How do you fix this team?

Marvin and most of his staff are gone.  I'd try to keep Pollack, Van Pelt, Simmons and maybe Hue as a position coach or OC.  He would not be a HC candidate.

Attempt to re-sign DQ, and extend WJ3 as soon as they are allowed.

Move Burfict to MLB and tell him to lose 20 pounds.

Pursue RG in free agency.  Good tackles rarely go to free agency and those that do are usually old, so OT is a draft priority.

Top 2 priorities in the draft are OT, and LB. If we are unable to re-sign DQ, CB becomes an option as well. That said if a great QB is on the board and we have a new head coach with an offense/QB guru background I'd seriously consider it.  If OT in 1, he needs to be LT caliber and move Cordy to RT.  If White or QB in 1, hope for a good RT in 2 or 3.

Let Eifert walk, extend Kroft and Uzoma.  Several of the TEs we brought in showed some promise.

I'd bring in a kicker for serious competition.  Someone I would not be afraid to allow to attempt a 52 yard FG.

Given a good coaching staff, the personnel on this team are not far away.  We were 4-1 and should have beaten Pitt.

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The best way to lose an argument is to overstate it.

Is he better than Coslet? LeBeau?

He has his flaws, but I also don't think that many people could have walked in here in 2003 and been successful. He has also changed the way the club is run. Yes, he leaves much to be desired on game day, but that's ~15% of his job. I get that we're all at Costco right now getting our panties in a bunch, but he's done a lot on the admin side, and has been the only person who has been able to get Mikey boy to modernize his club to the late 80's. The other 85% of his job.

On another Bengals forum, a poster just went through each year ML was the HC and his regular season record againts teams that went on to make the playoffs is :

Marvin Lewis overall record against playoff bound teams:

27 Wins
70 Loses
2 ties

Sorry, that is NOT a good coach. It is meh at best. He is ridden the coattails of the Mikey excuse for far too long.

8 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Sorry, that is NOT a good coach. It is meh at best. He is ridden the coattails of the Mikey excuse for far too long.

If Mikey really was setting the gameday rosters for most of that time it's a pretty legit excuse.   I agree that Clappy needs to go but maybe the team wouldn't have tuned him out if a meddlesome & clueless owner wasn't constantly undermining his authority.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If Mikey really was setting the gameday rosters for most of that time it's a pretty legit excuse.   I agree that Clappy needs to go but maybe the team wouldn't have tuned him out if a meddlesome & clueless owner wasn't constantly undermining his authority.  

Do you think that is true?  I have always wondered if it was something like that...maybe not a complete roster but at least certain players.  But then I start thinking if it is true then I like Marvin even less for not having the balls to stand up and say fuck you Mikey.  How many coaches in the NFL not named Marvin or Jason would actually put up with something like that? 

41 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Do you think that is true?  I have always wondered if it was something like that...maybe not a complete roster but at least certain players.  But then I start thinking if it is true then I like Marvin even less for not having the balls to stand up and say fuck you Mikey.  How many coaches in the NFL not named Marvin or Jason would actually put up with something like that? 

Came from that 2011 press conference

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/1/5/1916318/mike-brown-press-conference-with-marvin-lewis-didnt-win-any-fans

56 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Whatever man. Enjoy Hue Jackson.

I will take my chances with Hue.   Marvin had 16 years to accomplish something.  He failed.  He reminds me of the 16 years of service E-6 s walking around the motor pool when I was in the Army.  Fat, lazy, no motivation other than to hang on for 4 more years and retire an E-7 if they were lucky.   Fuck that. 

Hue will probably be no better but fuck Marvin and his 0-7 playoff record. 

9 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I will take my chances with Hue.   Marvin had 16 years to accomplish something.  He failed.  He reminds me of the 16 years of service E-6 s walking around the motor pool when I was in the Army.  Fat, lazy, no motivation other than to hang on for 4 more years and retire an E-7 if they were lucky.   Fuck that. 

Hue will probably be no better but fuck Marvin and his 0-7 playoff record. 

I'm with you on that... At this point I just want the scenery to change.

But if you think Marvin is not "good", just wait until you get some Hue in you.

20 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I doubt anyone other than Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick would be up to your standards.

No, standards are not that high. What I want to see is a change in how the whole organization is run. A commitment to winning top down whereby the team could also make more money for itself and increase the long term value of the franchise. That is a standard every fan should want. Until that change, anything else is just lipstick on a pig. Every player and coach regardless how good they are just eventually become Bungalized. Change cannot occur bottom up, just ask Carson Palmer. This whole organization is lethargic and in need of significant change. 

I brought this up in another thread and got ripped for it.

I like it, in a way.  If it was between Hue and Vance, I would certainly go with Vance

Pauly DC may be on the way out.

The article suggests Joseph HC, Hue OC and Paulie DC.

Or Jack Del Rio DC rather than Paulie.

Not going to happen but Marv and Hue are neither one the answer.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/21/vance-joseph-hot-seat-broncos-next-bengals-head-coach/

Remember Vance Joseph?

The current Denver Broncos head coach is reportedly on the hot seatand could lose his job this offseason — though he doesn’t sound too worried about it.

As always, this opens up an interesting angle for the Cincinnati Bengals.

After all, the Bengals could make a change of their own this offseason after another middling season under Marvin Lewis, who has one year left on his deal, which is reportedly a team option.

If the Bengals don’t want to take the PR hit of sliding Hue Jackson into the head-coaching role, bringing back Joseph if he’s fired in Denver is a viable option for a team that does business like Cincinnati does.

