Who's the next HC?

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Dehner posted a picture that alluded to Dominos.

That could mean that a coach that we want to be the HC is waiting to hear from other teams and we aren't necessarily the first option. 

Here is where the guys interviewed.

Eric Bieniemy   Jets (1/2), Bucs (1/2), Dolphins (1/3), Bengals (1/5)
Zac Taylor   Broncos (1/3), Bengals (1/4), Cards (1/5)
Todd Monken   Packers (1/5), Bengals (1/7), Jets (1/8)

For Bieniemy he could be waiting to hear from the Dolphins (rumored Richard or Flores) or Broncos (rumored Munchack)

For Taylor he could be waiting to hear from the Broncos (rumored Munchack)

For Monken he could be waiting to hear from the Jets who he just interviewed with today (rumored McCarthy)

Joseph, Waldron, Simmons, Jackson, Lazor didn't interview with anyone. If they were at the top of the list we could hire them immediately. 

Monken just interviewed today. I wonder if it's not him. Curious at his staff. 

I agree with this completely.  I posted the same info on Cincy jungle about it being 2 possible options.

Option 1-the Bengals maybe waiting for a couple more teams to fill their positions while seeing whose available during the playoffs. Option 2-they won’t offer their main candidate the HC job just yet. Because that candidate could ask the other team that they had interviewed with, for more money/control. We all know most players/coaches will choose this organization as a secondary option or a non option. Like most free agents have done in the past

My son does a lot of Bengals writing online and claims to have made contacts with some degree of insider info. According to Da Guy, Bienemy is thier top choice. 

Are coaches for playoff teams off limits until they're done,  or can they interview coaches with Superbowl teams during the bye week?

4 minutes ago, Girevik said:

My son does a lot of Bengals writing online and claims to have made contacts with some degree of insider info. According to Da Guy, Bienemy is thier top choice. 

Are coaches for playoff teams off limits until they're done,  or can they interview coaches with Superbowl teams during the bye week?

He’s already interviewed with us.  

Im starting to think he’s the guy. And Childress or Stefanski is OC and Joseph is DC. 

And they are are just waiting on the Jets and Dolphins to choose so he has a clear picture of where he wants to go. 

35 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

He’s already interviewed with us.  

Im starting to think he’s the guy. And Childress or Stefanski is OC and Joseph is DC. 

And they are are just waiting on the Jets and Dolphins to choose so he has a clear picture of where he wants to go. 

I know he's interviewed,  that was just a general question.  Are teams allowed to have discussions with coaches of Superbowl teams during the bye week?

Also,  according to what my son is hearing the Dolphins aren't high on him,  but that's all irrelevant until the Chiefs are done and teams can talk to him again. 

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I believe he can sign a contract whenever now. 

NOTE: He can't until the end of season per Dehner. But he can basically announce it and start hiring. 

I could see where he might want to wait before making an official announcement so as to not be a distraction to the Chiefs while they are in the playoffs.

If they get eliminated this weekend which I doubt, I expect we will know soon after.

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You know, since we have the 32nd ranked defense and no defensive coordinator, that is definitely the route I would go. 

Alot of that comes from having to be on the field so much. I think Goodberry said it was the equivalent of like 5 games ro something like that. 

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You know, since we have the 32nd ranked defense and no defensive coordinator, that is definitely the route I would go. 

Once Marv took over weren't we like 16th or something like that?  Plus playing the Chiefs, Bucs and Saints back to back to back would be tough for any team.  Sure, that's an excuse, but it's also probably the toughest defensive stretch in the league for any team. That being said, out defense is still very bad at the moment and Geno and Carlos are another year older.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

Once Marv took over weren't we like 16th or something like that?  Plus playing the Chiefs, Bucs and Saints back to back to back would be tough for any team.  Sure, that's an excuse, but it's also probably the toughest defensive stretch in the league for any team. That being said, out defense is still very bad at the moment and Geno and Carlos are another year older.

I think 6th. 

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

QB coach Ken Zampese won’t be back on the Browns’ staff under Freddie Kitchens.

