Hey, Drama Queens.

56 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If the Bengals hire Hue Jackson to take over the club I am heading for the door. That would be the biggest "Fuck You" committed by an owner since Sam Wyche was replaced by the worst OC in the NFL, David Shula.  I would rather they hire Rich Kotite, Greg Schiano or Art Shell.  Seriously, if this happens then that tells me the Brown family doesn't give a shit about the fans or winning.   I don't give a shit if they are comfortable with Hue.  He SUCKS as a head coach.

Shit just hire Bobby Petrino then, he is available. Zimmer loves the guy.

I can't see that happening. The ownership is not going to change and I think we need to stop beating that dead horse. That said, surely they realize it's time to start planning the reboot. If they have no intention of extending Andy, they need to draft his replacement. If they don't extend AJ, they need to draft, or find, his replacement. I hope they are able to extend Boyd, but something tells me he will want to go where he can be a #1.  The next couple of seasons could be rough.

28 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I was actually there in the '90's...every home game live and in person. No, it is not the '90's again. But then again, some folks have never left it, so the bellyaching over the years has a familiar ring to it now. 

I was at plenty of games.  There was hope that things were turning around in the MID 90s with Blake and company.  It wasn't until 98 that the club went totally south and would remain there for 5 years.  The club only won 12 total games in 2000, 2001 and 2002.   It is a myth that the team was total shit during the 90s.  Kicked the shit out of the Oilers in a 1990 playoff game.  (Jan 91).  Shake and Blake were fun teams with crap defenses.  It was that 5 year stretch between 1998 and 2002 that put the stamp on the Decade of Despair.

The best was opening up that shiny new stadium in 2000 with Akille Smith as our starter.  It is truly difficult to describe how fucking terrible he was. 

AND NO, I was kidding about Bobby Petrino. 

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I was at plenty of games.  There was hope that things were turning around in the MID 90s with Blake and company.  It wasn't until 98 that the club went totally south and would remain there for 5 years.  The club only won 12 total games in 2000, 2001 and 2002.   It is a myth that the team was total shit during the 90s.  Kicked the shit out of the Oilers in a 1990 playoff game.  (Jan 91).  Shake and Blake were fun teams with crap defenses.  It was that stretch between 1998 and 2002 that put the stamp on the Decade of Despair.

The best was opening up that shiny new stadium in 2000 with Akille Smith as our starter.  It is truly difficult to describe how fucking terrible he was

Our scouting was even worse then as it is now. Akili was a highly ranked prospect by all the nfl draft naysayers at the time. Mike fell for it hook line and stinker.

9 hours ago, fluhartz said:

lol

it's not like the 90's but it still sucks.

Whats the difference between 2-14 and 8-8 and not it the playoffs?

a worse draft pick is the only thing

ole marv needs to go... but who gives a fuck, nothing will ever change until MFB is gone or sells the cash cow...

Depends on who is making the pick.

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

Our scouting was even worse then as it is now. Akili was a highly ranked prospect by all the nfl draft naysayers at the time. Mike fell for it hook line and stinker.

Smith's main critique was that he had only one season at Oregon to judge him by. Most of the stuff I saw about him was an incredible combo of size, athleticism, arm strength..all the good stuff. And that one year, he was very successful. He was going to go Top 10, never a doubt. At the time, I really believed they would go for Donovan McNabb, but they never got the chance. 

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Smith's main critique was that he had only one season at Oregon to judge him by. Most of the stuff I saw about him was an incredible combo of size, athleticism, arm strength..all the good stuff. And that one year, he was very successful. He was going to go Top 10, never a doubt. At the time, I really believed they would go for Donovan McNabb, but they never got the chance. 

How bad was Akili?  Ryan Leaf started 1 less game in his career (21 v 22) yet has 1454 more yards passing and 9 more TDs.  Smith averaged 100 yards per game passing with a 46.6% completion percentage. Add in his 16.9 yards rushing per game and you still have garbage. 

24 minutes ago, SF2 said:

How bad was Akili?  Ryan Leaf started 1 less game in his career (21 v 22) yet has 1454 more yards passing and 9 more TDs.  Smith averaged 100 yards per game passing with a 46.6% completion percentage. Add in his 16.9 yards rushing per game and you still have garbage. 

yeah.. it was really bad.

