Who's the next HC?

58 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I never said anything about Lombardi trophies. I am talking about money. 

The Bengals are 2nd to last in revenue, 3rd to last in franchise value.  

So the premise of your argument is that the Brown family only cares about money and not enough about winning? I still say that's BS. They make money regardless of whether they win or not. They CAN make a lot more money and make the franchise more valuable by winning. You can't say this team isn't trying to win when you have the benefit of hindsight. Remember when Palmer was made the highest paid player in the league? Why would such a cheap organization do that?

Is it because we let whitworth walk? He wanted a lot of money for an aging LT. Is it because this team doesn't know how to draft? We have found some late round gems, and to be fair, we've whiffed on some early picks. That happens to every team and not just the Bengals. There's some guys we've drafted who are still in the league and had pretty solid careers.

1 hour ago, OneHeartBeat said:

So the premise of your argument is that the Brown family only cares about money and not enough about winning? I still say that's BS. They make money regardless of whether they win or not. They CAN make a lot more money and make the franchise more valuable by winning. You can't say this team isn't trying to win when you have the benefit of hindsight. Remember when Palmer was made the highest paid player in the league? Why would such a cheap organization do that?

Is it because we let whitworth walk? He wanted a lot of money for an aging LT. Is it because this team doesn't know how to draft? We have found some late round gems, and to be fair, we've whiffed on some early picks. That happens to every team and not just the Bengals. There's some guys we've drafted who are still in the league and had pretty solid careers.

No I don’t think Mike Brown cares too much about winning at this point.   He took the franchise over in 1991 and it has increased in value dramatically off the backs of the other owners and forward looking people like Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue.   He is 83 and is too set in his ways to change much now. 

We will only (possibly) see real change when he is totally out of the decision making.   Until then hope they get a decent coach who can bring in other good coaches. 

BTW, there is thing called a salary cap. The Bengals, like every other team have to spend to the cap, NOT OVER IT. Acting as if the Bengals reached deep into their pockets and paid Carson Palmer a bunch of extra money is laughable.  

Are you aware the top 6 paid QBs are not in the playoffs this year?  That’s how the salary cap works, overpay at one position, suffer at others.  You need experts at working the cap and evaluating talent in your organization, something the Brown family CAN splurge money on but don’t. 

Katie and Troy will have plenty of options in 2026?  Maybe they want to accomplish something more than cashing franchise checks. 

You, Sir, are part of the problem. By listening to that moron, you are contributing to keeping him on the air. You should immediately return home and flog yourself.

Kidding aside, I think these guys are throwing out any possible name so they can be 'right' - no chance Kelly comes here.

I hate it, but I think they go with Joseph.

To the contrary... I think the bengals are the one NFL job that Brian Kelly would consider.

He was an absolute rockstar at UC. “Coming home” to some place he was so beloved, must be enough to at least pique his interest.

Upside: The administrative requirements are old hat for him. Regardless of the skill set of his quarterbacks, he’s always been able to put those guys in position to succeed. He’d also be a very charismatic face of the franchise. The whole “tower falling over, student dying” thing aside, Kelly’s been pretty good in terms of communications.

Downside: He’s a bit of a megalomaniac. BK’s had a fair amount of success, and seems to have read a lot of his own press over the years. It’s sort of evolved into arrogance. The problem is that I don’t know that he’s achieved enough to bring that attitude to the NFL. Players might look at the guy like, “what has he won?”

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

How about Lazor HC, Hue OC, Joseph DC?

About as inbred as a Pittsburgh family reunion as you can get.

Bill Lazor’s not nearly qualified, imo.

He’s got about three and half years as an OC. His two years in Cincinnati have been - at best - alright. Miami? 14th in total yards in 2014. 26th in 2015.

Color me underwhelmed.

1 hour ago, Big Alice said:

To the contrary... I think the bengals are the one NFL job that Brian Kelly would consider.

He was an absolute rockstar at UC. “Coming home” to some place he was so beloved, must be enough to at least pique his interest.

Upside: The administrative requirements are old hat for him. Regardless of the skill set of his quarterbacks, he’s always been able to put those guys in position to succeed. He’d also be a very charismatic face of the franchise. The whole “tower falling over, student dying” thing aside, Kelly’s been pretty good in terms of communications.

Downside: He’s a bit of a megalomaniac. BK’s had a fair amount of success, and seems to have read a lot of his own press over the years. It’s sort of evolved into arrogance. The problem is that I don’t know that he’s achieved enough to bring that attitude to the NFL. Players might look at the guy like, “what has he won?”

