2019 Draft Talk

14 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Aww you make it sound as though we should be trading up.   

Nope. Not at all actually.

I'm just saying the kid is going to be a lot better than people think he will....mostly because the league will protect him at all costs. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Umm, I don’t remember us trading down in the 2015 draft. I may be wrong. 

We trade down a few slots if the 2 better OTs or Devin White are off the board.  We really don’t have much of a choice, we must draft OT or LB. The right side of the line was bad and neither of our tackles are long term solutions. 

Right just referencing how we took two tackles early in that draft.

As active armchair GM, that is my proposal for the upcoming draft. Deal that #11 and get two first round lineman. 

18 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Right just referencing how we took two tackles early in that draft.

As active armchair GM, that is my proposal for the upcoming draft. Deal that #11 and get two first round lineman. 

Drafting Tackles in this league is as hit and miss as QBs. Plenty of 1st and 2nd round busts.  LB is a safer pick I think.  First priority has to be OT though. 

How about trading Andy and our 1st to a team picking before us for a higher draft pick (top 5?) and a decent OT or Linebacker, taking Haskins?

Hate throwing a rooking in from the git go but it would fill some seats.

Maybe trade Andy and our 1st to move up and get a higher draft pick and their 2nd rounder?

Andy and our not bad first round pick for a higher first and second. For Haskins.

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

Drafting Tackles in this league is as hit and miss QBs. Plenty of 1st and 2nd round busts.  LB is a safer pick I think.  First priority has to be OT though. 

I don't know that LB would be a safer pick. Do the names Keith Rivers, Alfred Williams, Joe Kelly and Ricky Hunley mean anything to you?

Joe Kelly was a helluva player--one of the LB mainstays in '88 behind a pint-sized defensive line. Alfred Williams was a DE asked to be a cover LB. Once he was allowed to put his hand on the ground, he was oftentimes a terror. Keith Rivers was a solid LB--I have never understood the hate for the guy. Ricky Hunley was the best at his position coming out of school--that he was a dick, and had a dick agent (as many did in the early '80's) doesn't take away from his skills that were known. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Joe Kelly was a helluva player--one of the LB mainstays in '88 behind a pint-sized defensive line. Alfred Williams was a DE asked to be a cover LB. Once he was allowed to put his hand on the ground, he was oftentimes a terror. Keith Rivers was a solid LB--I have never understood the hate for the guy. Ricky Hunley was the best at his position coming out of school--that he was a dick, and had a dick agent (as many did in the early '80's) doesn't take away from his skills that were known. 

No kidding.   Rivers was coming on well until he got hurt.  Kelly played in 156 NFL games so he had a damn good career.  Williams was an All-Pro defensive end in Denver and played in over 120 games.  Only missed 1 game in 4 years as a Bengal.  Ricky Hunley never signed with us so went to Denver, he was Ok. 

All of these players contributed far more than Fisher and Ogbuehi ever will.   Hell, if he wants to play this game he should have chosen Pollack and Odell Thurman.  Both were damn fine players BTW but couldn't stay on the field.  The big difference is these two were GOOD players when they played but injury and Goodell needing a poster child cut their careers short.  

Fisher and Ogbuehi are not good players.  Obhuehi is one of the worst 1st round picks at tackle in the last 7 years.  He and DJ Humphries (picked 3 spots later) have been terrible.  Cedric's play is sometimes astounding and unfathomable for a 1st rounder in his 4th year.  Seriously, I have seen plays where I have to think he is deaf and blind. 

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

RE: Rivers, for the 9th overall pick I think everyone expected him to be more of an impact player.  He wasn't bad by an means but for that high of a pick I'd hope for more of a difference-maker at that position. 

21 hours ago, SF2 said:

No kidding.   Rivers was coming on well until he got hurt.  Kelly played in 156 NFL games so he had a damn good career.  Williams was an All-Pro defensive end in Denver and played in over 120 games.  Only missed 1 game in 4 years as a Bengal.  Ricky Hunley never signed with us so went to Denver, he was Ok. 

All of these players contributed far more than Fisher and Ogbuehi ever will.   Hell, if he wants to play this game he should have chosen Pollack and Odell Thurman.  Both were damn fine players BTW but couldn't stay on the field.  The big difference is these two were GOOD players when they played but injury and Goodell needing a poster child cut their careers short.  

Fisher and Ogbuehi are not good players.  Obhuehi is one of the worst 1st round picks at tackle in the last 7 years.  He and DJ Humphries (picked 3 spots later) have been terrible.  Cedric's play is sometimes astounding and unfathomable for a 1st rounder in his 4th year.  Seriously, I have seen plays where I have to think he is deaf and blind. 

When I originally researched this, I was thinking Pollack and Thurman but Pollack was listed as a DE and Thurman was a 2nd round pick. 

What about this 6'7 qb in the senior bowl?  Man I like I like 

I'm liking the kid from Penn State too. Was a tough sob against UK in the bowl game and looking good now. 

Jones from Duke looking good too. All guys we could pick up late to compete for Driskels spot. 

Isabella from UMass. Yo draft that kid

I think Glenn is the only OT signed through next season?  Unfortunately even ppl like WalterFootball have this as a weak OT draft.  Some high-rated guys entering FA from other teams, most of them are likely to be retained but we've got nothing & signing 3 free agent OT's doesn't sound like a good plan.  Redmond & Hopkins are also FA's.  Even mid/late round draft picks have to be a better option than extending any of those guys.

