Hey, Drama Queens.

39 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm sure the owners are annoyed with Brown, but every league needs shitty teams.  You think the Rooney's want a capable ownership group in Cincinnati?  Only way the Bengals are moving is if the NFL identifies a city where they feel they can make a lot more money.

How does every league need shitty teams? How does that help the league?

If Mike Brown was looking for a place to make more money, he would've left years ago.  Cincinnati is a small market. If it's all about money, why would he stay here? 

28 minutes ago, Hooky said:

If Mike Brown was looking for a place to make more money, he would've left years ago.  Cincinnati is a small market. If it's all about money, why would he stay here? 

Yeah, it's all about Daddy's legacy and lil' Mikey Boy proving to his Dad that he's not a shit-for-brains moron. That's also why he can't hand over the reigns to someone who isn't a shit-for-brains moron.

31 minutes ago, Hooky said:

How does every league need shitty teams? How does that help the league?

Why do leagues need shitty teams?  Most owners like to win.  Many make the big $$ somewhere else.  Ego.  Nothing like a doormat or two in your division.

Moving takes effort.  Moving also costs money.  It will be difficult to get the kind of sweetheart stadium deal Brown has in Cincinnati.  Also, no way the NFL lets Brown control a franchise in a larger market where he could screw it up.  Now when Brown is dead, that may change. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Why do leagues need shitty teams?  Most owners like to win.  Many make the big $$ somewhere else.  Ego.  Nothing like a doormat or two in your division.

Moving takes effort.  Moving also costs money.  It will be difficult to get the kind of sweetheart stadium deal Brown has in Cincinnati.  Also, no way the NFL lets Brown control a franchise in a larger market where he could screw it up.  Now when Brown is dead, that may change. 

Ask Major League Baseball.  They don’t even pretend about the haves a have nots. Football has their legacy organizations in huge markets and Green Bay.  Detroit was part or this club until the city went to shit. Teams like Cincy, New Orleans, Tenn, Carolina, Jacksonville, Houston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Indy, Miami, and Vikings are schedule fillers. Even teams like Rams and Chargers don’t move the needle. 

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I see it as harmful to the NFL brand.  Like I'm sure McDonald's doesn't expect their franchise in BFE Nowhere to compete with one in downtown Omaha but if they start serving up fried rats it makes the entire company look bad.  The Bengals are once again reaching that level of suck.

I also think the Brown Family want the team at least halfway respectable so there's not a total fan exodus.  From an accounting POV I don't think it costs that much more to keep things around the 8-8 mark.  It's getting past that where the returns become more questionable.  Spending up to the cap trying to bring in that last 10-20k fans on game day might not be worth it, but they don't want an empty stadium either.  This is the lowest I've seen fan support since Carson forced his way out.

If they don't make at least some token concessions before next season they are definitely going to lose money.  

There are a few people like you here, who actually see the present condition of this league. The product itself is deteriorating, and the effects are showing visually in attendance. I have been reading an ongoing article that has been following attendance at varying cities over the course of the season. They take in "bad" teams, "winning" teams, and "marquee" games. Photos chronicle these stops, and they are taken at points in a game when the most people would be in their seats. The photos are captioned with the announced attendance--and the difference between those numbers and the visuals in the stands, are quite remarkably different. 

It's easy to think that disinterest in game attendance comes from simply wins and losses, but it goes far deeper than that. 

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

There are a few people like you here, who actually see the present condition of this league. The product itself is deteriorating, and the effects are showing visually in attendance. I have been reading an ongoing article that has been following attendance at varying cities over the course of the season. They take in "bad" teams, "winning" teams, and "marquee" games. Photos chronicle these stops, and they are taken at points in a game when the most people would be in their seats. The photos are captioned with the announced attendance--and the difference between those numbers and the visuals in the stands, are quite remarkably different. 

It's easy to think that disinterest in game attendance comes from simply wins and losses, but it goes far deeper than that. 

Used to be with the blackouts the advertisers would buy the unsold tickets, much easier to simply make up a number now.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Ask Major League Baseball.  They don’t even pretend about the haves a have nots. Football has their legacy organizations in huge markets and Green Bay.  Detroit was part or this club until the city went to shit. Teams like Cincy, New Orleans, Tenn, Carolina, Jacksonville, Houston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Indy, Miami, and Vikings are schedule fillers. Even teams like Rams and Chargers don’t move the needle. 

Houston is the quietest 9-4 you've ever seen..  unless you're a Bengals fan.  That's the 4th or 5th largest city in the US, too.   That's a lot of potential fans to ignore.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Houston is the quietest 9-4 you've ever seen..  unless you're a Bengals fan.  That's the 4th or 5th largest city in the US, too.   That's a lot of potential fans to ignore.

I agree. Houston has always been an ignored. The Texans have only been around since 2002. The East Coast media drives almost everything. Cali media has some influence as well. Midwest is powerless. 

Archived