The feeling around here was that he was a traitor, of sorts, and sold UC out and left town when a better job came along

and he had made promises here.  I don't think the community would embrace him.  Someplace else, maybe.

48 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

Bill Lazor’s not nearly qualified, imo.

He’s got about three and half years as an OC. His two years in Cincinnati have been - at best - alright. Miami? 14th in total yards in 2014. 26th in 2015.

Color me underwhelmed.

Just threw it out there for gits and shiggles.

Good way to get Marvin's band back together to

get their feet wet and Hue or Vance would move up

with Lazor being thrown under the bus.  Another

Marvin trait.

We are interviewing 7 people so far. My preference would be

1. Zac Taylor

2. Vance Joseph

3. Josh McDaniels

4. Darrin Simmons 

5. Shane Waldron

6. Bill Lazor

7. Hue Jackson

One of the things to think about with Taylor and Waldro are they are technically not OC's right now. Sometimes people interview for jobs and then become the OC at that place. 

A couple of thoughts on potential staffs. 

Joseph

OC-Could be Adam Gase, they coached together in Miami. Gase is likely to get a head coaching job and will be in demand as an OC, but it's possible the Joseph connection has him here as OC. 

DC-Joe Woods is his DC in Denver. Was solid in 2017 but not so much this year. They ran a 3-4. Matt Burke was the DC in Miami the last 2 years taking over after Joseph went to Denver. He was the former LBs coach here. His defense the last two years has been bad. 

Taylor

OC-The Likely OC is his brother, Press Taylor. He is the QBs coach in Philadelphia. Another option would be a guy from LA who wants to be the filltime OC. 

DC-Rams AHC, LBs coach has experience as a DC. Joe Barry. 

You know what dudes. Fuck it. I'm down to give Hue a one year contract and a chance. 

We are in the toughest division. Ravens looking great with the QB I said we should have drafted. Stealers always good. Freaking turds are earning respect too. 

Who is going to come in here and give us the best chance at beating those 3 teams twice next year?  My guess is actually Hue.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:02 PM, MichaelWeston said:

We are interviewing 7 people so far. My preference would be

1. Zac Taylor

2. Vance Joseph

3. Josh McDaniels

4. Darrin Simmons 

5. Shane Waldron

6. Bill Lazor

7. Hue Jackson

One of the things to think about with Taylor and Waldro are they are technically not OC's right now. Sometimes people interview for jobs and then become the OC at that place. 

You need to update. Not surprisingly, mcdaniels said no to interviewing. Pleases me because he was such a cock in his Denver stop and to Indy last year. 

You need to add the Tampa guy to the list.

7 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

You know what dudes. Fuck it. I'm down to give Hue a one year contract and a chance. 

We are in the toughest division. Ravens looking great with the QB I said we should have drafted. Stealers always good. Freaking turds are earning respect too. 

Who is going to come in here and give us the best chance at beating those 3 teams twice next year?  My guess is actually Hue.

He is 1-4-1 the last 3 years against the AFC North. No thanks. 

7 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Can someone send the directions about how to block people?

3 hours ago, membengal said:

You need to update. Not surprisingly, mcdaniels said no to interviewing. Pleases me because he was such a cock in his Denver stop and to Indy last year. 

You need to add the Tampa guy to the list.

There all on the official list. I'm not updating this one. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:40 PM, SF2 said:

No I don’t think Mike Brown cares too much about winning at this point.   He took the franchise over in 1991 and it has increased in value dramatically off the backs of the other owners and forward looking people like Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue.

And as Jeff Bezos will tell you, that as good as having a personal fortune.

Beyond the simple notion that they could sell off 10% of the team shares and net $100 Million, as the current sole owners, they could just as easily borrow that with the shares as collateral. With extremely favorable rates.

The idea that they need stadium revenue is false. The Bengals financials are very sound, and the increasing value of sports franchises matters far more than butts in seats. Mike Brown is sitting on an almost literal gold mine. Between TV contracts, revenue sharing and a lean front office, the Bengals probably bring in $60 - 100M a year after everyone gets paid. And as sole shareholders, that becomes money in the Bengals bank account controlled by Mike Brown and the family alone. He could easily have the team buy him a private jet. Or pay for his executive residence. Great tax dodge.

You can extrapolate from the salary cap and known operating costs. But I would guess that since the Brown family competed the stock buyback in 2011, they have been able to put away ~$600 Million in profits.

