2019 Draft Talk

Almost draft season with deadline to declare coming soon and combine next month.

Who do you like with the 11th pick?

I could see a new coach wanting a QB. Drew Lock, Haskins and Daniel Jones all make sense at 11. I'd be thrilled with some new blood at the position. I like Dalton but he hasn't put us over the top.

Another possibility is OL. The #1 guy is Jonah Williams. He'll probably be long gone. I think Dalton Risner would make a ton of sense at 11. Can play a number of OL spots at a high level.

LB seems like a popular pick in the mocks. Arguably the biggest need. Not really a huge fan of a LB that high though. Mack Wilson and Devin White are the guys going in that range to us.

Corner wouldn't surprise me. Kirk sucks and Dennard is hitting free agency. Lots of talent at corner in the draft. Greedy Williams from LSU and Deandre Baker are guys going in that area in mocks.

The draft is very deep at DL. Not a huge need here but if a top guy drops I'd pull the trigger. DT Quinnen Williams may end up going top 3 but if he slips some I'd be all over him. DE Josh Allen and Clelin Ferrell are other guys I'd like at 11.

if they hire a young offensive minded coach, I can't imagine that he won't want to get his own QB to build around.......if one of Lock/Jones is still sitting there, it's tough to see them not pulling the trigger.

let him sit for a year behind Dalton, build up the o-line during that time, and then turn him loose in 2020..

Carolina guy here... Daniel Jones is absolutely, positively NOT a starting NFL quarterback.

I’ve been covering him for local TV since he showed up at Duke. Ryan Finley (from NC State) is an exponentially better prospect, and even he’s not a world beater.

Even the biggest Duke fans would look at you crazy if you suggested Jones Might be a first round pick.

Finley, on the other hand... lol. NC State fans really believe he might be the first player taken.

This quarterback class stinks. Haskins is the clear #1 and there it’s unlikely he falls anywhere near Cincinnati at 11.

If the Bengals ARE looking for a quarterback, they should be hoping for a couple things...

1. Bruce Arians to be hired by TB. If Arians takes that gig, it’ll be - in large part - because he feels like he can fix Jameis Winston.

2. Someone falls in love with Nick Foles.

3. John Elway is too proud to admit that Case Keenum was a bad idea.

If those things happen, then there’s a tiny chance Haskins - or whomever else the Bengals think is the #1 QB - falls to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

I've done zero research on the QB class so far....I just mentioned Jones because he's getting first round consideration from a few sites I follow.
personally, I've never even seen the kid play. 

I’m convinced Drew Lock and Dwayne Haskins will be the first two guys off the board. I’ve seen enough of Lock to think he’s alright.

Haskins could be great, but he’s really not ready yet. He had the best group of receivers in the country and they made him look a little better than he is. Falling into a good system with great coaches is critical for him. A lot of his college production came via wide open receivers. He’s going to have to learn to deliver the ball into tight windows.

People are down on Will Grier. I like him. Not a huge arm, but good enough. 11 is way too high.

The guy to keep an eye on through this process is Clayton Thorson from Northwestern. He’s a big guy with great wheels and a big arm. The numbers just aren’t there. And he threw way too many picks.

Ryan Finley is probably the most NFL ready, and could start early. There’s just no star upside. He can’t move and his arm is average at best. He is accurate, and he’s been in college for six years, so he’s about as polished as a guy can be.

Daniel Jones’ problem is accuracy - especially outside the hashes. He’s low with a lot of his throws. The scouting reports boost him up and say he didn’t have great weapons around him. That’s an overstatement. He had T.J. Rahming, who’ll probably make somebody’s roster next year. He constantly turns receivers around or just skips it to them. The plus for Jones is that he’s played for David Cutcliffe. That dude is a legit quarterback whisperer.

Here's a little thought exercise we had at the lunch table at work last year about draft time (I'll modify a bit for the Bengals).

