My ideal offseason

This would be my ideal offseason. I wanted to get it in before black Monday and we retain Marvin. While this is an exercise in futility as is, when we retain Marvin it becomes even worse. 

Head Coach: Eric Bieniemy. Bieniemy coached at Minnesota and rose all the way to assistant head coach. Then moved on to Kansas City where he is Offensive Coordinator. Reid lauds his attention to detail and preparation. Maybe most importantly he has Bengals ties having played for the Bengals in the nineties for 3 years. 

Offensive Coordinator: Darrel Bevell.  Bevell was the Offensive coordinator for the Vikings when Bieniemy was RBs coach and is currently unemployed after years as the OC in Minnesota and Seattle. From what I can tell he likes a balanced offense and a focus on the run. It’s not an overly inspiring choice but he has a long history as an OC and Bieniemy would certainly put his stamp on the offense. 

Other options: Dirk Koetter, Bill Musgrave, Byron Leftwich, Hue Jackson

Defensive Coordinator: Vance Joseph. Joseph has ties to Bieniemy from Colorado and the AFC West. The 2 were teammates at Colorado in 1990. Obviously he coached in Cincinnati and is exceptionally well thought of by the front office. https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-notebook-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-knows-the-broncos-better-tha
Other options: Kris Richard, Mike Pettine, Jack Del Rio, Steve Wilkes, Todd Bowles, 

QBs Coach, AHC: Hue Jackson. This one was a struggle but I landed on Hue Jackson. I don’t think Hue gets another job in the league asap and Dalton has had some of his best years with Hue as an assistant on offense. Hue has coached QBs for the Ravens and Arizona State. 

RBs Coach: Sherman Smith. Smith has been out of coaching for the last year but was Bevell’s RB coach in Seattle for years. He is from Youngstown and went to Miami of Ohio. He is the biological father of Bieniemy’s current RBs coach Deland McCullough.

WRs Coach: Karl Dorrell. Dorrell is the current Jets WR’s coach. He was the head coach at UCLA when Bieniemy was RBs coach. 

TEs Coach: Jimmie Johnson. Johnson is the current Jets TE’s coach. He was the TE’s coach at Minnesota when both Bevell and Bieniemy were there. 

OL Coach: Frank Pollack. He has turned a very bad unit into an almost adequate unit and it will only get better with time and better players. 

DL Coach: Bill Kollar. Kollar is the current DL coach for the Broncos. 

LB Coach: Fred Pagac. Pagac is the current LB coach for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota

DB Coach: Joe Woods. Woods is the current Defensive Coordinator for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota. The 2 are reportedly close (see article above) and he may be a candidate for the DC position as well. 

STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. Simmons stays as STs coordinator. 

Free Agents to Re-sign:
1.    CB Darqueze Dennard: I am not 100% sure he is worth the contract he will get but CB is such an important position avoiding a gap at the spot will be important. 
2.    TE CJ Uzomah: He’s been above average as a starting TE in a league filled with questions and injuries at the position. Bringing him back for stability makes sense. 
3.    TE Tyler Eifert: His injury history is as obvious as his upside. A small base contract with aggressive incentives based on playing time makes a ton a sense for both parties. 
4.    T Jake Fisher: Fisher has been a bust but was coming on a little under Pollack this year before injuries. Tackles are sparse around the league, especially ones with some upside. Bringing Fisher back atleast for camp makes sense. 
5.    T Bobby Hart: Hart isn’t an answer at tackle but with the dearth of options the familiar becomes more attractive.
6.    LB Preston Brown: While I am not a big fan, we need some veterans at LB and he can fill that spot. 
7.    RFAs and ERFAs: Hopkins, Redmond, Washington, Tupou, McRae and Wilson. All re-signed. 
8.    Allow to leave: Kroft, Smith, Ogbuehi, Johnson, Rey
9.    Release: Vontaze Burfict: Burfict has been a liability on and off the field and I assume his energy is difficult in the locker room.

