Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown consensually uncouple

2 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

ok man..

I get it.. we sucked really bad before ole marv.. I remember those days too.

I really appreciate where he brought us from... but 0-7 and trending down isn't a good thing. it was time

I will never understand fans that are so afraid that we will go back to the old days that they accept mediocrity 

i think my thought process has been shared plenty of times here..

lets say there are ....3 good nfl coach candidates that hit the market or able to promote or up from college or out of retirement or whatever..

here are the likely coaching openings:

1. Miami - open now

2. Denver - open now

3. NY - rumored

4. Cincinnati - open now

who in the hell is picking cincinnati out of those 4 cities?  "hey wife, kids, we could be in miami or new york, or denver, but i think sunny cincinnati is the best spot.

we have those:

1. worst weather

2. worst economy (for endorsements, running a side business, fan support, etc)

3. worst nightlight

4. wost entertainment

5. worst luxury level

6. worst ownership reputation

7. a history of police and fan brutality against our players

i would love to know where this optimism that we can land a great coaching option comes from....

44 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

How any fan is anything but extremely nervous about this is the reason we cannot have nice things.

Marvin Lewis - 0 playoff wins

Dick Lebeau - 0 playoff wins

Bruce Coslet - 0 playoff wins

Dave Shula - 0 playoff wins

Thats the last 4 coaches of the bengals, the odds are incredibly stacked against us.

Fixed it for you. And the 2002 team Marvin inherited had plenty of good young players on it. Any there is no excuse for what this o line has become unless you are willing to say Marvin has no say in personnel decisions. 

0 playoff wins in 16 years is not nice it is shit. BTW, Marvin only made the playoffs twice with your love interest Carson Palmer. 

37 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

How any fan is anything but extremely nervous about this is the reason we cannot have nice things.

Marvin Lewis ( Coach of the year, playoffs 7 times in 16 seasons )

Dick Lebeau - Garbage

Bruce Coslet - Garbage

Dave Shula - Garbage

Thats the last 4 coaches of the bengals, the odds are incredibly stacked against us.

I get it, the same thing that happened with getting rid of Dusty Baker and the Reds going to shit afterword. And I don't think anyone here is not nervous about it.

That said you can't expect to keep losing like this and to never once win a playoff game and keep your job. It's been 16 years he's had more than enough time.

3 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

lets say there are ....3 good nfl coach candidates that hit the market or able to promote or up from college or out of retirement or whatever..

1. Miami - open now

2. Denver - open now

3. NY - rumored

4. Cincinnati - open now

who in the hell is picking cincinnati out of those 4 cities?  "hey wife, kids, we could be in miami or new york, or denver, but i think sunny cincinnati is the best spot.

we have those:

1. worst weather

3. worst nightlight

4. wost entertainment

5. worst luxury level

i would love to know where this optimism that we can land a great coaching option comes from....

I don't get how you can be so negative all the time. It's problematic.

In addition you are not even paying attention. 

There are 8 openings now. There are more than 8 quality candidates. You had no idea who Sean McVay was before he was a head coach. 

24 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

this could easily be a "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

As a fan since the 80's I have been a big Marvin supporter. He's done a very good job running a very bad club. (How many other coaches have had to deal with their star QB deciding to retire instead of play for their owner?)

That said... It's just stale at this point. More than anything, I just want a change of scenery. Marvin looks about as disinterested on the sidelines as I do on my couch. If the rumors are true and Mike Brown has basically had to beg Marvin to come back... Do you really want a Head Coach who is just "Meh" on taking a 6 million a year job that 100 guys would give their right nut for?

Things may well trend downward after this... but at least we're not going to be flatlining.

Thanks to Marvin for bringing us out of the dark ages. Don't let the door smack ya where the lord cracked ya. 

1 minute ago, GoBengals said:

1. Miami - open now

2. Denver - open now

3. NY - rumored

4. Cincinnati - open now

we have those:

1. worst weather

3. worst nightlight

4. wost entertainment

5. worst luxury level

I have lived/currently live in three of the four places you listed. Let me just say that big city life, particularly for people who are age appropriate to be coaches, is likely not the end all be all. It’s likely not even something they give a second thought to. I enjoyed living in New York because its a wonderfully designed and funded place and because my business was in the performing arts. However, it’s a fucking BRUTAL existence.

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, which is essentially the northern urban suburbs of Miami. It’s a fucking rat race. The weather is nice, four months out of the year. The rest of the time the heat and humidity are insane. Also, hands down, worst drivers I have ever experienced. 

All this to say: who the hell knows what would make a job appealing to a candidate in this unique situation. I believe a bunch of your bullet points generally don’t resonate when comparing them with things relating to matter of the team to be inherited. Fact of the matter, the Bengals have a LOT of incredible pieces already in the fold. Succeeding with this team, right away, shouldn’t be a struggle. If the Brown family grants control, which they have been doing more and more in recent seasons, this job might look pretty cherry.

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

You had no idea who Sean McVay was before he was a head coach.

The problem is that Mike Brown though he was a used car dealer in Dayton, and Katie thought he was one of the guys on the last season of Survivor. They'll just end up hiring whichever coach runs fastest at the combine.

