2019 Draft Talk

17 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

True that many high-end MLB draftees never make it to the big leagues. But, if they do, there is no way NFL money can compare to MLB--and without the physical beating. If Manny Machado and Bryce Harper are going to perhaps go in the 10-year $350 million area, how in the hell is the NFL going to compete with that? And Murray has a 5-tool range in his baseball skills--a much desired commodity.    

Because in baseball, unless they change the mold for murray it takes forever to get paid. Arod is making 33 million a year which is very close to that 35 mil being floated for those players.  Nfl is more attractive because he will be able to make 40 million in his first 5 years and most if not all will be guaranteed, granted he would have to be drafted top 15 or so to make that money and be worth the 5th year option.  Mlb cant compete with that.

4 minutes ago, Mikey6866 said:

Because in baseball, unless they change the mold for murray it takes forever to get paid. Arod is making 33 million a year which is very close to that 35 mil being floated for those players.  Nfl is more attractive because he will be able to make 40 million in his first 5 years and most if not all will be guaranteed, granted he would have to be drafted top 15 or so to make that money and be worth the 5th year option.  Mlb cant compete with that.

Plus the NFL doesn't suck like MLB. 

To give u an example that puts this in contrast.

Gerritt Cole was #1 overall pick in mlb draft and got 9 mil to sign.  After his first 5 years in league he made 11 million which is mainly his 9 million signing bonus.  He has played 2 seasons since then for 9 mil and he still has another arb year this year before he can get paid next year.  So he esentially is gonna play 8 years at a high level and make about 30 mil total or so before he can cash in for the big money.  In 8 years in nfl if murray goes at say 10 and becomes a good nfl qb he will probably be over 100 mil in salary at his 8th year.  He has a much better chance at getting a lot more money by choosing nfl.

If you can be a starting QB in the NFL then financially that's the way to go. I'm not convinced Murray is a starting NFL QB. I think he's more like a Taysom Hill (#7 NO Saints) type guy. Are the injuries and concussions worth it? This isn't like the John Elway decision from the early 80s. He's a gadget player in the NFL IMO.

2 hours ago, Girevik said:

Oaklahoma lists Murray at 5' 10", 195 lbs, and college listings tend to be generous.  No way do I use a first rounder on a QB that small. 

Someone will.  Fletcher Page thinks he's gone before we pick anyway.

I just looked at 6-7 early mock drafts & all but one had us taking Devin White.

Terrible idea. I've watched about 30 seconds of NCAA highlights and if we draft this guy Godell will suspend him before he gets offstage. 

The one other mock had us trading down for an OT, which sounds much smarter/safer.   

Even better would be someone is still on the board that we didn't expect to have a shot at & we draft whoever that is regardless of position.  That's what I'd be hoping for at #11.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I just looked at 6-7 early mock drafts & all but one had us taking Devin White.

Terrible idea. I've watched about 30 seconds of NCAA highlights and if we draft this guy Godell will suspend him before he gets offstage. 

The one other mock had us trading down for an OT, which sounds much smarter/safer.   

Even better would be someone is still on the board that we didn't expect to have a shot at & we draft whoever that is regardless of position.  That's what I'd be hoping for at #11.

Devin White is a great player. One ridiculous targeting penalty in college for a guy who  led the SEC in tackles is hardly Vontaze Burfict’s college resume. 

Guy has a great reputation, he isn’t going to go undrafted and become the league’s nut sack hitting ankle twisting poster boy for bad behavior. 

Besides, if we don’t take him the Stealers probably will. 

16 hours ago, kysuperstar99 said:

I think they need to pursue Nick Foles in FA and let Dalton go. Draft a QB in the later rounds. Keep Driscoll for a backup unless the QB drafted shows promise. We could keep a QB on the practice squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

I agree, with the exception of keeping Driskell.

I'd give up our 2nd rounder for him, and some of those comp picks.

Say what you want about Foles, but he is tough, very streaky, stronger arm than Dalton, and has that "it" factor when post season arrives.

His streakinest is fine with me because Mixon can take over games if needed.

I will also go on record and say that if Frank Reicht was still the OC there, Philly would be in NFC championship again

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Devin White is a great player. One ridiculous targeting penalty in college for a guy who  led the SEC in tackles is hardly Vontaze Burfict’s college resume. 