Free Agents to Sign: I think that it’s best to create a carrot of veterans who can provide leadership, playoff experience and a base skillset to build off of. I am not worried about their injuries or declining play because I think that young guys benefit from intermittently being called on to play. If a veteran plays 3 games and then a rookie needs to play 2 and then go back the bench, that is much better than not having the veteran and only playing the rookie. 
1.    Thomas Davis, LB, Carolina: Davis is a UFA and still playing at a high level (PFF 77.5 grade, 15th ranked LB, 74 tackles, 6 passes defensed). He isn’t the long term solution but he has been very good for a long time and can be that carrot we need for a young LB group. 
2.    Matt Slauson, G, Colts: Slauson is a UFA. He will be 33 at the start of next season. He broke 2 vertebrae this year in his back but is expecting to come back next year. The Colts OL is so good I am not sure he has a starting role their. We could pencil him in at RG and he could be the carrot there for Redmond, Price and Hopkins….whoever can fill in best. He was born in Cincinnati but I am not sure if he has ties beyond that. Slauson has a 66.8 PFF grade 
3.    Jermaine Kearse, WR, Jets: We continually go to thin at WR with the hope the youth will show up. Kearse played for what would be our WR coach in NY and our OC in Seattle and could come cheap. Solid 4th WR or ok 2nd if Ross never materializes. 
4.    Maxx Williams, TE, Baltimore: Continue to look for guys who are in places that they are underutilized. Williams got leapfrogged by 2 rookie TEs this year but could replace Kroft in the rotation. 
5.    Antoine Exum, S, 49ers: San Fran is loaded with good Safeties and we could use a 3rd that would allow us to play Shawn Williams more as a nickl/dime lb. 
6.    Austin Davis, QB, Titans: Was the backup in Seattle while Bevell was OC for a season. 

Draft
1.    OL: It is looking like OL is our best bet in round 1. Can hopefully get our RT of now and LT of the future. 
2.    LB: With re-signing Preston Brown and signing Thomas Davis we have the carrot for a 2nd round rookie to develop
3.    OL/LB

In the end we have

1-New Offensive system built around what the Chiefs, Bears, Eagles and Colts are doing. 

2-Staff with familiarity with the Bengals front office, the Bengals players and how things are done in Cincy.

3-3 new starters at LB, RT and RG. 

4-Depth at S, WR, TE and LB.
5-Maintains the Bengals MO, no splashes in Free Agency, hold on to your own, brings in coaches that they are familiar with.

QB Dalton 21 Driskel 20 Austin Davis DP    
RB Mixon 21 Bernard 20 Walton 22 Flowers    
WR Green 20 Jermaine Kearse Core 20 Whitfield    
WR Boyd 20 Malone 21 Tate 22      
WR Ross 22 Erickson 21 Sharp      
TE Eifert 19 Uzomah 19 Maxx Williams Schrek 21 Franks 20 Carter 20
LT Glenn 21 DP-3 Perkins      
LG Boling 20 Westerman 20        
C Price 23 Hopkins 19 Lundblade      
RG Matt Slauson Redmond 19 Taylor 22      
RT DP-1 Hart 19 Fisher 19      

K Bullock 21          
P Huber 21          
LS Harris 21          

LE Dunlap 22 Willis 21 DP      
LT Atkins 23 Washington 19 Ringo 20 Brown 22    
RT Billings 20 Glasgow 21 Scott 20 Tupou 19    
RE Hubbard 22 Lawson 21        
SLB Vigil 20 DP-3 Bell 20      
MLB Brown 19 DP-2 Jefferson 22 Nickerson 20    
WLB Thomas Davis Evans 21 Worley      
S Williams 21 Antoine Exum Wilson 19      
S Bates 22 Fejedelem 20 Henderson 21      
CB Kirkpatrick 22 Dennard 19 Phillips 22 Russell 20    
CB Jackson 21 McRae 19 Harris 22      

Mike Brown has a mild heart attack turn fatal when he allows it to be treated by the Bengals medical staff. Katie dyes her hair black and starts wearing lots of black makeup and replaces the traditional Guns n' Roses gametime music with Cradle of Filth.

