Boyd Could Miss Final Two Games

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Wasn't he out with another concussion?  Hate to say it but I think he may be finished.  That hit wasn't even anything extraordinary (even though it was fined because of course it was.)  And of course we will extend his contract at least 2-3 more times while he struggles to stay on the field.

If you look at the hit again it was Shazier like.  Nothing new from Burfict, he just can't tackle without lowering his helmet.  How many times has he knocked himself out of a game doing that?  5 years ago he would have been fined almost every time he tackled someone.   

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If you look at the hit again it was Shazier like.  Nothing new from Burfict, he just can't tackle without lowering his helmet.  How many times has he knocked himself out of a game doing that?  5 years ago he would have been fined almost every time he tackled someone.   

Shazier-like, other than the fine.  I believe Shazier was fined only once in his entire career of goon shit?

On 12/18/2018 at 10:00 AM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Two things with Jefferson - either he is dumb and the team failed to note this during the draft process or Merv is holding him back like the idiot he is. 

The LB's this team has drafted sine the Merv era - what a pathetic list.

If he's dumb, fine. As a coach give him 3 plays that he can execute and put him in there for that. Find a way to use him. Nickerson is not the answer. 

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Don't see why the didn't do a mercy IRing for Burfict to get him in some sort of shape for next year.

Maybe they have decided to move on from him and are just hanging on to him for week 17...so he can go full Chrysler New Yorker on the rapist.

no :ninja:     :shrug:

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Shazier-like, other than the fine.  I believe Shazier was fined only once in his entire career of goon shit?

It was the Shavier hit that began the rule changes. Before that it had be against a defenseless receiver. Now any tackle where the defender leads with the helmet can get called.  Burfict only had 1 spearing fine before 2018.  The others were against defenseless receivers and other things. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

It was the Shavier hit that began the rule changes. Before that it had be against a defenseless receiver. Now any tackle where the defender leads with the helmet can get called.  Burfict only had 1 spearing fine before 2018.  The others were against defenseless receivers and other things. 

Meh.. Just making it more vague so they can ignore it or not as it suits them.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Correct.  Trying to determine incidental contact vs targeting, what constitutes a "football move", and so on...

Do you think they ignore such behavior by certain teams on purpose “as it suits them”? Suits them for what purpose?

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Do you think they ignore such behavior by certain teams on purpose “as it suits them”? Suits them for what purpose?

I see a lot of uncalled penalties every game I tune into, with the refs standing right there watching it happen.  I also see calls where the replay shows nothing happened at all.  I hope that shit is on purpose because I'd hate to think the NFL only hires guys that are legally blind.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

I see a lot of uncalled penalties every game I tune into, with the refs standing right there watching it happen.  I also see calls where the replay shows nothing happened at all.  I hope that shit is on purpose because I'd hate to think the NFL only hires guys that are legally blind.

So you think there is a coordinated effort by a large group of people to intentionally change the outcome of games based on the participants?  Is it organized crime or the league itself? 

40 minutes ago, SF2 said:

So you think there is a coordinated effort by a large group of people to intentionally change the outcome of games based on the participants?  Is it organized crime or the league itself? 

I don't know if they're trying to change the outcomes, maybe the idea is to slow the games down or speed them up depending on the circumstances.  Maybe the refs are like the fans with the "well they cheated or did x/y/z but they would've won anyway" stuff.  And yeah, individuals probably get bought from time to time.  It would be pretty fucking miraculous if no NFL official ever was paid off to shave some points here or there, don't you think? NBA, MLB, FIFA... but not the NFL, never them. C'mon now.

Whatever the reason, rules get ignored & penalties get called on nothing then are let stand even when the replays show it was a bad call. If you've got a better explanation I'd love to hear it but I'm not imagining that this stuff happens.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Correct.  Trying to determine incidental contact vs targeting, what constitutes a "football move", and so on...

One thing I have noticed that the plays are not flagged on the field but the player is fined later after

The Powers That Be in the NFL Ministry of Truth have revised them.

Wonder if that is a part of the plan?  Don't disrupt the game and punish their pocket book later?

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't know if they're trying to change the outcomes, maybe the idea is to slow the games down or speed them up depending on the circumstances.  Maybe the refs are like the fans with the "well they cheated or did x/y/z but they would've won anyway" stuff.  And yeah, individuals probably get bought from time to time.  It would be pretty fucking miraculous if no NFL official ever was paid off to shave some points here or there, don't you think? NBA, MLB, FIFA... but not the NFL, never them. C'mon now.

Whatever the reason, rules get ignored & penalties get called on nothing then are let stand even when the replays show it was a bad call. If you've got a better explanation I'd love to hear it but I'm not imagining that this stuff happens.

There have been several NBA referees who have been disciplined/fired/prosecuted.

But anyhow, selective officiating is but one component in the overall progressing NFL product deterioration...albeit a sizeable one. Years of adding/altering rule after rule, has made it impossible to adequately officiate consistently. There truly could be a penalty of some sort on every play run, every time. 

Holding has always been my favorite selective call. Rules-and adjustments to rules--allowing extended arms and grabbing--just add to the consistency malaise. Grab a pass rushing lineman around the neck...OK, but not always. Grab/lean on run plays...well that depends. Would be better to simply not have the rule at all, or go back to the way it used to be called many years ago--but that would interfere with the pinball score-a-thons the NFL wants. 

No real answers, other than to let nature run its course. The league will rule itself out of existence. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

There have been several NBA referees who have been disciplined/fired/prosecuted.

Right, that was my point.  Every other major sports league has dealt with gambling scandals from time to time.  The NFL, miraculously, has not.  This in a league where many of the founders & owners were or are connected to gambling.

Archived