Guy has a great reputation, he isn’t going to go undrafted and become the league’s nut sack hitting ankle twisting poster boy for bad behavior. 

The PFF mock Jamie posted has the Squeels doing exactly that.

We take a big huggy bear OT, difficult to fault that

and the Squeels take Devin White and turn him into Ryan Shezier on steroids.

Maybe literally.

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

Count the NFL flags yourself. I didn't even know about the targeting penalty but this shit is not going to fly here.  Pittsburgh, well that's just old-fashioned etc etc, their entire defense is built on headhunting so it's w/e.  His career can end like Shazier, too.  This isn't about Burfict but nice b8 m8 I r8 8/8.  Honestly I don't see defense as a Top 10 pick regardless, not with how the games are called these days.  Maybe for another 100%-the-next-Deion but def not DL/LB. 

Anyway better a QB than this guy. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Count the NFL flags yourself. I didn't even know about the targeting penalty but this shit is not going to fly here.  Pittsburgh, well that's just old-fashioned etc etc, their entire defense is built on headhunting so it's w/e.  His career can end like Shazier, too.  This isn't about Burfict but nice b8 m8 I r8 8/8.  Honestly I don't see defense as a Top 10 pick regardless, not with how the games are called these days.  Maybe for another 100%-the-next-Deion but def not DL/LB. 

Anyway better a QB than this guy. 

Thanks for the highlight reel of a guy making perfectly legal tackles.  Your tin foil hat act is getting old. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Thanks for the highlight reel of a guy making perfectly legal tackles.  Your tin foil hat act is getting old. 

It's not an "act".  Acting is like when you think you know what you're talking about.  :D  U just hate the team & get off on that shit

:grin-min:

1425_3.jpg

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It's not an "act".  Acting is like when you think you know what you're talking about.  :D  U just hate the team & get off on that shit

:grin-min:

1425_3.jpg

So obviously the league hates the Stealers as well after the phantom pass interference play cost them a victory and playoff birth against the Saints. 

I dont hate the team, I just don’t make excuses up for them, particularly in the case of Burfict.  He is being treated the way he should be.  He has become a part time player and embarrassment for the club because he can’t quit lowering his head to make hits. Everyone else seems to have figured it out. 

Acting as if White would be treated the same just because the league has it out for the Bengals is ludicrous. Clay Matthews has fined 7 times for various late or excessive hits.  The only difference his he wasn't grabbing people's nuts or twisting their ankles. 

If I'm the new HC...

It's a weak class at QB. And Andy Dalton is serviceable.

I'm going to want to upgrade the O-Line. RG and RT. I want a real backup center. I'll worry about a new QB when he won't be behind Bobby "QB Killer" Hart.

LB's HAVE to be upgraded. However, if there's any position that has a short shelf life, it's LB's. And the more reckless they play, the shorter the sell-by date. Size... Speed... Blah... If the guy isn't a good technician, he's going to get hurt.

TE's - We need at least one.

Outside of that, you roll with what you got. I would be happy with taking 5 linemen, 3 LB's and 2 TE's.

31 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If I'm the new HC...

It's a weak class at QB. And Andy Dalton is serviceable.

I'm going to want to upgrade the O-Line. RG and RT. I want a real backup center. I'll worry about a new QB when he won't be behind Bobby "QB Killer" Hart.

LB's HAVE to be upgraded. However, if there's any position that has a short shelf life, it's LB's. And the more reckless they play, the shorter the sell-by date. Size... Speed... Blah... If the guy isn't a good technician, he's going to get hurt.

TE's - We need at least one.

Outside of that, you roll with what you got. I would be happy with taking 5 linemen, 3 LB's and 2 TE's.

Best tackle or LB at 11.  If we have to move down, so be it. 

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Acting as if White would be treated the same just because the league has it out for the Bengals is ludicrous. 

Except nobody said that. You brought up Burfict.  Again. You kind of do that a lot.

I'm not sure why you think ankle-twisting cup checks, eye-gouging, elbow and knee drops & so on are some rare horrible thing and not part of the NFL game since the beginning, but I'm not here to convince you otherwise. You see what you want to see & ooh scary Burfict etc. That's fine. Goodell's NFL is made for you. Enjoy!