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

As a fan since the 80's I have been a big Marvin supporter. He's done a very good job running a very bad club. (How many other coaches have had to deal with their star QB deciding to retire instead of play for their owner?)

That said... It's just stale at this point. More than anything, I just want a change of scenery. Marvin looks about as disinterested on the sidelines as I do on my couch. If the rumors are true and Mike Brown has basically had to beg Marvin to come back... Do you really want a Head Coach who is just "Meh" on taking a 6 million a year job that 100 guys would give their right nut for?

Things may well trend downward after this... but at least we're not going to be flatlining.

Thanks to Marvin for bringing us out of the dark ages. Don't let the door smack ya where the lord cracked ya. 

This is my stance as well.  Marvin did a lot of good things for the team, but regardless of what the outcome is it is time to move on.  If we're worse, fine, at least we can hope that it shines more light on the turd that is Mike Brown.

6 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Because a bunch of young ones aren't. 

yet.

id quality 3 of the coaches in the playoffs as "young up coming cooridinators" rams, chargers and bears. 

so 3 in the playoffs... and 2 fired so far today... all im saying is.. a young talented coordinators has a better likely hood of getting fired in two years than taking us to the playoffs.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 9.53.52 AM.png

1 minute ago, thezerawkid said:

I have lived/currently live in three of the four places you listed. Let me just say that big city life, particularly for people who are age appropriate to be coaches, is likely not the end all be all. It’s likely not even something they give a second thought to. I enjoyed living in New York because its a wonderfully designed and funded place and because my business was in the performing arts. However, it’s a fucking BRUTAL existence.

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, which is essentially the northern urban suburbs of Miami. It’s a fucking rat race. The weather is nice, four months out of the year. The rest of the time the heat and humidity are insane. Also, hands down, worst drivers I have ever experienced. 

All this to say: who the hell knows what would make a job appealing to a candidate in this unique situation. I believe a bunch of your bullet points generally don’t resonate when comparing them with things relating to matter of the team to be inherited. Fact of the matter, the Bengals have a LOT of incredible pieces already in the fold. Succeeding with this team, right away, shouldn’t be a struggle. If the Brown family grants control, which they have been doing more and more in recent seasons, this job might look pretty cherry.

Which places had the best nightlight?

Just now, GoBengals said:

yet.

id quality 3 of the coaches in the playoffs as "young up coming cooridinators" rams, chargers and bears. 

so 3 in the playoffs... and 2 fired so far today... all im saying is.. a young talented coordinators has a better likely hood of getting fired in two years than taking us to the playoffs.

Every coach with any background does. That's how the NFL works. That's like saying don't go out on dates because you aren't sure you are going to marry everyone of them. 

1 hour ago, Cat said:

Meet your new head coach:

Image result for paul alexander

Die in a fire. This is the best example I've seen in a while that says, "bring back negative rep on the board."

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Why is it sad?

Because I kind of wanted him to be more successful. 

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

Every coach with any background does. That's how the NFL works. That's like saying don't go out on dates because you aren't sure you are going to marry everyone of them. 

its nothing at all like that really.

it would be if you had a better chance of getting a psycho stalkers than someone who was nice and you could enjoy their time. i dont know how your dates have went... but thats not my experience.

2 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

yet.

There was a time when Marvin Lewis was a talented coordinator too and he was given 16 years to do something. Im sure whomever we hire next will get more than 2 years

Bengals press release (bolding mine).  "Mutual".  I wonder if any money for the option year passed hands?  Maybe to avoid another ugly Sam Wyche "I was fired/He resigned" dog and pony show.

The Cincinnati Bengals and Marvin Lewis have mutually decided to part ways after 16 seasons.

Lewis was named the ninth head coach in Bengals history on Jan. 14, 2003. His career record is 131-122-3 in regular season and 131-129-3 including postseason. His total of 131 career victories is the most in team history and ranks tied for 24th in NFL history.

Lewis led the Bengals to the postseason seven times, including a five-year run from 2011-15. The total number of playoff trips and the five-year streak of consecutive appearances are Bengals records, and the Bengals were one of only four NFL teams to reach the playoffs every year from 2011-15. The total of seven playoff appearances in Lewis’ career (since 2003) ranks tied for 10th in the NFL, and the team’s total of six playoff appearances in the last 10 seasons (since 2009) ranks tied for fourth in the league.

Lewis was the consensus choice for NFL Coach of the Year in 2009, when the Bengals won the AFC North Division while sweeping all six division games. The Bengals also were AFC North champions under Lewis in 2005, 2013 and 2015. Lewis coached 21 Pro Bowl players, who made a combined 48 Pro Bowl appearances. He served on the NFL Competition Committee for 12 years from 2006-18.

“I want to thank the Bengals’ organization, the fans and the city of Cincinnati for their support,” Lewis said. “I regret I haven’t been able to provide them with the No. 1 goal of being world champions. I also want to thank our players, coaches and team employees for their effort and professionalism over the past 16 years. A lot of fine people have gone through this building in that time, and the organization is better for all of them having been a part of it.”

15 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

This is nonsense.  Arresting dumbasses like PAC Man and Chris Henry is not police brutality and when did a fan ever brutally assault any of our players?  

Archived