Business, meaning the business of trust. The Bengals and owner Mike Brown want to win right now and value trust over most anything else, hence Lewis being the longest-tenured head coach not named Bill Belichick. The working relationship between Lewis and Brown is built on trust, hence it continuing regardless of results.

Joseph spent a few years with the Bengals as defensive backs coach before going to Miami as a coordinator for one year before the Denver gig, where he has posted an 11-19 record. It doesn’t matter how Joseph’s time in Cincinnati ended — the Bengals are still one of just 32 head-coaching gigs.

Of course, Joseph’s candidacy in the trust department means other former Lewis understudies such as Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer could be candidates if they lose jobs. Ditto for coordinators like Paul Guenther.

At the least, this angle is something to keep in mind as coaches around the league find seats getting warm. A change in Cincinnati might happen, but the actual degree of change might not be what fans expect given the extent of Lewis’ coaching tree having problems with job security right now.

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No, standards are not that high. What I want to see is a change in how the whole organization is run. A commitment to winning top down whereby the team could also make more money for itself and increase the long term value of the franchise. That is a standard every fan should want. Until that change, anything else is just lipstick on a pig. Every player and coach regardless how good they are just eventually become Bungalized. Change cannot occur bottom up, just ask Carson Palmer. This whole organization is lethargic and in need of significant change. 

So, you think Marvin Lewis is the top of the org chart?

On one hand you dismiss any criticisms of the front office, and then in the other you say that change can't come from the bottom up. "A commitment to winning top down" has little to do with Marvin. Marvin's pay grade doesn't leave him concerned with the "long term value" of the team. He could be coaching against them next year.

"Every player and coach regardless how good they are just eventually become Bungalized." But Marvin is just a "not good" coach. He's been "Bungalizing" himself for 17 years?

You started this by saying Marvin Lewis was the problem and that "excuses" like the FO don't matter, and now you're talking about how the whole org sucks.... Which is it man? Or have you confused the manager and the owner? Hell, Lewis isn't even the General Manager...

2 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

If the options are Hue, Marvin or Vance Joseph the answer is clear. 

Yeah, I would have to agree.   6-8 with Case Keenum as your QB and no defense is actually pretty good coaching.

1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:

So, you think Marvin Lewis is the top of the org chart?

On one hand you dismiss any criticisms of the front office, and then in the other you say that change can't come from the bottom up. "A commitment to winning top down" has little to do with Marvin. Marvin's pay grade doesn't leave him concerned with the "long term value" of the team. He could be coaching against them next year.

"Every player and coach regardless how good they are just eventually become Bungalized." But Marvin is just a "not good" coach. He's been "Bungalizing" himself for 17 years?

You started this by saying Marvin Lewis was the problem and that "excuses" like the FO don't matter, and now you're talking about how the whole org sucks.... Which is it man? Or have you confused the manager and the owner? Hell, Lewis isn't even the General Manager...

Do you actually read posts? I have flamed Mike Brown for his full 26 years in charge. This team needs to change from the top down. A 'smarter' owner, one committed to winning would have shit-canned Merv a decade ago. I said Merv was 'a' problem, not the entire problem - this teams needs a new owner, a GM, enhanced scouts and a whole new coaching staff. It needs a makeover IF it actually cares about winning. Given the team is not for sale, the only alternative lies with Katie and we have no idea how she would run the team but it cant be worse than no playoff wins in 26 years. 

So, I am clear now on where the problems lie? 

Here is the full post from the other forum on Merv's record:

This is our record vs. Playoff teams year by year. Actual Playoff loses are included, we're playing playoff teams.

2003: 1-3 vs. Playoff teams
Broncos - L
Ravens - L,W
St. L Rams - L

2004: 2-4 vs. Playoff teams actually 1-4, we played the Eagles in week 17 and won but they had playoff spot secured playing backups.
Stealers - L,L
Jets - L
Broncos - W
Patriots - L
Eagles - W

2005: 2-4 
*Stealers - L,W,L
Jags - L
Colts - L
Bears - W

2006: 3-4
Chiefs - W
Patriots - L
Ravens - L.W
Chargers - L
Saints - W
Colts - L

2007: 1-4
Stealers - L,L
Patriots - L
Titans - W
Seahawks -L

2008: 0-7-1 interestingly enough one of Merv's worst season coincides with playing several games against playoff teams.
Titans - L
Stealers - L,L
Colts - L
Ravens - L,L
Giants - L
Eagles - Tie

2009: 3-4 One loss against Jets was at end of season and we were resting starters. The other the playoffs.
Ravens - W,W
Chargers -L
*Jets - L,L
Vikings - L
Packers - W

2010: 1-7 again several games against playoff bound teams and we got smoked !
Stealers - L,L
Ravens - L,W
Colts - L
Jets - L
Falcons - L
Saints - L

2011: 0-8 Ironic huh ? never beat a playoff team all year and we made playoffs
Ravens - L,L
Stealers - L,L
*Texans - L,L
Broncos - L
49ers - L

2012: 2-3
Ravens - L,W
Broncos - L
Redskins - W
*Texans - L

2013: 4-1 Merv's best season against playoff teams, and we still fold in crunch time !
Patriots - W
*Chargers - W,L
Colts - W
Packers - W

2014: 3-5-1
Stealers L,L
Ravens - W,W
Patriots - L
*Colts - L, L
Broncos - W
Panthers - Tie

2015: 3-5 After beating the Stealers in week 9 or so we played 4 more games, including playoffs against PO teams and lost every one.
*Stealers L,W,L
Broncos - L
Chiefs - W
Texans - L
Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W

2016: 1-6 
Stealers - L,L
Patriots - L
Dolphins - W
Texans - L
Cowboys - L