I don't know if he could have even been ok anywhere else... but he had no chance here

the team was utter garbage and he got beat to a pulp..

I just looked..and in 22 games he had 13 picks and 13 fumbles... that's amazing.. he probably got sacked about 100 times in those games too...lol

in just 2000 (12 games).... 3 td's, 6 int's and 10 fumbles.. wow

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

There have been a lot of colossal busts at QB. I think that the reason that Leaf will go down in infamy as the Webster's definition is that he was such a dick hole.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Part of the problem with Akili was that he was a "running" QB.  Supposed to be the wave of the future.  Well, we all know now that running quarterbacks suck.  Now, quarterbacks that can run are a different story.

18 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

OK, you are right.  Happy now?  You were there in the 90s, huh?  No injuries?  Ki-Jana Carter ring a bell?

The Bengals still suck balls and have little to no hope of being much better any time soon.  The injured players coming back are mostly on the downside of their careers.  At best, they aren't getting better.  There are only a few young players I expect to improve to the point of being difference makers.  There are big holes to fill and not enough draft picks to do it.  It's not looking good.  If the Bengals do hire Hue Jackson as their head coach they may be heading back in that direction.

I didn't say there were no injuries in the 90s, reading curve. But, congratulations for coming up with one.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

I didn't say there were no injuries in the 90s, reading curve. But, congratulations for coming up with one.

Gee, " The 90s teams never had injury problems. " suggests otherwise.  I think losing the #1 pick in the draft to an injury to which he never recovered as a pretty big problem.   The '96 and '97 Bengals led by Blake/Coslet really weren't that bad.  8-8 and 7-9 respectively.  Imagine if they had a healthy Ki-Jana Carter to add to the mix?  I guess that doesn't jive with your "there was no chance of being competitive with the healthy team." comment.

It's fun and cathartic to discuss all the issues this f'n franchise brings upon itself, but this entire thread is a testament to your ego.  Congratulations, indeed.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Part of the problem with Akili was that he was a "running" QB.  Supposed to be the wave of the future.  Well, we all know now that running quarterbacks suck.  Now, quarterbacks that can run are a different story.

I kind of wonder if that's still true with all the QB protection rules.  If they were actually enforced for every QB and not just the stars it would make sense to line up RB's at QB.  15 yards if you hit their legs, 15 yards if you land on them..  Good luck!

On 12/10/2018 at 9:27 AM, Hooky said:

I'm not saying this team doesn't suck, but saying we are back to the 90s era is silly. And the difference is that there is hope every season. There was absolute zero in the 90s. But maybe having hope is worse since it's routinely crushed.

So to clarify, I am not saying that everything is awesome, which should be obvious. I'm saying that comparing this team to the 90s is just plain stupid. If you think that, you weren't there.

I can’t believe you have hope in this team. 

48 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I can’t believe you have hope in this team. 

That's all we have as fans. We have no input. We can have hope or we can eeyore over the future. I have some dire predictions, but hope things will change. If there's no hope, why bother? 

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I figure Redeemer will step down for whatever reason before long, or the rest of the NFL will get tired of subsidizing him. 

I don't think they care.  Worst case for Cincy fans is move to London or St Louis.  League needs teams like Detroit and Cincy to round out schedules. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don't think they care.  Worst case for Cincy fans is move to London or St Louis.  League needs teams like Detroit and Cincy to round out schedules. 

I see it as harmful to the NFL brand.  Like I'm sure McDonald's doesn't expect their franchise in BFE Nowhere to compete with one in downtown Omaha but if they start serving up fried rats it makes the entire company look bad.  The Bengals are once again reaching that level of suck.

I also think the Brown Family want the team at least halfway respectable so there's not a total fan exodus.  From an accounting POV I don't think it costs that much more to keep things around the 8-8 mark.  It's getting past that where the returns become more questionable.  Spending up to the cap trying to bring in that last 10-20k fans on game day might not be worth it, but they don't want an empty stadium either.  This is the lowest I've seen fan support since Carson forced his way out.

If they don't make at least some token concessions before next season they are definitely going to lose money.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I'm sure the owners are annoyed with Brown, but every league needs shitty teams.  You think the Rooney's want a capable ownership group in Cincinnati?  Only way the Bengals are moving is if the NFL identifies a city where they feel they can make a lot more money.

Archived