In March, Katie walks out of a conference room with two middle fingers in the air for the media after selling the team for a record $1.25 Billion to Elon Musk who relocates the team to a tunnel he built somewhere between LA and Chicago.

Musk takes an "outside the box" approach to finding a new head coach in partnership with Microsoft called "Outside the Xbox X" event where the winner of a global Madden tournament will be the new head coach. 17 year old Soo Chi Ngyuen out of Korea becomes the NFL's youngest head coach and somehow manages to lose a record 17 games straight in his first season, being the only coach to ever lose a game on a bye week.

Marvin Lewis takes over the reigns of the Tesla Gigafactory and produces cars which are "consistently mediocre", which is an improvement. Within 6 months he is assassinated by a guy in a 350 king cab rolling coal.

Hue Jackson starts a successful real estate company exclusively buying and selling homes for 1st round QB's picked by the Bengals after Andy Dalton is traded to the Vikings.

Mike Zimmer writes a tell-all memoir that reveals that Marvin had to do Mike and Katie's pedicures every Monday before meeting with the press. The book is a surprise best-seller after the Vikings improbable Super Bowl win.

Vontaze Burfict borrows Mike Ditka's old wedding dress for his own ceremony with Rickey Williams. The two start up a refuge for retarded goats outside of Yuma, Arizona.

Jennifer Connelly's car breaks down outside my house, and my wife has to do that whole threesome thing she's been promising.

That would be pretty much ideal for me.

28 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Mike Brown has a mild heart attack turn fatal when he allows it to be treated by the Bengals medical staff. Katie dyes her hair black and starts wearing lots of black makeup and replaces the traditional Guns n' Roses gametime music with Cradle of Filth.

In March, Katie walks out of a conference room with two middle fingers in the air for the media after selling the team for a record $1.25 Billion to Elon Musk who relocates the team to a tunnel he built somewhere between LA and Chicago.

Musk takes an "outside the box" approach to finding a new head coach in partnership with Microsoft called "Outside the Xbox X" event where the winner of a global Madden tournament will be the new head coach. 17 year old Soo Chi Ngyuen out of Korea becomes the NFL's youngest head coach and somehow manages to lose a record 17 games straight in his first season, being the only coach to ever lose a game on a bye week.

Marvin Lewis takes over the reigns of the Tesla Gigafactory and produces cars which are "consistently mediocre", which is an improvement. Within 6 months he is assassinated by a guy in a 350 king cab rolling coal.

Hue Jackson starts a successful real estate company exclusively buying and selling homes for 1st round QB's picked by the Bengals after Andy Dalton is traded to the Vikings.

Mike Zimmer writes a tell-all memoir that reveals that Marvin had to do Mike and Katie's pedicures every Monday before meeting with the press. The book is a surprise best-seller after the Vikings improbable Super Bowl win.

Vontaze Burfict borrows Mike Ditka's old wedding dress for his own ceremony with Rickey Williams. The two start up a refuge for retarded goats outside of Yuma, Arizona.

Jennifer Connelly's car breaks down outside my house, and my wife has to that whole threesome thing she's been promising.

so I am not the only person that thinks she is the hottest thing ever....   it started as a kid and stuck with me forever 

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why Vance Joseph? What has he done to impress anyone?

Vance was hot early in the year, and now his team has fallen so we can pick him up. But if that's the benchmark, why not keep Marvin?

This is not a very inspiring year to be looking at coaches. However, if we have to make a move.... I'd much rather have a Munchak or Whisenhunt than give a "failure" another chance. And guys like Hue Jackson, and Vance Joseph currently have a biggol' whiff of failure following them around like a Captain D's value meal.