I wouldn't hate a QB in the first round but I would hate to see him thrown to the wolves.  How well would AD take to the Kitna role?

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think Glenn is the only OT signed through next season?  Unfortunately even ppl like WalterFootball have this as a weak OT draft.  Some high-rated guys entering FA from other teams, most of them are likely to be retained but we've got nothing & signing 3 free agent OT's doesn't sound like a good plan.  Redmond & Hopkins are also FA's.  Even mid/late round draft picks have to be a better option than extending any of those guys.

I wouldn't hate a QB in the first round but I would hate to see him thrown to the wolves.  How well would AD take to the Kitna role?

AD would take to whatever roll they need. 

No way they are taking a QB first round. Too much of a drop off after Murray and Haskins. A whole slew of guys who are decent they can get round 2 to 4. 

Like sf2 said QBs a crap shoot. Roll of the dice. Minshew or Conley are a couple I'd love to roll the dice with.  See if we can find our Russell Wilson in the 4th. 

The 6'7 250 dude could be worth a gamble. Could be our own big Ben coming out of the MAC. 

19 hours ago, Shebengal said:

When I originally researched this, I was thinking Pollack and Thurman but Pollack was listed as a DE and Thurman was a 2nd round pick. 

Both were good when on the field but they didn’t play long for sure.  Rivers did not live up to his draft slot but he wasn’t an utter bust.  The same was said of Big Daddy and Justin Smith.  Big Daddy had a good career but was never the difference maker.  Smith had some great years in San Fran.  My point is although some of these guys were not worth their draft slot, they were capable NFL starters.  You simply can not put Cedric Obhuehi on the field for any reason other to pick up the kicking tee after kick offs. 

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You simply can not put Cedric Obhuehi on the field for any reason other to pick up the kicking tee after kick offs. 

I'm SO stealing that.

As far as the draft, I wouldn't consider drafting anything other then OL or LB until after rounds 3 or 4. If we  pull the equivalent of the Walton pick this year I'll freaking scream. Still can't figure out why we drafted him.

9 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

AD would take to whatever roll they need. 

No way they are taking a QB first round. Too much of a drop off after Murray and Haskins. A whole slew of guys who are decent they can get round 2 to 4. 

Like sf2 said QBs a crap shoot. Roll of the dice. Minshew or Conley are a couple I'd love to roll the dice with.  See if we can find our Russell Wilson in the 4th. 

The 6'7 250 dude could be worth a gamble. Could be our own big Ben coming out of the MAC. 

I'm picturing a scenario where one of those 2 guys falls to #11 & there's not a better deal to trade down.  

Other than that, every draft pick is rolling the dice, from first overall to the 7th round comp picks.  The odds hopefully get better towards the top of the draft but the risk is always there. More so if you're trying to get by on the smallest scouting department in the NFL combined with assistant coaches you publicly fired months ago.  Not exactly a recipe for draft success but them's the breaks for now.  Can't really expect this organization to handle such a major transition without getting their dicks caught in the zipper at some point.

One Pro Bowl-caliber player and 2-3 decent starters would be a good draft IMO.

And, unless Tobin is singularly the supremo talent evaluator you have to hope he is, the bottom line will fall to just pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey mode. All of the franchise's erstwhile talent evaluators have been cashiered--leaving just untested Boy Wonder, equal NFL newcomers, old coordinators with no bearings on the franchise, and the Owner/family, in the War Room.

?.....

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

And, unless Tobin is singularly the supremo talent evaluator you have to hope he is, the bottom line will fall to just pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey mode. All of the franchise's erstwhile talent evaluators have been cashiered--leaving just untested Boy Wonder, equal NFL newcomers, old coordinators with no bearings on the franchise, and the Owner/family, in the War Room.

?.....

tenor.gif

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm picturing a scenario where one of those 2 guys falls to #11 & there's not a better deal to trade down.  

Other than that, every draft pick is rolling the dice, from first overall to the 7th round comp picks.  The odds hopefully get better towards the top of the draft but the risk is always there. More so if you're trying to get by on the smallest scouting department in the NFL combined with assistant coaches you publicly fired months ago.  Not exactly a recipe for draft success but them's the breaks for now.  Can't really expect this organization to handle such a major transition without getting their dicks caught in the zipper at some point.

One Pro Bowl-caliber player and 2-3 decent starters would be a good draft IMO.

Do you mean is not a better deal to trade down because Murray and Haskins are so much better than the rest? 

Cause I see some good deals.  The Raiders with 3 picks from 24 to 35.  

Possibly trade down with the dolphins if they are thirsty enough. Our first for their first and second. Same with Washington. Our first for their first and second. 

1 hour ago, Catfish Bob said:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/29/john-elways-quarterback-crush-could-shake-up-nfl-draft/amp/

I'm thinking Washington, green bay, Detroit, Miami, new England, Oakland and pittspuke could all be looking to draft a QB in first two rounds.

Is this the same Elway that drafted Paxton Lynch in the 1st round and paid him $8.3mil to start 4 games in two years? Released him after 2 and is now a 24 year old FA?  Please take him! None of these QBs would be much better than Dalton. 

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Is this the same Elway that drafted Paxton Lynch in the 1st round and paid him $8.3mil to start 4 games in two years? Released him after 2 and is now a 24 year old FA?  Please take him! None of these QBs would be much better than Dalton. 

How do we know that?  I thought the knock on Dalton was that he couldn't win "big" games?  If that's the case, anyone with the QB skills to get drafted should be a potential upgrade.  All they have to do is not get the yips in "big" games. 

Archived