Andrew Whitworth reveals Bengals 'unfortunately' lowballed him in contract discussions

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/04/andrew-whitworth-reveals-bengals-lowballed-him-contract-discussions/

Andrew Whitworth reveals Bengals 'unfortunately' lowballed him in contract discussions

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/author/chris-roling/

Whitworth himself said on the Rams Revealed podcast that the Bengals weren’t close to “three or four” other offers:

“For me honestly I had three or four offers that were all really right the same. The only real offer for me, unfortunately, that wasn’t really equivalent to the others was the team I was with, the Cincinnati Bengals, were really the only team that was the outlier in the offers I received. So I knew that that probably meant for me, really the situation I was under, and the excitement to try and go win, really not having much of a commitment from them, felt like I was going to have to go somewhere.”

Edit: Pulled just a partial quote from the story.

He made $7M in his last year with the Bengals.

He's made $12.5 and $11M in his two seasons with the Rams. #15 for the Left Tackle position. (Oogie is #24?!?)

FWIW, we paid Cordy Glenn $11.25M this season to be OK. (#6 highest paid tackle)

As originally reported by ESPN’s Katherine Terrell following Whitworth’s decision, the Bengals offered Whitworth a one-year contract that was worth up to $10 million with incentives.

Well, he had a $1.2M bonus if he made the pro-bowl in 2016, so... Like $8.5M? And IF you make the pro bowl, we'll pay you like an average player! What a deal!

Would YOU take a one year deal for half of the guaranteed $15M the Rams were offering?

Unless someone can point me to this being Marvin's decision... Nothing changes until the GM who made this decision is gone.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

and the excitement to try and go win, really not having much of a commitment from them

In other words low balled and no commitment to win..lol...so typical

I can see where it was difficult for Whit:   Play for Mike Brown and Marvin for X in Cincinnati or play for the Rams in Los Angeles for 2X.     I mean why wouldn't a guy from Monroe Louisiana want to stay in the wonderful climate of Cincinnati Ohio,.. for half pay?

4 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Have only seen one cowboys game this year. 

Is your comment sarcastic or they doing pretty good with Alexander?

Thanks

They were doing horrible with Alexander, he was fired, and now they are doing significantly better. Significantly better with the SAME personnel. 

it was alexander who conceived Mike Brown and lewis to move on from Andrew whitworth

That fact that Mikey did not see PA was useless and these two players in practice and games were useless kind of speaks to his so called 'football mind' 

On another forum someone called what they did a gamble but I said no. A gamble implies you have a chance. What they did with the OL was suicide. 

Archived