Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown consensually uncouple

Simple truth: pick any swinging dick from organization A-Z. Half will hate it from the get-go, half will love it like the holy child from the outset. And there will be expert analysis--repleat with endless statistics and quotes from squawking heads. 

But a year from now, everyone will hate him. 

53 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Simple truth: pick any swinging dick from organization A-Z. Half will hate it from the get-go, half will love it like the holy child from the outset. And there will be expert analysis--repleat with endless statistics and quotes from squawking heads. 

But a year from now, everyone will hate him. 

All he has to do is win a playoff game in 4 years. Period. Marvin Lewis had 16 years to do it. Had a borderline Hall of Fame QB he didn’t accomplish shit with.  Palmer didn’t do shit here. 

If Marvin is the best possible coach this franchise can have it should be sold and moved.  He failed. 

18 hours ago, pagalbengal said:

Don't understand all the hate out there for Marvin.  By all measures, he left this team better than he found it.  Remember when this franchise was Siberia and no credible player or coach wanted anything to do with it?  We were doomed to an endless bootloop of Shulas and Coslets and Klingers and Akilis.  With the very occasional Blake2Pickens and Boomer/Dillon blips to torment us?

For a hot minute in the mid 2000's, it was cool to be a Bengals fan when Palmer and Chad were gracing SI covers.  In the early 2010's, the Bengals were holding their own (at least in the regular season) regularly in the Division hunt and always making the playoffs.

With that said, it was time.  Actually, past time.  On most other teams, Marvin Lewis wouldn't have made it past 2010.  

He got a second life, whether it be because of Mike Brown's loyalty or cheapness.  He got to reboot and start over in 2011 with Dalton, Green, Gruden and Zimmer and had a pretty above average run for 4-5 years.  But he took the team as far as he could, with some bad breaks thrown in for good measure.  Burfict and PacMan sealed his legacy as the biggest playoff loser in history.  

Unfortunately, that is as high a ceiling that the man could take us.  High time for a change.

With that said, I'll give the man his due.

Same. I like Marvin, I really do. I wanted him as my first choice when the rumors were he was on our short list years ago. But after 16 years if you cant get out of the first round of the playoffs, with multiple chances, ts time to go. I'm sad he wasnt the guy, but its time to move on.

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Same. I like Marvin, I really do. I wanted him as my first choice when the rumors were he was on our short list years ago. But after 16 years if you cant get out of the first round of the playoffs, with multiple chances, ts time to go. I'm sad he wasnt the guy, but its time to move on.

He got us as close as he could, which was a long way from where he started.  He definitely raised everyone's expectations for the next guy.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

He got us as close as he could, which was a long way from where he started.  He definitely raised everyone's expectations for the next guy.

Now watch him get a gig in Cleveland or somewhere and take them all the way because Ol' Musty isn't there to undermine him.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Indeed. I definitely appreciate him bringing us out of the dark ages but this team has gotten stagnant and even regressed. Time to move on. 

3 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

Now watch him get a gig in Cleveland or somewhere and take them all the way because Ol' Musty isn't there to undermine him.

You, you, shut your filthy mouth!

Words can even describe the epic meltdown I would have. 

4 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

I kind of hope that happens to be honest. It might make Ol' Must take notice of the things he isnt doing.

Well except the Cleveland part

21 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I kind of hope that happens to be honest. It might make Ol' Must take notice of the things he isnt doing.

I know many on the board disagree, but I think Marvin is an above average coach. And I also think that's allowed the Brown family to continue with business as usual for a good number of years. Much like the alcoholic who "doesn't have a problem" because his devoted wife enables his addiction, the Brown family had been able to delude themselves that they're "getting close" because Marvin keeps the train on the tracks and generally wins the games he's supposed to.

I also think that the club is going to trend downwards for the next few years unless they can find someone as capable as Marvin. He's been our defacto GM for a long time. Scouting, managing the owners, hiring and firing... The next guy has to be able to run every facet of an org while placating Mike Brown and his idiot children.

Sometimes, things have to get worse before they get better. And after 30 years, that is the only way I see a change coming. Let's hope they suck again, and let's hope it makes the Brown family not want to run a football team anymore.

I mean C'mon... Mike really wants Hue Jackson but he's afraid that the fans know how fucking dumb that is. Anyone who didn't have their nose buried up Katie's chocolate factory knew that letting Whitworth walk was stupid. And you can change horses all you like, but as long as those two silver spoon dick knuckles are holding the reigns, we're still going nowhere. They can keep swapping out drummers, but the beat never changes.

https://deadspin.com/for-better-and-worse-marvin-lewis-was-the-bengals-1831399723

Sums it up pretty well.

There’s a lot to recommend Lewis. He leaves behind a 131-129-3 record, seven postseason appearances, six double-digit-win seasons, and four division titles. He has 15 more wins than the next two winningest coaches in franchise history combined. All of this under Brown, the cheapest and perhaps worst owner in the league, who refuses to hire a GM or build an indoor practice facility. He hired a slew of coordinators that went on to become head coaches. He was well-liked by his players.

But: the playoff thing. Lewis’s Bengals were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round each and every one of the seven times they made it.

My feelings about Marvin were not because the Bengals lost those 7 playoff games it was how they played in those games.

In 2015 you had the end of game meltdown and in the other 6 games the Bengals were outscored 84-13 in the 2nd half and were held scoreless in the 2nd half of 4 of those games.

And IIRC a lot of those years they had a top 10 defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived