Eric "Sleeping with the" Bieniemy interview (1/4)

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Beinemy HC

Jospeh DC

Hue OC

Of course that is if Beinemy is ok with having coaches that may not be his choices. You want a coach to be able to have his guys.

That is the big question, do these guys get to pick their own staff. A guy like Mike McCarthy is picking his own staff. Beinemy may not have that kind of bargaining power. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That is the big question, do these guys get to pick their own staff. A guy like Mike McCarthy is picking his own staff. Beinemy may not have that kind of bargaining power. 

I'd like to think if nothing else Beinemy would get some say in it though, nothing could be worst for this team that if we end up seeing what happened in Cleveland with Hue and Haley. I hope we don't repeat their mistake.

This was my ideal offseason coaching staff from another post. I would love other options on offense. 

Head Coach: Eric Bieniemy. Bieniemy coached at Minnesota and rose all the way to assistant head coach. Then moved on to Kansas City where he is Offensive Coordinator. Reid lauds his attention to detail and preparation. Maybe most importantly he has Bengals ties having played for the Bengals in the nineties for 3 years. 

Offensive Coordinator: Darrel Bevell.  Bevell was the Offensive coordinator for the Vikings when Bieniemy was RBs coach and is currently unemployed after years as the OC in Minnesota and Seattle. From what I can tell he likes a balanced offense and a focus on the run. It’s not an overly inspiring choice but he has a long history as an OC and Bieniemy would certainly put his stamp on the offense. 

Other options: Dirk Koetter, Bill Musgrave, Byron Leftwich, Hue Jackson

Defensive Coordinator: Vance Joseph. Joseph has ties to Bieniemy from Colorado and the AFC West. The 2 were teammates at Colorado in 1990. Obviously he coached in Cincinnati and is exceptionally well thought of by the front office. https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-notebook-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-knows-the-broncos-better-tha
Other options: Kris Richard, Mike Pettine, Jack Del Rio, Steve Wilkes, Todd Bowles, 

QBs Coach, AHC: Hue Jackson. This one was a struggle but I landed on Hue Jackson. I don’t think Hue gets another job in the league asap and Dalton has had some of his best years with Hue as an assistant on offense. Hue has coached QBs for the Ravens and Arizona State. 

RBs Coach: Sherman Smith. Smith has been out of coaching for the last year but was Bevell’s RB coach in Seattle for years. He is from Youngstown and went to Miami of Ohio. He is the biological father of Bieniemy’s current RBs coach Deland McCullough.

WRs Coach: Karl Dorrell. Dorrell is the current Jets WR’s coach. He was the head coach at UCLA when Bieniemy was RBs coach. 

TEs Coach: Jimmie Johnson. Johnson is the current Jets TE’s coach. He was the TE’s coach at Minnesota when both Bevell and Bieniemy were there. 

OL Coach: Frank Pollack. He has turned a very bad unit into an almost adequate unit and it will only get better with time and better players. 

DL Coach: Bill Kollar. Kollar is the current DL coach for the Broncos. 

LB Coach: Fred Pagac. Pagac is the current LB coach for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota

DB Coach: Joe Woods. Woods is the current Defensive Coordinator for the Broncos and coached with Bieniemy in Minnesota. The 2 are reportedly close (see article above) and he may be a candidate for the DC position as well. 

STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. Simmons stays as STs coordinator. 

46 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Beinemy HC

Jospeh DC

Hue OC

Of course that is if Beinemy is ok with having coaches that may not be his choices. You want a coach to be able to have his guys.

Why are we assuming this is the case?

I understand the thinking that MB would want these guys, but Marvin was allowed to pick his full staff. According to Lapham, even Alexander was supposed to be let go, but Marvin’s replacement (Mike Maser) took another job. 

Why hire Eric Bieniemy (or any offensive coach) and have them run Hue’s offense? What sense does that make? Not even MB is that dumb. We’re gonna hire the guy who coordinated KC’s offense, but he’s going to run the old Bengals/Hue offense. 

Why even interview him then? He’d never take the job in a million years. I doubt MB wants to waste the money on a flight to KC for that. Same thing with guys like Taylor. 

If youre gonna run Hue’s offense or Vance’s defense, just hire those guys for head coach.  

13 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Why are we assuming this is the case?

I understand the thinking that MB would want these guys, but Marvin was allowed to pick his full staff. According to Lapham, even Alexander was supposed to be let go, but Marvin’s replacement (Mike Maser) took another job. 

Why hire Eric Bieniemy (or any offensive coach) and have them run Hue’s offense? What sense does that make? Not even MB is that dumb. We’re gonna hire the guy who coordinated KC’s offense, but he’s going to run the old Bengals/Hue offense. 

Why even interview him then? He’d never take the job in a million years. I doubt MB wants to waste the money on a flight to KC for that. Same thing with guys like Taylor. 

