2019 Draft Talk

On 1/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, akiliMVP said:

Almost draft season with deadline to declare coming soon and combine next month.

Who do you like with the 11th pick?

I could see a new coach wanting a QB. Drew Lock, Haskins and Daniel Jones all make sense at 11. I'd be thrilled with some new blood at the position. I like Dalton but he hasn't put us over the top.

Another possibility is OL. The #1 guy is Jonah Williams. He'll probably be long gone. I think Dalton Risner would make a ton of sense at 11. Can play a number of OL spots at a high level.

LB seems like a popular pick in the mocks. Arguably the biggest need. Not really a huge fan of a LB that high though. Mack Wilson and Devin White are the guys going in that range to us.

Corner wouldn't surprise me. Kirk sucks and Dennard is hitting free agency. Lots of talent at corner in the draft. Greedy Williams from LSU and Deandre Baker are guys going in that area in mocks.

The draft is very deep at DL. Not a huge need here but if a top guy drops I'd pull the trigger. DT Quinnen Williams may end up going top 3 but if he slips some I'd be all over him. DE Josh Allen and Clelin Ferrell are other guys I'd like at 11.

I can tell, just by the way you post, that you like boys.

Bengals Starters From 2018 That Need To Be Replaced With No Discernable Replacement On The Roster

Alex Redmond

Bobby Hart

Nick Vigil

Vontaze Burfict

Preston Brown

Bengals Starters From 2018 That Should Be Replaced With A Potential Replacement On The Roster

Michael Johnson

Dre Kirkpatrick

Bengals Starters From 2018 That Could Be Upgraded 

Andrew Billings

Shawn Williams

Andy Dalton

Whoever Our Tight End Is

OT and LB have to be the priority. I don't love Andy Dalton and I don't hate Andy Dalton but, I'm not sure you can prioirtize his replacement with so many other pieces, including depth, that need to be addressed. This QB class scares me and I think teams are looking for the next dose of lightning in a bottle dangled that Mayfield, Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson have made a reality over the past few years. I think this is going to be more of a Marcus Mariota/Jameis Winston kind of class. A lot promise and not the results. QB would be a sexy pick in the 1st round but, not neccessarily the right one. I'm currently firmly in the Jonah Williams/Devin White camp at this point in time.

Who is the on roster replacement for Dre Kirkpatrick?  I'd say Westerman is a replacement option for Redmond. 

IMO we need to sign a couple of high profile free agents plus some lower profile guys and we'll be ok going into the draft and not locked into a particular position. Say we sign Juwaun James and KJ Wright as the high profile guys, re-sign Dennard and Uzomah and add TE Jesse James. That would free up the draft. In this scenario, I'd be trying to trade up high enough to get Haskins.

47 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Who is the on roster replacement for Dre Kirkpatrick?  I'd say Westerman is a replacement option for Redmond. 

IMO we need to sign a couple of high profile free agents plus some lower profile guys and we'll be ok going into the draft and not locked into a particular position. Say we sign Juwaun James and KJ Wright as the high profile guys, re-sign Dennard and Uzomah and add TE Jesse James. That would free up the draft. In this scenario, I'd be trying to trade up high enough to get Haskins.

Although he's the slot CB, I think Dennard is simply better than Kirkpatrick in every way. I realize he's a UFA so not technically on the roster. I also liked what I saw from Darius Phillips in a small sample size. I will buy what you're selling on Westerman, again in a small sample size, and it would be great if he can "be the guy".

I agree with the need to be much more active in free agency. Too many holes to fill through the draft and a roster good enough to be successful now with the right upgrades. I like both Wright and Ja'Wuan James. At TE, I'd be OK with the Bengals resigning Kroft and Uzomah and moving on. That's why I put the position at the bottom of the totem pole although, they currently have no viable options signed to play TE.

Archived