The rookie center’s PFF grade was hurt by his poor showing in Week 13 against the Broncos.

By Nick Manchester@NickManchester9  Dec 6, 2018, 10:43am EST

usa_today_11648236.0.jpgDavid Kohl-USA TODAY Sports

In Week 13, the Broncos dominated the line of scrimmage and it wasn’t even close. Every Bengals offensive lineman was called for a penalty at least once and they all gave up consistent pressure that led to four sacks and nine quarterback hits.

Among the offensive lineman languishing was their rookie center, Billy Price. While Price has looked solid for a rookie so far this season, and an upgrade over Russell Bodine, he performed pretty poorly against the Broncos defense.

Pro Football Focus took this game into account when they graded all 32 first round draft picks from 2018. Getting such a low grade from Week 13 did not help raise his stock very much at all.

PICK NO. 21: BILLY PRICE, CINCINNATI BENGALS

2018 SEASON GRADE: 50.9

Price endured his fair share of struggles against a formidable Broncos pass-rush in Week 13 and ended the game with an overall grade of just 51.8, the second-lowest grade of his career. Price allowed a sack and a hurry from his 44 pass-blocking snaps, and he was also called for a penalty.

For reference, Saquon Barkley is at the top of the list with 89.2 Meanwhile, Sam Darnold matched Price’s grade at 50.9, which is towards the bottom of the group.

The sad thing about this analysis is that compared to the rest of the offensive line, giving up one sack, pressure, and penalty sounds like a really productive day. But this was actually one of the worst games of his career, as he had numerous poor reps to go along with those stats.

The one penalty he was called for was a questionable one, though, as Price may have stayed engaged with the defender a little too long for the official’s liking. But the penalty was a drive-killer as it negated a 17-yard run from Giovani Bernard and led to a third-and-39.

This will probably be the most difficult game for Price so far this season. The Broncos not only have the most talent up front of any team he has faced, but their defense also gave him different looks that he is not used to seeing yet. Hopefully this was a good learning experience for him, as the film room sessions on Monday were probably very enlightening.

With only four games left this year, hopefully Price can learn from this week’s catastrophe and gradually raise his grade by the end of the season.

Billy Price Goes Krogering

by Chris Roling and High School Harry 

Cincinnati Bengals first-round rookie Billy Price hasn’t had the smoothest debut.

Price had to battle a lengthy injury right out of the gates and since returning has struggled at times to contain NFL pass rushers.He says he’s heard about it from Bengals fans during a trip to Kroger:

Billy Price: Yeah, I go to Kroger's and people have issues, so it's fun. You laugh but I'm serious.

Price’s expanded comments from a chat with reporters:

“I overset a guy and gave up a sack and everybody wants my head. So I change my technique and we get back with Coach Pollack and make sure hey, let’s focus on this this week and assess the type of rushers those guys are. Those are the things I can control. I don’t control the play calling, I don’t control who’s the coach, I don’t control where the ball goes, I just control what I can do and that’s it.”

While Price has had his issues, that isn’t exactly a strange occurrence among Bengals players this year.

And while we’re on the subject, it’s not ok to approach a player like this in their personal lives outside of a game. Price is being cool about it…but seriously, knock it off.  Let Billy enjoy those cost cutter savings as much as we all do even though their King Hawaiian baked goods are frozen, not fresh and their chocolate cakes taste like chocolate flavored paste.

If I recall correctly, Whitworth wasn’t that great his first year. Billy boy seems to have the right mindset but injuries have taken away a lot of his consistency to learn. Anyways, fuck this season, I work Sundays now, I still love my Bengals but will put my positive energy into my Rams even if I think the Saints are the strongest NFC team. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/08/billy-price-looking-forward-ohio-state-reunion-joey-bosa-chargers/

Cincinnati Bengals center Billy Price, who says Bengals fans are getting after him in grocery stores for his play, has a tough matchup on his hands this weekend against Joey Bosa of the Los Angeles Chargers.

But Price is looking forward to a rematch of sorts against his fellow Ohio State Buckeyes product, as he told reporters:“A freak. I think that’s probably the unanimous term for him. He’s very big, 6-5, 260, 270 whatever he is at this point (listed at 280), he’s rare that he turn from quickness to power very quickly. I think that he can impact the game whenever he wants. If he wants to flip that switch there’s nobody stopping him. It’s a great challenge for us. It’s going to be fun going against him again.”

Bosa has easily been one of the NFL’s best pass rushers since joining the league via the third pick in 2016. Price, the 21st pick this season, saw his debut derailed by injury and he’s had some rough patches, including the botched snap Andy Dalton’s season ended on as the quarterback tried to recover it.

