16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I assume Ol' Musty is meddling with things constantly.  The only public admission of this I'm aware of was bringing back Slim against Marvin's wishes, but safe to say that wasn't unique.  Even if it was, it was enough to show the roster that as long as they were on MB's good side they could tune Marvin out.  It's why Pacman was always sucking up to the old guy.  

There's also the scene from Hard Knocks where he makes some kind of asinine suggestion and all the coaches in the room try not to cringe on camera.  

Anyway I don't think he & Marvin are meeting daily to bullshit about the weather.

Who made the decision to draft John Ross?

8 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Who made the decision to draft John Ross?

Drafting a 40 time seems like the kind of move you'd expect from a guy who thinks football acumen is hereditary.  It would also make sense for the coaches to leave him on the bench most of the time if they didn't make that pick.  Have to assume they'd have more of a role for him otherwise.

In the end who knows?  Shitcan the whole draft room AFAIC.  Redeemer is the only one that can't be fired. and that's the root of the problem.

I didn't love the Billy Price pick but, I have to give the guy a break. He's a rookie on an offensive line that is dog shit. Bobby Hart and Alex Redmond shouldn't even be in the NFL. Cordy Glenn has been far below expectations (and hurt) and Clint Boling is lucky if he's slightly above average. To no one's surprise, the two biggest areas of concern going into 2019 are Offensive Line and Linebacker. There is so much help needed in these two areas, the only way true improvement can be found is a combination of the draft and an aggressive free agent campaign.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Drafting a 40 time seems like the kind of move you'd expect from a guy who thinks football acumen is hereditary.  It would also make sense for the coaches to leave him on the bench most of the time if they didn't make that pick.  Have to assume they'd have more of a role for him otherwise.

In the end who knows?  Shitcan the whole draft room AFAIC.  Redeemer is the only one that can't be fired. and that's the root of the problem.

The Bengals place a lot of value on college awards, records, and measured times, etc.  Of course, every team does to some extent, but not as much as the Bengals.

Examples off the top of my head:  WR Bennie Brazelle (sp?) - pure speed; the tight end that had the most bench press reps, but hands of stone (can't recall name); the offensive lineman with a 30-some inch vertical (Reif ? - tore ACL in training camp); DL Jason(?) Shirley with a 3-cone time equal to Steeler RB Rashard Mendenhall; Chris Perry, Doak Walker Award winner; Ross; etc., etc., etc.

[How do you feel about Kyler Murray in round 1 in 2019 draft?]

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

The Bengals place a lot of value on college awards, records, and measured times, etc.  Of course, every team does to some extent, but not as much as the Bengals.

Examples off the top of my head:  WR Bennie Brazelle (sp?) - pure speed; the tight end that had the most bench press reps, but hands of stone (can't recall name); the offensive lineman with a 30-some inch vertical (Reif ? - tore ACL in training camp); DL Jason(?) Shirley with a 3-cone time equal to Steeler RB Rashard Mendenhall; Chris Perry, Doak Walker Award winner; Ross; etc., etc., etc.

Kylar Murray?  No.  Guy already received a $4.66 mil signing bonus to play baseball for the Oakland As.  Why waste a first round draft pick on a guy who isn't playing pro football anytime soon?

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

plus he is like 5'8"

And only an idiot would choose football over baseball if they were of equal talent.  More money way less pain.  An I_C_Dead is 100% spot on.  If we picked him he would pull a John Elway and show up at A's training camp.

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

The Bengals have been enamored of speed since Paul Brown drafted Issac Curtis.  Curtis was a track star and only played one year of WR in college.  Mikey Boy has been trying to renew that formula for years with players like David Verser, John Ross and the like.

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

A little bit sick?

He doesn't play OL. Honestly my give-a-damn is near zero. The talent we already have is being squandered & they've done a terrible job trying to fill the holes.

Draft picks aren't going to fix this franchise. Their entire way of doing business needs to change dramatically, otherwise they may as well piss up a rope.

38 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

A little bit sick?

He doesn't play OL. Honestly my give-a-damn is near zero. The talent we already have is being squandered & they've done a terrible job trying to fill the holes.

Draft picks aren't going to fix this franchise. Their entire way of doing business needs to change dramatically, otherwise they may as well piss up a rope.

I think this ship sailed in 2015. It is all starting to feel like 1992.  Team no longer has enough good healthy parts to do any real damage. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I think this ship sailed in 2015. It is all starting to feel like 1992.  Team no longer has enough good healthy parts to do any real damage.

Mostly the stubborn refusal to give up on Ced/Fisher & then the half-assed bargain bin replacements in Hart & Glenn. No doubt there were (& are) plenty of other issues but their handling of the OT situation was the equivalent of tossing a drowning man an anvil.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Mostly the stubborn refusal to give up on Ced/Fisher & then the half-assed bargain bin replacements in Hart & Glenn. No doubt there were (& are) plenty of other issues but their handling of the OT situation was the equivalent of tossing a drowning man an anvil.

All true.  The needs at OL, LB are staggering.  The CBs and WRs are getting thin too.  Signing nothing but losers on their last contract isn't going to make it better.  To be somewhat fair to Mike Brown, what FA would want to come to the Bengals unless they were paid a premium?  The few the Brown has courted aggressively have just used the Bengals as negotiating leverage.  I can't blame them.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

100% agree.  It has set our offense back 3 years. 

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

There's also the scene from Hard Knocks where he makes some kind of asinine suggestion and all the coaches in the room try not to cringe on camera.  

I know what you're talking about but can't remember the exact scenario - want to say it was something like moving an OL to TE?

16 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The Bengals have been enamored of speed since Paul Brown drafted Issac Curtis.  Curtis was a track star and only played one year of WR in college.  Mikey Boy has been trying to renew that formula for years with players like David Verser, John Ross and the like.

Like Fast Eddie Brown ... run real fast and drop the ball

and Tim McGee.

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I feel like I would not be surprised to see the Bengals (or someone) use a late round pick on him and wait for him to wash out of baseball.

What's a rookie MLB contract worth? Competitive with a first round NFL pick?

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What's a rookie MLB contract worth? Competitive with a first round NFL pick?

25th pick in last years draft got $8.57 GTD,  4yrs 11 mil.

He got a $4.66mil signing bonus to play baseball.  

Do we think he is a legitimate QB at 5'10"??  Was the 9th overall baseball pick.

41 minutes ago, SF2 said:

25th pick in last years draft got $8.57 GTD,  4yrs 11 mil.

He got a $4.66mil signing bonus to play baseball.  

Do we think he is a legitimate QB at 5'10"??  Was the 9th overall baseball pick.

Risky.  Maybe if the Giants drafted him it would make him think, but the Bengals?  Almost like guaranteeing he plays baseball.  Baseball would be the smart move.  Even if he does wash out football will still give him a look.  Not sure it would work the other way around.

Archived