The other factor is - if the coach is good at evaluating QB's then he only needs to find that 'one guy' he likes and it may or may not be in a perceived strong or weak QB class. I had little faith we could draft and develop a good young QB - although the Dalton pick and McCarron pick were both very good value for where they were picked. 

We have heard that Beavell (sp) was someone on the Hawks who really scouted and pounded the table for Wilson; same with one of the scouts on KC with Mahomes. That is what you need - good trusted eyes at that position where they stand on the soapbox and say they really want this particular guy. 

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Except nobody said that. You brought up Burfict.  Again. You kind of do that a lot.

I'm not sure why you think ankle-twisting cup checks, eye-gouging, elbow and knee drops & so on are some rare horrible thing and not part of the NFL game since the beginning, but I'm not here to convince you otherwise. You see what you want to see & ooh scary Burfict etc. That's fine. Goodell's NFL is made for you. Enjoy!

Sorry, you implied the league would target him for flags which everyone knows was an indirect reference to Burfict’s propensity to get flagged.  I don’t see scary Burfict, I see a guy who missed at least the first 3 games of the last 4 seasons because he can’t play within the rules.  A guy that has missed 34 games in the last 5 years. A guy who keeps giving himself concussions. Scary is not the word I would use. 

Now you are justifying Burfict’s behavior because back in the old days, everybody did it?  It isn’t the old days. There are cameras everywhere. Every play can be reviewed by the league office per the players’ agreed to CBA. Everyone used to take drugs and do steroids too. It’s 2019, not 1969. 

If if you hate the product and think there is a conspiracy to shit on the Bengals why are you a fan?  

On 1/15/2019 at 11:36 PM, SF2 said:

Its laughable.  Burfict earned his reputation.  He is responsible for the target he has.  No one, absolutely no one, is out to get the fucking Bengals.  Its amazing how many people talk themselves into horseshit to alleviate responsibility from themselves and others they align with.  Take Devin White all day at 11.  

6 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Its laughable.  Burfict earned his reputation.  He is responsible for the target he has.  No one, absolutely no one, is out to get the fucking Bengals.  Its amazing how many people talk themselves into horseshit to alleviate responsibility from themselves and others they align with.  Take Devin White all day at 11.  

Face it.  The Bengals ranged between suck and mediocre for the last decade and a half. Before that, they had maybe two seasons since i have been alive that they were relevant.  Thats why they are not taken seriously.  If you suck in a world where the whole idea is to not suck, you are going to get shit on.  Deal with it.  Maybe Zac T turns that perception around.  Its going to take more than some mediocre one and done season thats for damn sure.  Nobody is out to get the fucking Bengals.  They have gotten themselves.  

Cincinnati Bengals: Uncertainty for Linebacker Unit

7 OF 32

Also known as...........

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict
Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze BurfictFrank Victores/Associated Press

The Bengals allowed the most yards in 2018. Amid the defensive breakdowns, former head coach Marvin Lewis fired play-caller Teryl Austin in November. The unit didn't show much improvement, though.

The team has two established commodities on the defensive line in Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins; both signed new multiyear deals last year. The secondary will have two starting-caliber cornerbacks, Dre Kirkpatrick and William Jackson. Safeties Shawn Williams and Jessie Bates combined for eight interceptions this season. The linebacker unit is the eyesore of the defense.

The Bengals signed linebacker Preston Brown to a one-year deal last March, and it's unclear if he'll re-sign, coming off a seven-game season marred by a knee injury. Unfortunately, repeated concussions have put linebacker Vontaze Burfict's career in jeopardy, per ESPN's Katherine Terrell (h/t colleague Adam Schefter).

Fortunately for the Bengals, the front office won't have to scramble for new faces. Jordan Evans, who started nine games in two seasons, and rookie third-rounder Malik Jefferson will likely have the first shots at filling potential voids. If they don't pan out, veteran talents may have to solidify those spots.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:26 PM, Jason said:

Someone will.  Fletcher Page thinks he's gone before we pick anyway.

I hope so

On 1/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, High School Harry said:

The PFF mock Jamie posted has the Squeels doing exactly that.

We take a big huggy bear OT, difficult to fault that

and the Squeels take Devin White and turn him into Ryan Shezier on steroids.

Maybe literally.

Strong upper body, trouble with the legs? 

Archived