Maybe this will get me flamed around these parts, but if the Stealers are going to keep being successful in our very division, let's poach from their ranks.

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Shit why would you replace a store mannequin with Hue Jackson?

I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to think of a reason, witty or otherwise, and I can't. Like, maybe if the store mannequin was in Iraq and you were using it for sniper bait... And that's way too long to go for a joke. If you look up "dick knuckle" in the Urban Dictionary, they just have a picture of Hue Jackson.

7 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

so I am not the only person that thinks she is the hottest thing ever....   it started as a kid and stuck with me forever 

"You have no power over me...." Yeah, she's a perfect mix of girl-next-door meets sultry. Like, you want to take her out to feed ducks and get hot chocolate while you listen to John Tesh before you take her home and strap her in to the sex swing. Time did her no disservice either.

Jennifer_Connelly_photo.filmcelebritiesactresses.blogspot-1170.jpg

14 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Vance was hot early in the year, and now his team has fallen so we can pick him up. But if that's the benchmark, why not keep Marvin?

This is not a very inspiring year to be looking at coaches. However, if we have to make a move.... I'd much rather have a Munchak or Whisenhunt than give a "failure" another chance. And guys like Hue Jackson, and Vance Joseph currently have a biggol' whiff of failure following them around like a Captain D's value meal.

Maybe this will get me flamed around these parts, but if the Stealers are going to keep being successful in our very division, let's poach from their ranks.

My concern (not that it's at all a unique one) is that no HC worth a shit would accept whatever hare-brained conditions & meddling come with working for Mike.  Much like free agency I think we're realistically looking at B or C talent at best.

So I guess my ideal offseason comes down to Redeemer cleaning house & then getting the fuck out of the way, & that Katie/Troy put people in place that can actually get this team to the next level.

No illusions as to the odds of that actually happening.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:43 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

Jennifer Connelly's car breaks down outside my house, and my wife has to do that whole threesome thing she's been promising.

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, Jennifer Connelly and threesome. 

Post of the year. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

2 questions:

Why Vance Joseph? What has he done to impress anyone?

Why would you replace a solid QB coach with Hue Jackson?  Shit why would you replace a store mannequin with Hue Jackson?

What makes you think Alex Van Pelt is a solid QB coach? I am not asking that condescendingly. I had him there several times when mocking this up before and then I realized that I didn't really have any reason to keep him there. Has Dalton played well this year? Driskell?

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

My concern (not that it's at all a unique one) is that no HC worth a shit would accept whatever hare-brained conditions & meddling come with working for Mike.  Much like free agency I think we're realistically looking at B or C talent at best.

So I guess my ideal offseason comes down to Redeemer cleaning house & then getting the fuck out of the way, & that Katie/Troy put people in place that can actually get this team to the next level.

No illusions as to the odds of that actually happening.

I don't disagree. Sometimes it's fun just to pretend like we are a normal team. 

25 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

An additional interesting option

Dan Campbell as HC (current Saints TEs)

Joe Lombardi as OC (current Saints QBs)

Todd Bowles as DC (Coached with him in Miami)

Those are good choices for the Browns. It would be amazing if Mike and Katie Brown ever thought this way. 

4 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

What makes you think Alex Van Pelt is a solid QB coach? I am not asking that condescendingly. I had him there several times when mocking this up before and then I realized that I didn't really have any reason to keep him there. Has Dalton played well this year? Driskell?

Unless Pelt was playing OT in disguise I think you are looking at the wrong common denominator there. 

Regardless, he's not Hue Jackson.  I mean ok if you want to replace the guy, but Hue? I wouldn't let that windbag within 300 feet of my team.

7 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Brilliant man. Bravo!

21 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Does Hue hire Icky for his TV ads?

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2018 at 3:47 PM, MichaelWeston said:

This would be my ideal offseason. I wanted to get it in before black Monday and we retain Marvin. While this is an exercise in futility as is, when we retain Marvin it becomes even worse. 

