Zac Taylor overview (1/4)

Some assistants he is connected to from Miami days

Joe Philbin (was HC and interim in Packers land this year)

Darren Rizzi (currently still STs coach and AHC)

Bill Lazor (Taylor took over for Lazor as OC)

Kevin Coyle (DC why he was the Qbs coach)

Mark Duffner (LB coach while he was Qbs Coach)

He has some tangential connection to Todd Bowles who could be a strong DC. 

Mike Sherman (Montreal Alouettes HC) is his father in law

The more I look at this tree the more I realize Dan Campbell could be HC with Taylor as OC potentially, and we are getting the stern organized disciplinarian the team needs and a stud OC. 

Some assistants he is connected to from Miami days

Joe Philbin (was HC and interim in Packers land this year)
Darren Rizzi (currently still STs coach and AHC)
Bill Lazor (Taylor took over for Lazor as OC)
Kevin Coyle (DC why he was the Qbs coach)
Mark Duffner (LB coach while he was Qbs Coach)

He has some tangential connection to Todd Bowles who could be a strong DC. 

Mike Sherman (Montreal Alouettes HC) is his father in law

The more I look at this tree the more I realize Dan Campbell could be HC with Taylor as OC potentially, and we are getting the stern organized disciplinarian the team needs and a stud OC. 

You say “stern disciplinarian.” I say “meat head.” Those guys don’t have staying power. The days of Bill Cowher and Tom Coughlin are behind us.

The easiest formula for success starts offensive minded HC. One of the Bengals problems over the last ten years has been the revolving door at OC. An offensive-minded HC solves that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If Taylor was with A&M from 2008-2012...  Wouldn't this be a guy that knows Andy Dalton well? Like, I was the assistant QB coach during your entire college career well?

Kinda shocked no one has mentioned that yet.

Because Andy was at TCU and they were rivals?

9 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If Taylor was with A&M from 2008-2012...  Wouldn't this be a guy that knows Andy Dalton well? Like, I was the assistant QB coach during your entire college career well?

Andy went to TCU 

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

So a guy with limited college offensive coordinator experience whose dad has been relegated to coaching  in the CFL is a serious contender? What could go wrong?

I addressed your points in the other thread. I hear you being your usual skeptic self, but there is no one path to a good (or bad) head coach. 

My posts in the other thread:

John Harbaugh’s resume didn’t look all that impressive when ravens picked him either. Special teams coach for the Eagles. Tomlin only had one year as a d-coordinator when picked. Just saying. 

No idea if he will be anywhere near as good as those two have been, but thin resume doesn’t bother me.

Sam Wyche’s resume was hella thin too before he was hired. 

Point is, either you have what it takes , or you don’t. I don’t think there is any one path to success as head coach. David Shula sucked because he was terrible, not because he had wrong experience. Wyche worked out because he absolutely had the creative flair and personality to succeed, none of which you could fairly see coming off of one year head coaching at IU and anonymous asst coaching in NFL for years before that (learning under Bill Walsh).

Taylor may be a disaster, but, he could also be quietly inspired. At least he isn’t Gase, or Hue, or Joseph, or some other warmed over more of the same coach. This team and org needs shock paddles. Taylor is at least that. And if he is an abject disaster, then maybe in two years when he is fired he gifts the new coach with the #1 pick in 2021 and we get the Clemson qb. But this is as interested as I have been as a bengals fan in a long time, in any event.

We all wanted Marvin gone....now the Bengals are being proactive and "planning" on hiring a young innovative coach, who has been around young, innovative, offensive minded coaches.  On top of that, we have a back who (I think) is just like Gurley.  They were able to optimize his skill set in L.A.  Plus we have a lights out receiver (for a couple more years) that he can utilize.  I think this choice is a great one.  It checks a majority of the boxes.

7 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Oops. My bad. All Texas Universities look the same to me.

#texasschoolsmatter 

11 minutes ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

We all wanted Marvin gone....now the Bengals are being proactive and "planning" on hiring a young innovative coach, who has been around young, innovative, offensive minded coaches.  On top of that, we have a back who (I think) is just like Gurley.  They were able to optimize his skill set in L.A.  Plus we have a lights out receiver (for a couple more years) that he can utilize.  I think this choice is a great one.  It checks a majority of the boxes.

yep.. I am fine with this..

better than some retread that has failed at other places...let's go!!!! 

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

8 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

Because Andy was at TCU and they were rivals?

8 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Andy went to TCU 

I wonder if he recruited Andy out of high school though?

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I wonder if he recruited Andy out of high school though?

First year assistants generally don't go on recruiting trips.

He's probably familiar with Dalton being part of a rival team, but that puts him behind just about any coach in the AFC North.

My brain fart...

Archived