Zac Taylor overview (1/4)

43 minutes ago, JC said:

lulz. Troy jealous.

Troy who?? BTW, I think this Tayor hiring, if true, is ridiculous.  Sure, he might end up being a great coach but nothing on his resume points to it.  Furthermore, the last couple of hires have been Lazor and Austin, both HORRIBLE fucking picks.   Sorry, I don't have any faith in this pick.  Hope he pans out but I have been over ridden by my CEO before on new hires only to watch the cute young chick flame out or bolt after 6 months. 

19 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Troy who?? BTW, I think this Tayor hiring, if true, is ridiculous.  Sure, he might end up being a great coach but nothing on his resume points to it.  Furthermore, the last couple of hires have been Lazor and Austin, both HORRIBLE fucking picks.   Sorry, I don't have any faith in this pick.  Hope he pans out but I have been over ridden by my CEO before on new hires only to watch the cute young chick flame out or bolt after 6 months. 

Probably Blackburn. Resumes are overrated and not the end all. Very impressive in his interviews I like more.

1 minute ago, schotzee said:

Probably Blackburn. Resumes are overrated and not the end all. Very impressive in his interviews I like more.

Well, I am sure Lazor, Austin and Jay Cutler were very impressive in their interviews as well.  At least Kliff Kingsbury has had to manage ALL of the moving parts of an entire team before in college. 

Taylor  has one year of OC experience at UC.  That is it.  At least Sean McVay was THE offensive coordinator for an actual NFL team for 3 years, he didn't share duties with Bill Lazor or another failed guy. 

It may work out but there is no reason to think it will.    This hire was made based on rainbows and unicorns.  Marvin Lewis had 6 excellent years at Baltimore and 1 at Washington as an NFL defensive coordinator.  This guy was in charge of the Quarterbacks, all 2 of them. 

28 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Well, I am sure Lazor, Austin and Jay Cutler were very impressive in their interviews as well.

My assumption is that the head coach gets to choose his staff here so Lazor and Austin we're Marvin guys.

All 3 of the main candidates have concerns. 

Taylor has only been an OC at the college level, never even an HC at that level, and doesn't call the plays in STL as the QB Coach. 

Waldren has never even been a coordinator at any level. 

Bienemy doesn't call the plays in KC and has only been an OC at Colorado. 

Of the 3 I prefer Bienemy because I think the connections he has with other coaches he could bring in to be OC and DC are better, but all 3 of these guys have things that are concerning. 

I guess we wait and see.

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Well, I am sure Lazor, Austin and Jay Cutler were very impressive in their interviews as well.  At least Kliff Kingsbury has had to manage ALL of the moving parts of an entire team before in college. 

Taylor  has one year of OC experience at UC.  That is it.  At least Sean McVay was THE offensive coordinator for an actual NFL team for 3 years, he didn't share duties with Bill Lazor or another failed guy. 

It may work out but there is no reason to think it will.    This hire was made based on rainbows and unicorns.  Marvin Lewis had 6 excellent years at Baltimore and 1 at Washington as an NFL defensive coordinator.  This guy was in charge of the Quarterbacks, all 2 of them. 

We have to have a young offensive mind though bc everybodies doing it. 🙂

28 minutes ago, SF2 said:

John Harbaugh sucked as a hire, then.

Tomlin as a hire then.

Wyche as a hire then.

Fact is, there is no sure way to hiring a good head coach. Taylor may be good. He may be terrible. He may be in between, but his resume probably doesn't give us any clue. He either has it or he doesn't. David Shula didn't have it. Sam Wyche did.

32 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You are sage, sir. One other non-discussed topic in all of this is: what about player relationship? These guys (the good ones anyway) have spent their entire careers with one foundational system. Like it or not, it is all they know here. ML was the constant and--good or bad--his and his coaches operations were a known...didn't have to re-learn everything from one year to the next. Now, throw in Boy Wonder and other bouncing babes-in-the-woods, and one can reasonably envision massive chaos--and the new hierarchy has no experience to draw from in order to lead everyone through it. Don't anyone say alarmist--this is simply logical. 

And, forgive me for even mentioning it as another concern: the team may go from one of the most racially diverse coaching staffs, to one of the least, in one fell swoop. Would it not be reasonable to assume that is going to be a large re-acclimation for the Bengal players? Just sayin'   

24 minutes ago, membengal said:

John Harbaugh sucked as a hire, then.

