Report: Hue Jackson a possibility for offensive coordinator in Minnesota

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/02/report-hue-jackson-a-possibility-for-offensive-coordinator-in-minnesota/

Report: Hue Jackson a possibility for offensive coordinator in Minnesota
Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2019, 2:37 PM EST

Hue Jackson has failed twice as a head coach. But he is still capable of doing a good job as a coordinator.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer knows this, and consequently Jackson is a candidate to run the offense in Minnesota.

That’s the word from Jason La Canfora of CBS, who says that a reunion between the two former Bengals assistants is “possible.”

Kevin Stefanski, who served as interim offensive coordinator after the firing of John DeFilippo, has become a free agent, and he’s also a candidate to coach the Browns. So the Vikings need to figure out the most important position on the staff, other than head coach.

Jackson makes sense because he runs an offense similar to the one that Jay Gruden ran in Cincinnati and now runs in Washington, an offense with which Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins is familiar.

9 minutes ago, HOF dan said:
please Zim, take Hugh from us!!!!

One has to think if Hue’s general trajectory is to be an OC somewhere, he won’t be the HC here. We are already hearing of too many names we are open to courting for HC. I don’t think Hue gets the top gig here, and if he doesn’t, I don’t foresee him being our OC either.

I smell change in the air. If the guy for the job was already in the building, I think the trigger would have been pulled. We did things a lot differently in terms of personnel this season, many still were skeptical Marvin would be gone, almost nobody saw it coming first thing Monday morning.

I think the plummet in season season ticket holders from last season to this one combined with the collapse and the EVIDENTLY empty stadium in the latter half of the season was impactful on the Brown family. They also know we don’t need an entire rebuild and they need to get this train back on the tracks ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Will never get this Zimmer worship. Or this Hue hate. 

Well, as far as Zimmer worship I think I speak for a few of us in that Zimmer did a couple of things that few if any other Bengals coach has done in recent memory:  he brought a hard-line, total accountability approach, promised improvement when it was needed - and executed it successfully.  Add to that his players loved him despite his crusty exterior, and I think you have what a football coach "should" be in a lot of fans's eyes.

I agree that the Hue hate is probably overboard in general, but taking him on as head coach is just illogical.  He's had zero success despite a lot of big talk and big moves.  He is definitely one of the most successful OC's this team has had and the players do love him, but he has simply shown nothing as a head coach.  Did he get a raw deal in Oakland and Cleveland?  Yeah, probably.  But making bets that he just needs "the right situation" is not something most fans are willing to stomach.  If the Bengals are going to take a risk it might as well be with someone new who is coming from a winning environment.

And yes I agree it is a very high possibility that MB goes with the cheapest option yet again.  Even if he doesn't, if the incoming coach doesn't win the fans will apply at least the requisite amount of hate incumbent on an NFL fan base.

OK. Salient thoughts. 

I was musing, with a chuckle, this weird premise that the stadium seats will continue to empty, should MB choose some coach who is "too close to the franchise". Like the average John Q who might be considering spending a lot of money on season tickets is actually going to base it on whether the new HC is Hue Jackson or some other team's passing game coordinator? Or the game day walk-up spectator, who is there because he just has to see Kevin Stefanski? 

Having been in all of the stadiums before and after firings/hirings over the years, the seat population needle didn't move--whether it was David Shula (before he was David Shula) or Marvin Lewis (before he was Marvin Lewis). 

50 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK. Salient thoughts. 

I was musing, with a chuckle, this weird premise that the stadium seats will continue to empty, should MB choose some coach who is "too close to the franchise". Like the average John Q who might be considering spending a lot of money on season tickets is actually going to base it on whether the new HC is Hue Jackson or some other team's passing game coordinator? Or the game day walk-up spectator, who is there because he just has to see Kevin Stefanski? 

Having been in all of the stadiums before and after firings/hirings over the years, the seat population needle didn't move--whether it was David Shula (before he was David Shula) or Marvin Lewis (before he was Marvin Lewis). 

The needle doesn’t move if the fans don’t know the new coach very well and doesn’t have a shit track record. In fact it might move it the other direction particularly if you draft the Heisman winning can’t miss QB the same year. 

Hiring Hue is not the same thing. 

11 hours ago, VonBlade said:

Hopefully Hue goes tomorrow, is so instantly shithouse they fire Zim, and we get Zim back to where he belongs.

Imagine this group with his no bs coaching style. Fuck yeah.

Then Marvin to HC the vikings.

9 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Well, as far as Zimmer worship I think I speak for a few of us in that Zimmer did a couple of things that few if any other Bengals coach has done in recent memory:  he brought a hard-line, total accountability approach, promised improvement when it was needed - and executed it successfully.  Add to that his players loved him despite his crusty exterior, and I think you have what a football coach "should" be in a lot of fans's eyes.