The Bengals pick 11.  When the Bengals pick comes around there are no LBs worth looking at. There are several CBs, a QB, maybe a TE and a few DLs that are available worthy of pick 11. However, all by himself is tackle (we will call him Hue G O'Lineman cuz he's Irish) that is there but he is slotted to go maybe in the mid 20s or at the latest the very top of round 2. The Bengals try to trade down but can not find any takers. There is no way he will last to the 11th pick in the 2nd round and we all know Mike Brown will not trade up. Do you take him or do you grab a better player at another position and hope you can get someone almost as good in the later rounds.

I say you take him but thats' just me.  :)

Here's a little thought exercise we had at the lunch table at work last year about draft time (I'll modify a bit for the Bengals).

The Bengals pick 11.  When the Bengals pick comes around there are no LBs worth looking at. There are several CBs, a QB, maybe a TE and a few DLs that are available worthy of pick 11. However, all by himself is tackle (we will call him Hue G O'Lineman cuz he's Irish) that is there but he is slotted to go maybe in the mid 20s or at the latest the very top of round 2. The Bengals try to trade down but can not find any takers. There is no way he will last to the 11th pick in the 2nd round and we all know Mike Brown will not trade up. Do you take him or do you grab a better player at another position and hope you can get someone almost as good in the later rounds.

I say you take him but thats' just me. 

A tackle slotted at “mid 20s” isn’t a slam dunk. Reaching like that usually comes back to bite you.

I wouldn’t do it, and I know beyond any shadow of any doubt that the Bengals wouldn’t. That just ain’t the way they roll.

3 hours ago, Big Alice said:

A tackle slotted at “mid 20s” isn’t a slam dunk. 

A first overall pick isn't a slam dunk, either.  If they aren't willing to spend the money on a quality OT in free agency that leaves the draft.  Don't want to reach for a position of need? Time to stop idling 50 mil under the cap.  Or you roll into another season on a roster held together with duct tape, making noises about being "competitive". 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

A first overall pick isn't a slam dunk, either.  If they aren't willing to spend the money on a quality OT in free agency that leaves the draft.  Don't want to reach for a position of need? Time to stop idling 50 mil under the cap.  Or you roll into another season on a roster held together with duct tape, making noises about being "competitive". 

agreed but just how many quality tackles actually hit free agency (other than Whit - ugh)? We were pretty dam lucky to get Glenn last year in the trade. I hope Gupp's theory doesn't come to pass but have a bad feeling it may work out that way......shades of Keith Rivers.

9 hours ago, gupps said:

we all know Mike Brown will not trade up

No exactly so.

We know that they did that to draft KY-Jelly Carter and who can say how his career would have been if he had not slipped and blew out his knee

the third time he touched the ball in pre season?

Seems like they traded up for someone in the second or third round recently, too.

I think MikeandKatie would do something spectacular like that to plug some holes in the sinking fan base ship.

Especially with a new coach, give him a change rather than entering the season with Marvin rejects like Nickerson, Core, S. Williams.

Heaven knows they will have their annual boat load of comp picks and I would like to see them parlay that into something other

than camp fodder and practice squad bodies.  Why not trade the number 11 and a 3rd round pick to move up a few and FINALLY

take a linebacker who will not be the next first round linebacker named Keith Rivers?

Maybe think of it this way... the 11th pick plus whatever comp pick they get for Ogbulei to move up and take a quality player.

It would virtually be like trading Ogbuhei for a a linebacker named Mack or Devin, in a way.

JMHO but I would not be surprised to see them trade up.  Not into Bosa Land, but top 6ish.

And do NOT take a freakin' quarterback or whiz bang, can't miss wide receiver.

O line in round 2.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

No exactly so.

We know that they did that to draft KY-Jelly Carter and who can say how his career would have been if he had not slipped and blew out his knee

the third time he touched the ball in pre season?

Seems like they traded up for someone in the second or third round recently, too.

I think MikeandKatie would do something spectacular like that to plug some holes in the sinking fan base ship.

Especially with a new coach, give him a change rather than entering the season with Marvin rejects like Nickerson, Core, S. Williams.

Heaven knows they will have their annual boat load of comp picks and I would like to see them parlay that into something other

than camp fodder and practice squad bodies.  Why not trade the number 11 and a 3rd round pick to move up a few and FINALLY

take a linebacker who will not be the next first round linebacker named Keith Rivers?