Head Coach: Eric Bieniemy. Bieniemy coached at Minnesota and rose all the way to assistant head coach. Then moved on to Kansas City where he is Offensive Coordinator. Reid lauds his attention to detail and preparation. Maybe most importantly he has Bengals ties having played for the Bengals in the nineties for 3 years. 

Offensive Coordinator: Darrel Bevell.  Bevell was the Offensive coordinator for the Vikings when Bieniemy was RBs coach and is currently unemployed after years as the OC in Minnesota and Seattle. From what I can tell he likes a balanced offense and a focus on the run. It’s not an overly inspiring choice but he has a long history as an OC and Bieniemy would certainly put his stamp on the offense. 

Other options: Dirk Koetter, Bill Musgrave, Byron Leftwich, Hue Jackson

Defensive Coordinator: Vance Joseph. Joseph has ties to Bieniemy from Colorado and the AFC West. The 2 were teammates at Colorado in 1990. Obviously he coached in Cincinnati and is exceptionally well thought of by the front office. https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-notebook-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-knows-the-broncos-better-tha
Other options: Kris Richard, Mike Pettine, Jack Del Rio, Steve Wilkes, Todd Bowles, 

QBs Coach, AHC: Hue Jackson. This one was a struggle but I landed on Hue Jackson. I don’t think Hue gets another job in the league asap and Dalton has had some of his best years with Hue as an assistant on offense. Hue has coached QBs for the Ravens and Arizona State. 

RBs Coach: Sherman Smith. Smith has been out of coaching for the last year but was Bevell’s RB coach in Seattle for years. He is from Youngstown and went to Miami of Ohio. He is the biological father of Bieniemy’s current RBs coach Deland McCullough.

WRs Coach: Karl Dorrell. Dorrell is the current Jets WR’s coach. He was the head coach at UCLA when Bieniemy was RBs coach. 

TEs Coach: Jimmie Johnson. Johnson is the current Jets TE’s coach. He was the TE’s coach at Minnesota when both Bevell and Bieniemy were there. 

OL Coach: Frank Pollack. He has turned a very bad unit into an almost adequate unit and it will only get better with time and better players. 

DL Coach: Bill Kollar. Kollar is the current DL coach for the Broncos. 

LB Coach: Fred Pagac. Pagac is the current LB coach for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota

DB Coach: Joe Woods. Woods is the current Defensive Coordinator for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota. The 2 are reportedly close (see article above) and he may be a candidate for the DC position as well. 

STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. Simmons stays as STs coordinator. 

Free Agents to Re-sign:
1.    CB Darqueze Dennard: I am not 100% sure he is worth the contract he will get but CB is such an important position avoiding a gap at the spot will be important. 
2.    TE CJ Uzomah: He’s been above average as a starting TE in a league filled with questions and injuries at the position. Bringing him back for stability makes sense. 
3.    TE Tyler Eifert: His injury history is as obvious as his upside. A small base contract with aggressive incentives based on playing time makes a ton a sense for both parties. 
4.    T Jake Fisher: Fisher has been a bust but was coming on a little under Pollack this year before injuries. Tackles are sparse around the league, especially ones with some upside. Bringing Fisher back atleast for camp makes sense. 
5.    T Bobby Hart: Hart isn’t an answer at tackle but with the dearth of options the familiar becomes more attractive.
6.    LB Preston Brown: While I am not a big fan, we need some veterans at LB and he can fill that spot. 
7.    RFAs and ERFAs: Hopkins, Redmond, Washington, Tupou, McRae and Wilson. All re-signed. 
8.    Allow to leave: Kroft, Smith, Ogbuehi, Johnson, Rey
9.    Release: Vontaze Burfict: Burfict has been a liability on and off the field and I assume his energy is difficult in the locker room.