Still, there is a good opportunity for Price here to shut down a familiar opponent and get back on track.

If nothing else, it’s an important matchup for Bengals fans to watch because it might be a sign of how the line plays in the future.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Bozo is number 99 for the Chargers.  Could be interesting to watch and an acid test for Cost Cutter Billy.

21 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/08/billy-price-looking-forward-ohio-state-reunion-joey-bosa-chargers/

Cincinnati Bengals center Billy Price, who says Bengals fans are getting after him in grocery stores for his play, has a tough matchup on his hands this weekend against Joey Bosa of the Los Angeles Chargers.

But Price is looking forward to a rematch of sorts against his fellow Ohio State Buckeyes product, as he told reporters:“A freak. I think that’s probably the unanimous term for him. He’s very big, 6-5, 260, 270 whatever he is at this point (listed at 280), he’s rare that he turn from quickness to power very quickly. I think that he can impact the game whenever he wants. If he wants to flip that switch there’s nobody stopping him. It’s a great challenge for us. It’s going to be fun going against him again.”

Bosa has easily been one of the NFL’s best pass rushers since joining the league via the third pick in 2016. Price, the 21st pick this season, saw his debut derailed by injury and he’s had some rough patches, including the botched snap Andy Dalton’s season ended on as the quarterback tried to recover it.

Still, there is a good opportunity for Price here to shut down a familiar opponent and get back on track.

If nothing else, it’s an important matchup for Bengals fans to watch because it might be a sign of how the line plays in the future.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Bozo is number 99 for the Chargers.  Could be interesting to watch and an acid test for Cost Cutter Billy.

Not sure how a center is supposed to “shut down” a defensive end from getting to the QB. Are they running some type of exotic blocking scheme I am unaware off?

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Not sure how a center is supposed to “shut down” a defensive end from getting to the QB. Are they running some type of exotic blocking scheme I am unaware off?

Its the famous "Center Draw Play" where at the snap the Center drops back into the backfield

to pass protect the quarterback.

Cedric Ogbuhei  uses a similar technique where he drops back into the backfield on passing

plays only not by choice but being pushed there by the opposing defensive end.

But that won't happen to Cost Cutter Billy.

4 hours ago, kriZENry said:

If I recall correctly, Whitworth wasn’t that great his first year. Billy boy seems to have the right mindset but injuries have taken away a lot of his consistency to learn. Anyways, fuck this season, I work Sundays now, I still love my Bengals but will put my positive energy into my Rams even if I think the Saints are the strongest NFC team. 

Whitworth is a giant with the measurable to play any position on the offensive line. His arms are 3 inches longer than Price’s. Price’s weaknesses that everyone already knew about have shown this season week in and week out. He had no business being picked in the 1st round. 

15 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He looks like a guy with dinosaur arms who isn’t athletic enough to play center. 

Either you forgot this :ninja: or I missed the part where we started taking Rick's "short arms" routine seriously.  

Freely admit I'm halfway checked out over here.

3 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Whitworth is a giant with the measurable to play any position on the offensive line. His arms are 3 inches longer than Price’s. Price’s weaknesses that everyone already knew about have shown this season week in and week out. He had no business being picked in the 1st round. 

Never thought he was a smart 1st rd pick as usual, or drafting has been horrible in the 1st rd lately. 

11 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I like watching these other teams. It makes me realize how much the Bengals need a coach AND a QB. Dalton can’t make the plays these other QBs make. 

They had a brief window of success together in Dalton's first few years. 3 years ago we were rolling with Dalton in an mvp year till he broke his foot.

I wonder how healthy he truly is. I know, at the beginning of the year when we were actually looking like a really good team, everything was going great until he got hurt before halftime. They came back out after halftime and haven't been the same since. I can't remember what game it was, but in my mind the second half of that game sent us into a tail spin that never stopped.

56 minutes ago, BengalsOwn said:

Duke Tobin doesn't exist, remember? The Brown family makes all personnel decisions according to many on here!

Tobin has been here for 20 years.  If he is making the personnel decisions then he needs to go along with Marvin unless this has all been by design. 

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Wonder if Tobin is being overridden by MikeandKatie and/or The Marvelous One?

I assume Ol' Musty is meddling with things constantly.  The only public admission of this I'm aware of was bringing back Slim against Marvin's wishes, but safe to say that wasn't unique.  Even if it was, it was enough to show the roster that as long as they were on MB's good side they could tune Marvin out.  It's why Pacman was always sucking up to the old guy.  

There's also the scene from Hard Knocks where he makes some kind of asinine suggestion and all the coaches in the room try not to cringe on camera.  

Anyway I don't think he & Marvin are meeting daily to bullshit about the weather.

Archived