Maybe think of it this way... the 11th pick plus whatever comp pick they get for Ogbulei to move up and take a quality player.

It would virtually be like trading Ogbuhei for a a linebacker named Mack or Devin, in a way.

JMHO but I would not be surprised to see them trade up.  Not into Bosa Land, but top 6ish.

And do NOT take a freakin' quarterback or whiz bang, can't miss wide receiver.

O line in round 2.

Trading up to pick up a linebacker is not exactly making a splash for the fan base IMHO. The only splash position is QB and as many have pointed out there just isn’t a great one out there. That said I don’t have a problem doing if for a stud linebacker.  They are typically around 60% of ever defensive play.

We used a 9 on Rivers and Ross so the lesson is don’t pick anyone at 9 whose last name starts with an R.

14 hours ago, Big Alice said:

Haskins could be great, but he’s really not ready yet. He had the best group of receivers in the country and they made him look a little better than he is. Falling into a good system with great coaches is critical for him. A lot of his college production came via wide open receivers. He’s going to have to learn to deliver the ball into tight windows.

I guess I should have clarified, I haven't done research on QB's OTHER than Haskins....as a 35 year Buckeye die hard, I'm well aware of what Haskins is all about.

we'll have no shot at him unless we trade up....once teams really get to know what kind of kid he is and see that arm and accuracy in person, they're going to fall in love. 

he'll go top 5 when it's all said and done with a real possibility of him and Bosa being the first two picks of the entire draft. 

16 hours ago, Big Alice said:

I’m convinced Drew Lock and Dwayne Haskins will be the first two guys off the board. I’ve seen enough of Lock to think he’s alright.

People are down on Will Grier. I like him. Not a huge arm, but good enough. 11 is way too high.

The guy to keep an eye on through this process is Clayton Thorson from Northwestern. He’s a big guy with great wheels and a big arm. The numbers just aren’t there. And he threw way too many picks.

Ryan Finley is probably the most NFL ready, and could start early. There’s just no star upside. He can’t move and his arm is average at best. He is accurate, and he’s been in college for six years, so he’s about as polished as a guy can be.

Daniel Jones’ problem is accuracy - especially outside the hashes. He’s low with a lot of his throws. The scouting reports boost him up and say he didn’t have great weapons around him. That’s an overstatement. He had T.J. Rahming, who’ll probably make somebody’s roster next year. He constantly turns receivers around or just skips it to them. The plus for Jones is that he’s played for David Cutcliffe. That dude is a legit quarterback whisperer.

I love Grier.As a Mountaineer fan I've watched every game he's played in,and the kid is flat out a gunslinger.I disagree at eleven,if he's there and you want him you take him.I also believe that you're going to see his stock rise as the draft approaches and teams and draft gurus start taking a closer look at him.For what it's worth,here's PFF taking a look at him.

15 hours ago, gupps said:

I say you take him but thats' just me.  :)

If the available QB is Haskins, you take him. Otherwise you take another position. If you can't trade down, you skip the tackle in round 1 and trade up from round 2. 

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

... the 11th pick plus whatever comp pick they get for Ogbulei to move up...

...and just what team is going to sign Ogbuehi to a contract and give him enough playing time to warrant a comp pick?

I haven't seen a lot of Lock.  I know his production dipped this year, but don't know enough about Missouri to know why.  Haskins may need a year to develop, but his upside is sky high.  But the only way Haskins makes it to 11 is if a dead body or pound of cocaine is found in his closet.  And we have enough significant needs that I'm not giving up what we would need to get Haskins.

My list right now is Jonah Williams, Devin White, Dexter Lawrence, and Ed Oliver (who I don't think makes it either).

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I haven't seen a lot of Lock.  I know his production dipped this year, but don't know enough about Missouri to know why.  Haskins may need a year to develop, but his upside is sky high.  But the only way Haskins makes it to 11 is if a dead body or pound of cocaine is found in his closet.  And we have enough significant needs that I'm not giving up what we would need to get Haskins.

My list right now is Jonah Williams, Devin White, Dexter Lawrence, and Ed Oliver (who I don't think makes it either).

I'll work on acquiring the body and cocaine if you can ship it

Archived