Hold on to your hats for this.... A resent SI piece says Mike Brown PERSONALLY is worth $925 Million, and the Franchise is worth another $1.8 Billion. Off a $7 M investment in 1968 and the luck to come out of the right pair of gonads.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown

That means he's as wealthy as Facebook's Peter Theil and Sean Parker. Top 1000 in the world.

Do you think a guy with almost a Billion in the bank thinks YOU know what you're talking about? The Bengals have been wildly successful by his metrics. 

6 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Beyond the simple notion that they could sell off 10% of the team shares and net $100 Million, as the current sole owners, they could just as easily borrow that with the shares as collateral. With extremely favorable rates.

The idea that they need stadium revenue is false. The Bengals financials are very sound, and the increasing value of sports franchises matters far more than butts in seats. Mike Brown is sitting on an almost literal gold mine. Between TV contracts, revenue sharing and a lean front office, the Bengals probably bring in $60 - 100M a year after everyone gets paid. And as sole shareholders, that becomes money in the Bengals bank account controlled by Mike Brown and the family alone. He could easily have the team buy him a private jet. Or pay for his executive residence. Great tax dodge.

You can extrapolate from the salary cap and known operating costs. But I would guess that since the Brown family competed the stock buyback in 2011, they have been able to put away ~$600 Million in profits.

Hold on to your hats for this.... A resent SI piece says Mike Brown PERSONALLY is worth $925 Million, and the Franchise is worth another $1.8 Billion. Off a $7 M investment in 1968 and the luck to come out of the right pair of gonads.

That means he's as wealthy as Facebook's Peter Theil and Sean Parker. Top 1000 in the world.

Do you think a guy with almost a Billion in the bank thinks YOU know what you're talking about? The Bengals have been wildly successful by his metrics. 

sure hope he hits a Billion before he dies so they can bury all that shit with him.

Today is our last scheduled interview. A lot of other stuff can happen (2nd interviews, new interviews, guys get hired elsewhere) but that is 8 guys who have been given a chance to be our headcoach. I think we can break them down into 3 fan categories. 

Let's go I'm excited

Monken, Bieniemy, Taylor

I'm Lukewarm but I can be talked into it, I'll ride the wave if he is good. 

Joseph, Simmons, Waldron

This is terrible and we hate this team

Jackson, Lazor

11 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Great post.  It would be interesting to see if they could actually sell 10% if the club though. That is a lot of money to invest in something you would have ZERO control over.  Also, they are not liquid shares so it may be way more difficult then you think. Rich people like control. 

From SI, sounds like Mikey is not even in the interviews.

One nugget to emerge from the Bengals search: Owner Mike Brown’s kids—daughter Katie Blackburn, son-in-law Troy Blackburn and son Paul—have increasingly become more involved in running the team. Or it at least it seems that way to guys going through there. Those four, and personnel chief Duke Tobin, are the ones in the room for the interviews

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Great post.  It would be interesting to see if they could actually sell 10% if the club though. That is a lot of money to invest in something you would have ZERO control over.  Also, they are not liquid shares so it may be way more difficult then you think. Rich people like control. 

It's an investment in a booming business. If you had invested in 2008ish, you would have doubled your money by now. Amazon doesn't allow me to set the price on USB cables, but I still buy their stock.

Alternately, split the shares until they're $25 a piece and let the fans buy a part of the club. (And invest in the NFL)

Facebook never turned a profit and managed to sell billions in shares... If the Bengals offered shares of the franchise with dividends, it would be a no-brainer buy.

100,000,000 / 25 = 4M shares

Assuming the low end of $60M a year profit, that still a dividend of $1.50. That's a 6% dividend yield! Qualcomm had a yield of 4.3% and that's VERY high. In addition, the NFL is a pretty low risk investment. TV contracts and labor agreements are in place for years at a time. And of course, as the value of club increases...

But the next time you hear that the Brown Family is barely scraping by and they NEED to be cheap... Mike Brown is a Billionaire who owns an almost $2 Billion sports franchise. That makes him one of the top 1,000 richest people in the world.

33 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

From SI, sounds like Mikey is not even in the interviews.

One nugget to emerge from the Bengals search: Owner Mike Brown’s kids—daughter Katie Blackburn, son-in-law Troy Blackburn and son Paul—have increasingly become more involved in running the team. Or it at least it seems that way to guys going through there. Those four, and personnel chief Duke Tobin, are the ones in the room for the interviews

The Shoney's early bird special only runs so long.

Archived