Of ffs at this rate and our luck as a fan base, MB will assemble a whole crew of former Bengal retreads:

HC:  Hue

OC:  Bobby Brat

QB: Kenny "Ok, *This* Time" Zampese

DC:  Chuck Bendsabutadoesntabreak

ST:  Darrin Simmons' Pale Shadow

OL:  Ketchup Boy Redux

TE,DT:  Super Hayes Bros 2

LB: Sad Bluto

DB: Kevin Coyle

RB: A Sealed Can of Jim Anderson's Farts

WR: Marvin Lewis Jr. Or Whatever TF His Name Is

Off the board update

Filled jobs 

• - Green Bay Packers: Hired Tennessee OC Matt LaFleur
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired former Cardinals coach Bruce Arians
  • - Arizona Cardinals: Hired former Texas Tech coach, Southern Cal OC Kliff Kingsbury 
  • -Cleveland Browns: Reports indicate Browns OC Freddie Kitchens got the job 
  • - Denver Broncos: Reports of Chicago DC Vic Fangio. 
  • - New York Jets: Reports of former Dolphins coach Adam Gase.  

Open jobs

• - Miami Dolphins: Reports of NE defensive coordinator Brian Flores emerging as top candidate. 

I think it's Bieniemy. Why

1. Ex Bengals ties

2. From a great offense

3. Dolphins and Bengals only two teams with openings left. Bieniemy only common interview. Dolphins interviewing their special teams coach Friday.

4. Dehner tweeted Dominos, I think he cryptically meant that either a) we have to wait until teams are done in the playoffs or b) Dolphins have to pick their team.

5. NFL Experience who can bring a great staff. 

That staff. My guesses (some of this was from an earlier thread)

Head Coach: Eric Bieniemy. Bieniemy coached at Minnesota and rose all the way to assistant head coach. Then moved on to Kansas City where he is Offensive Coordinator. Reid lauds his attention to detail and preparation. Maybe most importantly he has Bengals ties having played for the Bengals in the nineties for 3 years. 

Offensive Coordinator: Brad Childress. He just resigned from a position as a head coach in the AAFL. Childress has coached with Bieniemy at both Kansas City and Minnesota. It's also equally possible that the 62 year old is heading to KC to replace Bieniemy. https://www.chiefs.com/video/brad-childress-discusses-evolution-of-the-offense-19781069. If that is the case Chiefs QBs coach Mike Kafka, might be an option. He is highly thought of maybe as a potential future HC. The option I previously had was Darrel Bevell.  Bevell was the Offensive coordinator for the Vikings when Bieniemy was RBs coach and is currently unemployed after years as the OC in Minnesota and Seattle. From what I can tell he likes a balanced offense and a focus on the run. It’s not an overly inspiring choice but he has a long history as an OC and Bieniemy would certainly put his stamp on the offense. In the end I think a chance to be Offensive Coordinator for a guy he helped grow might outweigh going back to Andy Reid's shadow. 

Other options: Darrel Bevell, Mike Kafka, Hue Jackson

Defensive Coordinator: Vance Joseph. Joseph has ties to Bieniemy from Colorado and the AFC West. The 2 were teammates at Colorado in 1990. Obviously he coached in Cincinnati and is exceptionally well thought of by the front office. https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-notebook-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-knows-the-broncos-better-tha
Other options: Kris Richard, Mike Pettine, Jack Del Rio, Steve Wilkes, Todd Bowles, 

QBs Coach: Mark Whipple. Whipple was the Umass head coach last year but is known as a QB Guru. He was Big Bens QB his first few years. He coached under Childress in Cleveland when Childress was OC for a year. 

RBs Coach: Sherman Smith. Smith has been out of coaching for the last year but was Bevell’s RB coach in Seattle for years. He is from Youngstown and went to Miami of Ohio. He is the biological father of Bieniemy’s current RBs coach Deland McCullough.

WRs Coach: Karl Dorrell. Dorrell is the current Jets WR’s coach. He was the head coach at UCLA when Bieniemy was RBs coach. 

TEs Coach: Jimmie Johnson. Johnson is the current Jets TE’s coach. He was the TE’s coach at Minnesota when both Childress and Bieniemy were there. 

