Westerman Top Player of Week 14

Who would have ever seen this coming?

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  Dec 11, 2018, 7:00am EST

900566624.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Rob Carr/Getty Images

Far too often under Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have had quality players right under their nose that were underutilized before they found greener pastures elsewhere.

The latest example could be Christian Westerman, who was one of Cincinnati’s best offensive linemen in the preseason, yet has rarely seen the field in 2018. This, despite all of Cincinnati’s top linemen having PFF grades lower than 64 (the highest is Clint Boling at 63.8). 

In fact, Bengals guards Aled Redmond (59.5) and Trey Hopkins (59.3) haven’t even gotten out of the 50s, yet have still played extensively throughout the season, as Westerman has sat idly on the bench. 

That changed on Sunday, as Westerman replaced Hopkins at left guard with Boling now playing left tackle. You’ll be shocked to hear Westerman actually did really well. 

It really feels like Westerman is going to end up being the second coming of Evan Mathis, another good offensive guard who was actually kept on the bench in favor of guys like Nate Livings before going on to become an All-Pro with the Eagles in 2011. 

Sure, Westerman may not be an All-Pro, but just being ‘good’ would be a big upgrade over what the Bengals have had from the majority of their offensive line this season. 

For whatever reason, this coaching staff is completely against Westerman playing right guard, which puts him in a quandary since Boling is a good left guard, though injuries have forced him to play left tackle. 

Once Cordy Glenn is healthy next season, Boling will go right back to starting at left guard, and Westerman will go right back to the bench in what is the final year of his rookie deal in 2019.

That is, unless a new staff comes in and actually figures out how to use Westerman, something that just seems far too challenging for the current staff to accomplish. 

I think what you fail to realize is that Marvin Lewis is smarter than you. He's smarter than everyone. He sees that Bobby Hart and Alex Redmond have the right side locked up. Their 19 combined penalties are a result of NFL referees trying to hinder players that are simply too good. His plan is coming together. Stop looking for answers where there aren't even questions. Marvin and I giggle and clap at you in sympathetic derision. 

38 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I think what you fail to realize is that Marvin Lewis is smarter than you. He's smarter than everyone. He sees that Bobby Hart and Alex Redmond have the right side locked up. Their 19 combined penalties are a result of NFL referees trying to hinder players that are simply too good. His plan is coming together. Stop looking for answers where there aren't even questions. Marvin and I giggle and clap at you in sympathetic derision. 

🙂

59 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

ha ha ha...:sad:

Merv is a joke. And if Pollack had anything to do with Westerman staying on the bench then he is a joke as well. It is embarrassing when fans can clearly see that a better player is on the bench. Westerman was , for some reason, in the Merv dog house and he being the stubborn arrogant prick that he is would rather a guy sit down then make the team better. Complete idiot. 

22 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Point is, he is better than Redmond - that has been clear since training camp. It not about calling him an All-Pro, it is simply stating he is a better option than the guy who is on the field. 

I honestly didn't notice much difference but it's not like I was focusing on RG..  or the game in general for that matter. 

The OL is just bad.  So one guy looked marginally better than another in one game, in a rotation, according to the super-secret PFF grading system.

Who cares?

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I honestly didn't notice much difference but it's not like I was focusing on RG..  or the game in general for that matter. 

The OL is just bad.  So one guy looked marginally better than another in one game, in a rotation, according to the super-secret PFF grading system.

Who cares?

Its like debating if Kevin Love or Jordan Clarkson is the best player on the Cavs.

• Christian Westerman (42 snaps) finally got an extended look on the field. You could notice at times he did a great job of finishing off blocks, but the best part was he didn’t really catch the attention of the refs, which has become a problem with a lot of the offensive line. Hopefully we see the team start experimenting with who is playing at right guard next week.

Archived