Who's the next HC?

5 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Zac Taylor may end up being the next Bill Walsh, but his resume is way too familiar and making me extremely uneasy:

35 year old white guy, ex NFL OC and/or WR coach, with no head coaching experience on any level.

Hasn’t that cross section yielded good coaches? Who are the ones that make you uneasy?

30 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Zac Taylor may end up being the next Bill Walsh, but his resume is way too familiar and making me extremely uneasy:

35 year old white guy, ex NFL OC and/or WR coach, with no head coaching experience on any level.

He’s thinking shades of Dave Shula.

21 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That is an awfully thin resume for a head coach in the NFL.   Interim Offensive Coordinator?  1 year as OC at UC? Years as a QB coach?

But he apparently likes Cincinnati & that may be the biggest deciding factor.  Too bad we can't draft a coach like we do players.  These guys actually get a say in the process so it's not necessarily "who is the best hire" so much as "who is willing to come clean this mess up?"

6 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

He interviewed with 2 other teams so it's not like this is out of left field. He's young but this group picked a hell of a good coach last time. If it is him. 

TBF, if he doesn't work out they can always fire him in 15 years

52 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That is an awfully thin resume for a head coach in the NFL.   Interim Offensive Coordinator?  1 year as OC at UC? Years as a QB coach?

Not as thin as the Browns choice. I think the Cardinals' choice was the worst. 

I think the difference between Zac and the Steakhouse guy is that ZAC actually had a modicum of success as an asst coach...

18 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Not as thin as the Browns choice. I think the Cardinals' choice was the worst. 

I think the difference between Zac and the Steakhouse guy is that ZAC actually had a modicum of success as an asst coach...

The Cardinals are out of their minds.  I think they chose him because he looks like Sean McVey. 

The Browns are the Browns. 

Now that the news has had time to sink in...

Zac Taylor COULD be the next coming of Dave Shula.... And I still love it.

There is absolutely NOTHING safe about this pick. Coaches are already being let go in preparation.

Considering that Mike Brown has almost always hired in house and preferred continuity even at times when we were going 4-12 every year, seeing the Bengals take a chance on a hot young name and immediately handing over the reigns? How long did Marvin have to wear Alexander and Brat around his neck like an anchor? Yet a long time guy in Hayes was let go before there's even ink on the paper.

Good decision or bad one, I like the decision making process. 

John Harbaugh’s resume didn’t look all that impressive when ravens picked him either. Special teams coach for the Eagles. Tomlin only had one year as a d-coordinator when picked. Just saying. 

No idea if he will be anywhere near as good as those two have been, but thin resume doesn’t bother me.

It’s progress that we are finally thinking outside the boxes. Not sure if it works out but I’m a Bengals fan and am glad it looks like Mikey might be finally on the outs. I give the new HC one year to see if Rifleman can be better with a non-conservative approach and go from there. 

1 hour ago, kriZENry said:

It’s progress that we are finally thinking outside the boxes. Not sure if it works out but I’m a Bengals fan and am glad it looks like Mikey might be finally on the outs. I give the new HC one year to see if Rifleman can be better with a non-conservative approach and go from there. 

It's def interesting.  I am convinced they (or at least Ol' Musty) had every intention of passing the reigns to Hue whenever Marvin decided to hang it up.  My impression is that sometime between redeeming him from Cleveland & the end of the season they realized how bad that looked & how much money they stood to lose by sticking with that plan. 

Sam Wyche’s resume was hella thin too before he was hired. 

Point is, either you have what it takes , or you don’t. I don’t think there is any one path to success as head coach. David Shula sucked because he was terrible, not because he had wrong experience. Wyche worked out because he absolutely had the creative flair and personality to succeed, none of which you could fairly see coming off of one year head coaching at IU and anonymous asst coaching in NFL for years before that (learning under Bill Walsh).

Taylor may be a disaster, but, he could also be quietly inspired. At least he isn’t Gase, or Hue, or Joseph, or some other warmed over more of the same coach. This team and org needs shock paddles. Taylor is at least that. And if he is an abject disaster, then maybe in two years when he is fired he gifts the new coach with the #1 pick in 2021 and we get the Clemson qb. But this is as interested as I have been as a bengals fan in a long time, in any event.

Archived