skepticism deeper. Some of us told Brown after last season that this would occur. He dismissed it. Now, the Family has 3 options: (1) Let Lewis go. (2) Replace him with Hue Jackson. (3) Blow it up.

If anything other than (3) occurs, expect the Factory of Sameness to run at full capacity into the near future. You think it’s bad now?

Anything’s possible, including the patient, loyal BrownTrust ditching its ever-present comfort zone, rolling up its collective sleeves and doing what needs to be done. I haven’t given up on that notion, even after three decades of evidence to the contrary.

What this season has showed, injuries aside, is just how far the Bengals remain from greatness. Their offense looks ancient compared to what KC is doing. Their QB looks average when put in the photo with Mahomes, Goff, Brees etc. Their O-line has not recovered from losing Whitworth and Zeitler.

Their defense has underachieved mightily. The players they paid like stars have been anything but. Their best LB seems to age by the minute. They were 31st in rushing yards allowed last year. This year, they’re 32nd.

Is there one position group you could consider even a little better than average?

Burn the village to save it, yeah?

20 hours ago, T-Dub said:

They could replace the seats with soybean fields and the TV money would keep coming.  I don't think ticket sales are that significant to their budget.

Ah c'mon man, They couldn't literally replace the seats with soybean fields! That would cost far too much money!

then again, they would just get Hamilton County to pay for it anyway

20 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Not advocating status Quo...but "blow it up", and every person bellyaching now, will be doing the same thing a year from today. 

Might as well, I guess--it is expected anyway. 

The only thing that might happen is Marvin moves into management and Hue takes over.   Lazor might get fired but Austin is going nowhere.  The formula for removal is 4 wins or less with this club.   Marvin is safe.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:53 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

The Bengals is the #1 job opportunity because you can suck at it and not get fired. That's what I read from SI. And really, the coach who thinks that's a bonus is who we don't want and who were going to get.

this is exactly what I got out of it too  

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

The only thing that might happen is Marvin moves into management and Hue takes over.   Lazor might get fired but Austin is going nowhere.  The formula for removal is 4 wins or less with this club.   Marvin is safe.

Austin is going nowhere? Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Austin is going nowhere? Am I missing something?

LOL no he is so bad he isn’t going anywhere else. Gonna sit on the sofa and collect his checks.

I ment Marvin, our defensive coordinator.  He may not be the coach but Mike isn’t paying him $5mil next year to redecorate his home in Arizona. 

Besides the injury excuse is too valid to force a $5mil cash burn by the Brown family. 

Archived