Old Sexual Assault Charges Against Vance Joseph

Bengals head coach candidate Vance Joseph faced sex assault allegations in Colorado

Cameron Knight, Cincinnati EnquirerPublished 3:05 p.m. ET Jan. 2, 2019 | Updated 3:10 p.m. ET Jan. 2, 2019

One of the candidates reportedly being considered to replace Marvin Lewis faced sexual assault allegations more than 15 years ago.  

Vance Joseph, fired Monday by the Denver Broncos after back-to-back losing seasons, will be interviewed by the Bengals on Thursday and Friday, according to reports.

The sexual assault allegations are from his time at the University of Colorado working as an assistant coach. 

Joseph was disciplined by the school for having inappropriate sexual relationships with two female athletic trainers in 2003, which qualified as sexual harassment under CU policy, as reported by USA TODAY. He served a suspension from his coaching duties in 2004, then left for a job at Bowling Green.

Joseph later worked for the NFL's Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers, Bengals and Miami Dolphins before taking the job in Denver.

The trainers said he crawled into their beds naked while they were sleeping and touched them, according to a police report.

Joseph was never interviewed by law enforcement or charged with a crime. Neither woman pressed charges.  

"That was resolved a long time ago. For myself, for my family, for the Denver Broncos, I’m disappointed and embarrassed," Joseph wrote in a statement published by the Denver Post after he was hired as the Broncos' head coach in January 2017. "I was a young guy and it showed to my immaturity and irresponsibility in my life when I was younger. But I’ve grown so much and that’s why I’m disappointed because I’ve grown so much as a person, as a coach, as a father, as a husband."

Joseph, now 46, was in his early 30s at the time the accusations were made.

Joseph worked for the Bengals as defensive backs coach in 2014 and 2015. In January 2017, after he was hired as the Broncos' head coach, the Boulder Daily Camera published information about the sexual assault allegations based on police reports.

The Broncos said they investigated the allegations prior to hiring Joseph. 

The Bengals did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

Had no clue about this, and find it ironic that it wasn't mentioned when he was hired by the Broncos.

My wife actually told me about this last night.

He has had multiple jobs in league since this happened, so I do not see it as an issue.

7 hours ago, ChicagoBengal said:

This story has been floating around for quite some time.  I don't recall if it came back to the surface before he landed the Denver gig or during.  Anyway, sounded legit.

Funny how it's news as soon as he might maybe be the next Bengals HC.  Not at all excusing whatever he allegedly did but you gotta love the timing.

40 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Funny how it's news as soon as he might maybe be the next Bengals HC.  Not at all excusing whatever he allegedly did but you gotta love the timing.

ESPN in 3 days:  “In a classic Bengals move the team hires a coach of questionable character. Film at 11. “

34 minutes ago, SF2 said:

ESPN in 3 days:  “In a classic Bengals move the team hires a coach of questionable character. Film at 11. “

Also ESPN:  "Can we induct Ben Rapistburger into the HoF now or do we still have to wait? Here's an hour-long Ben Rapistburger clip show where we try to fit his balls entirely in our own mouths!"

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It came up when he took the Denver job. So it's a bit of "asked and answered" and a bit of "will it matter 'post-metoo'"?

Basically, he said he did some dumb stuff when he was younger and has grown as a person since then. It wasn't national news because that kind of thing wasn't big national news back then. Heck, I've seen more articles about Woody Allen in the last year than I did wen he was accused.

It's an issue now because "times have changed" and some reporter is running this up the flagpole for clicks.

As far as "no charges", you can look at how many people stayed silent about Cosby until one person finally stepped forward. It WAS reported to University officials which is why it's a matter of record, and being 20 years ago they probably assured them they'd handle it "in house" and if you could please just not embarrass the University and especially the athletic department that'd be great. SOP for the time.

And as... Sketchy... As his behavior was, it was hardly rape. The women said "Get your naked ass out of my bed and back in yours" and he did. Obviously had a very high opinion of himself back in the day, but he didn't hold anyone down or threaten them. If it had happened last week, I'd be concerned. At this point it's more of "It hasn't happened twice and it's been 20ish years".

Archived