If youre gonna run Hue’s offense or Vance’s defense, just hire those guys for head coach.  

What you are saying makes sense for Hue. But Vance and Bieniemy both went to Colorado and were on the team together there. Bieniemy is friends with Joseph's DC in Denver in Joe Woods from their time together in Minnesota. A Chiefs stamp on the offense and a Broncos stamp on the defense seems probable. (If we got Bieniemy)

11 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

What you are saying makes sense for Hue. But Vance and Bieniemy both went to Colorado and were on the team together there. Bieniemy is friends with Joseph's DC in Denver in Joe Woods from their time together in Minnesota. A Chiefs stamp on the offense and a Broncos stamp on the defense seems probable. (If we got Bieniemy)

That’s fine if that’s what the new coach wants. But the Hue stuff makes zero sense. We’re gonna hire an offensive minded coach and give him someone else’s offense to run. Not going to happen. 

If MB does decide to hire an external candidate, there’s no evidence to show he’s going to force a staff on him. He didn’t do that with Marvin. 

2 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

That’s fine if that’s what the new coach wants. But the Hue stuff makes zero sense. We’re gonna hire an offensive minded coach and give him someone else’s offense to run. Not going to happen. 

If MB does decide to hire an external candidate, there’s no evidence to show he’s going to force a staff on him. He didn’t do that with Marvin. 

It is rare for a head coach to run the O or D though, not saying it never happens, but how many guys who do it are successful at it? 

The reason I threw Jospeh's name in there at DC was that I read an article saying we might not be interviewing him for head coach. So I just kind of threw Hue's name in there. 

Some OC thoughts. 

There are 2 trees of coaching that Bieniemy has been a part of, the Vikings (2006-2010) and the Chiefs (2013-Present)

The Vikings tree is pretty clear.

Darrell Bevell: Was his Coordinator in Minnesota for all 5 seasons and he is currently unemployed. Bevell was the OC in Seattle for 5 seasons before getting fired and sitting out last year. Definitely an option, has rumors in Atlanta where the job likely goes to Koetter. 

The Chiefs tree is winding.

Andy Reid and KC: No one who could really take over is on staff right now. Lots of life long position coaches and Mike Kafka as the QBs coach who is likely the new OC should Bieniemy leave. Greg Lewis is the WRs coach. He has been a WRs coach for his entire career. Might be able to move up. 

Doug Pederson and the Eagles: This one is a mess. There are 2-3 options that may come from here and possibly none. A reminder of the timeline. Last year McDaniels took the Colts job and then backed away. John DeFelippo not knowing that the OC job would be available took the OC job in Minnesota. Frank Reich moved on to Indianapolis. DeFelippo was already gone and Mike Groh was promoted. DeFelippo has since been fired and is available. The Eagles offense dropped off a bit in 2018. It's possible Pederson wanted DeFelippo the entire time but timing didn't work out. Clouding things more Press Taylor, Zach Taylor's brother is the QBs coach in Philly. He may get an OC job if Zach gets a head coach job. If he doesn't he is probably a great candidate for the OC spot. 

Matt Nagy and the Bears & Frank Reich of the Colts:No one of note

22 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Bieniemy is a Good Guy.  He got me tickets and field passes when I went to the Bengals/KC game this year, and came over and said hi to my wife.  She's a Huge KC fan.  I thought that was really cool!

That’s good and all but can he be a good head coach for this club??

23 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Bieniemy is a Good Guy.  He got me tickets and field passes when I went to the Bengals/KC game this year, and came over and said hi to my wife.  She's a Huge KC fan.  I thought that was really cool!

Well crap, Kenny likes him, now I don't want him.

:ninja:

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I worry about what happens with Bienemy after he gets out from under Andy Reid.

how much input did Bienemy actually have....did he just run what Reid told him to?

Hes known for being detail oriented. He was named the AHC in Minnie as well. 

Learned a little more about his situation in KC. He is a first year OC that doesn’t call plays. I’m not saying he can’t or won’t be a good HC, but other than the “fact” that other Reid disciples are doing well now, what is the love for him? What has HE done that makes you want him?

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

Learned a little more about his situation in KC. He is a first year OC that doesn’t call plays. I’m not saying he can’t or won’t be a good HC, but other than the “fact” that other Reid disciples are doing well now, what is the love for him? What has HE done that makes you want him?

Like I have said with him and Vance, I just don’t know enough about them to have an educated opinion. I think Vance got screwed in Denver so that seems to be a bad data point to me.  I guess I want the guy with 2 years of HC experience if they were the last 2 choices. 

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

He doesn't call plays but does the game planning. Nagy was a first year OC as well. Reich didn't call plays in Philly. I have read quite a bit about how Reid thinks about him. I will see if I can find it. I definitely get your concern but I think he will be good. 

Archived