Tomlin as a hire then.

Wyche as a hire then.

Fact is, there is no sure way to hiring a good head coach. Taylor may be good. He may be terrible. He may be in between, but his resume probably doesn't give us any clue. He either has it or he doesn't. David Shula didn't have it. Sam Wyche did.

John Harbaugh had 10 years of NFL experience 9 of them running the Special teams at Philly and then the Dbacks.  Special teams is an actual group of 11 players you have to coach.  

Mike Tomlin was the defensive backs coach for 5 years at Tampa and was the ACTUAL DC at Minnesota for a year.  BTW, I don't think Tomlin was a great hire. 

Sam Wyche was a head coach in college albeit for only 1 year.  

David Shula hiring was a joke.

And I am sorry, his resume and experience should answer question #1:  Is he even remotely qualified?  That answer is no.

The second question is hopefully answered in an interview:  Does he have the demeanor to be an NFL coach?   You don't get to answer question 2 if you can't pass answer #1.  This is a billion dollar business and the Bengals are promoting Jimmy the mail clerk to be the head of marketing because he looks like Sean McVay.  McVay was an OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR for an NFL team for 3 years.   He is the reason Kirk Cousins got an $84 mil guaranteed contract.  This is a massive reach.

Getting the HC is just one step, the guy cannot change things alone. He will need his own staff, and it would help if they made Tobin the GM and added to the scouting staff as well. This change has to be top down and that would mean moving the tree sloth out of the way. 

I like the outside hire with some new coaches but I dont think it will be enough. Need more evidence of change in the top offices. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

...the Bengals are promoting Jimmy the mail clerk to be the head of marketing because he looks like Sean McVay.  

Pretty much what I'm thinking. 

Hopefully he can surround himself with great coaches and he DOES become the next Sean McVay. 

You are sage, sir. One other non-discussed topic in all of this is: what about player relationship? These guys (the good ones anyway) have spent their entire careers with one foundational system. Like it or not, it is all they know here. ML was the constant and--good or bad--his and his coaches operations were a known...didn't have to re-learn everything from one year to the next. Now, throw in Boy Wonder and other bouncing babes-in-the-woods, and one can reasonably envision massive chaos--and the new hierarchy has no experience to draw from in order to lead everyone through it. Don't anyone say alarmist--this is simply logical. 

And, forgive me for even mentioning it as another concern: the team may go from one of the most racially diverse coaching staffs, to one of the least, in one fell swoop. Would it not be reasonable to assume that is going to be a large re-acclimation for the Bengal players? Just sayin'   

That reads an awful lot like the case for an internal-ish hire.

No thanks.

First of all, I’m not sold that the Bengals are hiring Zac Taylor. This organization is as tight-lipped as they come. There are five people who know for certain what the Bengals are doing. Until one of them goes on the record, I’m skeptical.

If it is Taylor, OK. In today’s league, management and game planning take a back seat to communication and motivation. The thing that impressed me about Sean McVay is not the whiz bang offense he runs. Rather, it’s his energy and optimism.

If that’s rubbed off on Taylor, then I’m 100% down to give it a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

38 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

That reads an awful lot like the case for an internal-ish hire.

No thanks.

First of all, I’m not sold that the Bengals are hiring Zac Taylor. This organization is as tight-lipped as they come. There are five people who know for certain what the Bengals are doing. Until one of them goes on the record, I’m skeptical.

If it is Taylor, OK. In today’s league, management and game planning take a back seat to communication and motivation. The thing that impressed me about Sean McVay is not the whiz bang offense he runs. Rather, it’s his energy and optimism.

If that’s rubbed off on Taylor, then I’m 100% down to give it a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Nah, Alice..not pushing for internal hire. Doesn't really matter to me who they choose, or who chooses them. 

But I am less impressed with the "rub off" thing. People are their own personage--regardless of who they hang around. Some aspects may attach..but more of a "not a bad idea, I'll see if I can do that", than have it blend into one's DNA via osmosis. 

And, who really knows how Boy Wonder communicates/motivates? He isn't some well-known/long-time football coach--who by his very presence, everybody dances to his tune. Maybe he turns into one of those stern disciplinarian types in the photos above. Maybe he doesn't. Time will tell I reckon.     

Archived