Free Agents to Sign: I think that it’s best to create a carrot of veterans who can provide leadership, playoff experience and a base skillset to build off of. I am not worried about their injuries or declining play because I think that young guys benefit from intermittently being called on to play. If a veteran plays 3 games and then a rookie needs to play 2 and then go back the bench, that is much better than not having the veteran and only playing the rookie. 
1.    Thomas Davis, LB, Carolina: Davis is a UFA and still playing at a high level (PFF 77.5 grade, 15th ranked LB, 74 tackles, 6 passes defensed). He isn’t the long term solution but he has been very good for a long time and can be that carrot we need for a young LB group. 
2.    Matt Slauson, G, Colts: Slauson is a UFA. He will be 33 at the start of next season. He broke 2 vertebrae this year in his back but is expecting to come back next year. The Colts OL is so good I am not sure he has a starting role their. We could pencil him in at RG and he could be the carrot there for Redmond, Price and Hopkins….whoever can fill in best. He was born in Cincinnati but I am not sure if he has ties beyond that. Slauson has a 66.8 PFF grade 
3.    Jermaine Kearse, WR, Jets: We continually go to thin at WR with the hope the youth will show up. Kearse played for what would be our WR coach in NY and our OC in Seattle and could come cheap. Solid 4th WR or ok 2nd if Ross never materializes. 
4.    Maxx Williams, TE, Baltimore: Continue to look for guys who are in places that they are underutilized. Williams got leapfrogged by 2 rookie TEs this year but could replace Kroft in the rotation. 
5.    Antoine Exum, S, 49ers: San Fran is loaded with good Safeties and we could use a 3rd that would allow us to play Shawn Williams more as a nickl/dime lb. 
6.    Austin Davis, QB, Titans: Was the backup in Seattle while Bevell was OC for a season. 

Draft
1.    OL: It is looking like OL is our best bet in round 1. Can hopefully get our RT of now and LT of the future. 
2.    LB: With re-signing Preston Brown and signing Thomas Davis we have the carrot for a 2nd round rookie to develop
3.    OL/LB

In the end we have

1-New Offensive system built around what the Chiefs, Bears, Eagles and Colts are doing. 

2-Staff with familiarity with the Bengals front office, the Bengals players and how things are done in Cincy.

3-3 new starters at LB, RT and RG. 

4-Depth at S, WR, TE and LB.
5-Maintains the Bengals MO, no splashes in Free Agency, hold on to your own, brings in coaches that they are familiar with.

QB Dalton 21 Driskel 20 Austin Davis DP    
RB Mixon 21 Bernard 20 Walton 22 Flowers    
WR Green 20 Jermaine Kearse Core 20 Whitfield    
WR Boyd 20 Malone 21 Tate 22      
WR Ross 22 Erickson 21 Sharp      
TE Eifert 19 Uzomah 19 Maxx Williams Schrek 21 Franks 20 Carter 20
LT Glenn 21 DP-3 Perkins      
LG Boling 20 Westerman 20        
C Price 23 Hopkins 19 Lundblade      
RG Matt Slauson Redmond 19 Taylor 22      
RT DP-1 Hart 19 Fisher 19      

K Bullock 21          
P Huber 21          
LS Harris 21          

LE Dunlap 22 Willis 21 DP      
LT Atkins 23 Washington 19 Ringo 20 Brown 22    
RT Billings 20 Glasgow 21 Scott 20 Tupou 19    
RE Hubbard 22 Lawson 21        
SLB Vigil 20 DP-3 Bell 20      
MLB Brown 19 DP-2 Jefferson 22 Nickerson 20    
WLB Thomas Davis Evans 21 Worley      
S Williams 21 Antoine Exum Wilson 19      
S Bates 22 Fejedelem 20 Henderson 21      
CB Kirkpatrick 22 Dennard 19 Phillips 22 Russell 20    
CB Jackson 21 McRae 19 Harris 22      

We got back all the free agents I wanted back. Hart's contract just clouds things. 

Archived