I agree that the Hue hate is probably overboard in general, but taking him on as head coach is just illogical.  He's had zero success despite a lot of big talk and big moves.  He is definitely one of the most successful OC's this team has had and the players do love him, but he has simply shown nothing as a head coach.  Did he get a raw deal in Oakland and Cleveland?  Yeah, probably.  But making bets that he just needs "the right situation" is not something most fans are willing to stomach.  If the Bengals are going to take a risk it might as well be with someone new who is coming from a winning environment.

And yes I agree it is a very high possibility that MB goes with the cheapest option yet again.  Even if he doesn't, if the incoming coach doesn't win the fans will apply at least the requisite amount of hate incumbent on an NFL fan base.

Couldn't agree more with this. I think that's the recipe for success......now we just have to find it.

As far as Hugh goes, I liked him a lot here as the coordinator and thought Cleveland made a smart move in hiring him. I know he was placed in a totally dysfunctional situation there but it revealed his limitations. I live in Canton and get Brown's coverage out the wazoo (and it's pretty annoying right now....if they only had better special teams they would be in the playoffs.....blah....blah....blah - but i digress). Having listened to his press conferences and watched him up close, he never seemed to be a strong leader. He was wishy washy and almost goofy in his reaction to any adversity. This is why I'm terrified that MB would hire him as a head coach. As a coordinator, yeah - ok - maybe but NEVER as the leader of a team cause he just ain't one.

10 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Not sure about Oakland, but no way did Hue get a raw deal in Cleveland.  By all reports Hue had plenty of input on draft picks, so he doesn't get a pass there.  The way the team turned around as soon as Hue left the building and the shade thrown by his ex-players says all you need to know.  Hue was part of the problem with meltdowns in the locker room.  Jackson may have a good football mind, but his leadership abilities are highly dubious.  Cleveland obviously wasn't as bad as they were playing for Hue Jackson.  He blew as a HC and only a fool would give him another chance.

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

The needle doesn’t move if the fans don’t know the new coach very well and doesn’t have a shit track record. In fact it might move it the other direction particularly if you draft the Heisman winning can’t miss QB the same year. 

Hiring Hue is not the same thing. 

You missed the point: forget Hue and insert the who-the-hell-is-this-guy passing game coordinator. Is average John Q going to race down and buy season tickets in anxious anticipation? 

The Quitter being #1 overall did not have an immediate effect on people in the seats. Again, being there, I didn't see much change one way or the other until the following year. 

The difference was negligible to the negative pre and post David Shula 1992-1993. 

So, to head off one of your cherry-pick stat or opinion piece, let's just say that the average fan will no more buy tickets in anticipation of any coach this side of someone who is already known and successful. If/when winning starts, then they may return--although with the product quality of the NFL, even that is a dubious prospect. 

33 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You missed the point: forget Hue and insert the who-the-hell-is-this-guy passing game coordinator. Is average John Q going to race down and buy season tickets in anxious anticipation? 

The Quitter being #1 overall did not have an immediate effect on people in the seats. Again, being there, I didn't see much change one way or the other until the following year. 

The difference was negligible to the negative pre and post David Shula 1992-1993. 

So, to head off one of your cherry-pick stat or opinion piece, let's just say that the average fan will no more buy tickets in anticipation of any coach this side of someone who is already known and successful. If/when winning starts, then they may return--although with the product quality of the NFL, even that is a dubious prospect. 

Umm, I agreed with you except in the case of Hue Jackson. I am not cherry picking anything. Just pointing out that you are right, most choices won’t matter EXCEPT that one.  It will be a media shit show if that happens. 

And there was buzz created by Carson Palmer being drafted but you are probably right, any uptick in ticket sales would have been very minor at best coming off a 2-14 season. 

Hue is about done in the NFL, as he should be. Pretty easy to see that he is getting zero interest/calls/interviews from any teams about any position. The Vikings haven't even made an official call, just media speculation. 

Hue was the "Special Assistant to the head coach". Who is no longer here. And a new HC from outside will laugh Hue and his "title" right out the front door like "You're no special assistant of mine, later!!"

42 minutes ago, Meow said:

Hue is about done in the NFL, as he should be. Pretty easy to see that he is getting zero interest/calls/interviews from any teams about any position. The Vikings haven't even made an official call, just media speculation. 

Hue was the "Special Assistant to the head coach". Who is no longer here. And a new HC from outside will laugh Hue and his "title" right out the front door like "You're no special assistant of mine, later!!"

Assuming Ol' Musty allows that to happen.  Marvin was saddled with Assistant Head Coach & Ketchup Coordinator Paul Alexander for 15 years.  I wouldn't assume a new HC is going to immediately have powers that were withheld from the last guy for over a decade.

Archived