OL Coach: Frank Pollack. He has turned a very bad unit into an almost adequate unit and it will only get better with time and better players. 

DL Coach: Bill Kollar. Kollar is the current DL coach for the Broncos. 

LB Coach: Fred Pagac. Pagac is the current LB coach for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota

DB Coach: Joe Woods. Woods is the current Defensive Coordinator for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota. The 2 are reportedly close and he may be a candidate for the DC position as well. 

STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. Simmons stays as STs coordinator.

4 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think it's Bieniemy. Why

1. Ex Bengals ties

2. From a great offense

3. Dolphins and Bengals only two teams with openings left. Bieniemy only common interview. Dolphins interviewing their special teams coach Friday.

4. Dehner tweeted Dominos, I think he cryptically meant that either a) we have to wait until teams are done in the playoffs or b) Dolphins have to pick their team.

5. NFL Experience who can bring a great staff. 

That staff. My guesses (some of this was from an earlier thread)

Head Coach: Eric Bieniemy. Bieniemy coached at Minnesota and rose all the way to assistant head coach. Then moved on to Kansas City where he is Offensive Coordinator. Reid lauds his attention to detail and preparation. Maybe most importantly he has Bengals ties having played for the Bengals in the nineties for 3 years. 

Offensive Coordinator: Brad Childress. He just resigned from a position as a head coach in the AAFL. Childress has coached with Bieniemy at both Kansas City and Minnesota. It's also equally possible that the 62 year old is heading to KC to replace Bieniemy. https://www.chiefs.com/video/brad-childress-discusses-evolution-of-the-offense-19781069. If that is the case Chiefs QBs coach Mike Kafka, might be an option. He is highly thought of maybe as a potential future HC. The option I previously had was Darrel Bevell.  Bevell was the Offensive coordinator for the Vikings when Bieniemy was RBs coach and is currently unemployed after years as the OC in Minnesota and Seattle. From what I can tell he likes a balanced offense and a focus on the run. It’s not an overly inspiring choice but he has a long history as an OC and Bieniemy would certainly put his stamp on the offense. In the end I think a chance to be Offensive Coordinator for a guy he helped grow might outweigh going back to Andy Reid's shadow. 

Other options: Darrel Bevell, Mike Kafka, Hue Jackson

Defensive Coordinator: Vance Joseph. Joseph has ties to Bieniemy from Colorado and the AFC West. The 2 were teammates at Colorado in 1990. Obviously he coached in Cincinnati and is exceptionally well thought of by the front office. https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-notebook-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-knows-the-broncos-better-tha
Other options: Kris Richard, Mike Pettine, Jack Del Rio, Steve Wilkes, Todd Bowles, 

QBs Coach: Mark Whipple. Whipple was the Umass head coach last year but is known as a QB Guru. He was Big Bens QB his first few years. He coached under Childress in Cleveland when Childress was OC for a year. 

RBs Coach: Sherman Smith. Smith has been out of coaching for the last year but was Bevell’s RB coach in Seattle for years. He is from Youngstown and went to Miami of Ohio. He is the biological father of Bieniemy’s current RBs coach Deland McCullough.

WRs Coach: Karl Dorrell. Dorrell is the current Jets WR’s coach. He was the head coach at UCLA when Bieniemy was RBs coach. 

TEs Coach: Jimmie Johnson. Johnson is the current Jets TE’s coach. He was the TE’s coach at Minnesota when both Childress and Bieniemy were there. 

OL Coach: Frank Pollack. He has turned a very bad unit into an almost adequate unit and it will only get better with time and better players. 

DL Coach: Bill Kollar. Kollar is the current DL coach for the Broncos. 

LB Coach: Fred Pagac. Pagac is the current LB coach for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota

DB Coach: Joe Woods. Woods is the current Defensive Coordinator for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota. The 2 are reportedly close and he may be a candidate for the DC position as well. 

STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. Simmons stays as STs coordinator.

Extensive breakdown, nice work.

The only real question now is, will it be today or tomorrow?

Archived