2019 Draft Talk

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

With that mock, the Bengals had better be ready to sign big (and in bulk) in FA.  Gotta add a starting OT and probably a reserve they can bring along).  LB is a must in the top half of their draft (probably a solid one in FA as well) at the very least and an upgrade at DT over Billings/next to Geno would be nice.  I'd like to see somebody that could push Williams at safety.  Got a feeling they resign Kroft, Uzomah & possibly even Eifert @ TE and there are always decent journeymen for depth out there in FA.

Haskins would be tempting, but can't see it as a viable gamble unless they trade Dalton for a pick for Andy, then bring in a veteran QB to mentor/compete with Haskins.  

29 minutes ago, snarkster said:

With that mock, the Bengals had better be ready to sign big (and in bulk) in FA.  Gotta add a starting OT and probably a reserve they can bring along).  LB is a must in the top half of their draft (probably a solid one in FA as well) at the very least and an upgrade at DT over Billings/next to Geno would be nice.  I'd like to see somebody that could push Williams at safety.  Got a feeling they resign Kroft, Uzomah & possibly even Eifert and there are always decent journeymen for depth out there in FA.

Haskins would be tempting, but can't see it as a viable gamble unless they trade Dalton for a pick for Andy, then bring in a veteran QB to mentor/compete with Haskins.  

My acquisition priorities this year would be:

1. a starting OT (L or R) and a very solid reserve [1 pick/1 FA]

2. 2 LBs preferably both starting quality [1 pick/1 FA

3. a big DT capable of starting (what kind of DT is dependent upon the DC's system) [Pick more likely than FA]

4. a tarting quality interior OL [pick or FA]

5. a starting quality CB if Dennard is not retained &/or Dre is let go [likely a pick]

6. a  SS to push Williams [likely a pick]

7. TE, but not necessarily a starter [FA or pick]

8. QB. a mid-round pick or journeyman FA to back Andy unless Dalton is dealt

9. PK to challenge Fat Randy [5th Rd. to CFA]

10. RB a target of opportunity for depth [pick]

11.. WR a speedy project whose workload builds over three years [pick unless there's a FA Taylor knows/likes on the market]

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

With that mock, the Bengals had better be ready to sign big (and in bulk) in FA.  Gotta add a starting OT and probably a reserve they can bring along).  LB is a must in the top half of their draft (probably a solid one in FA as well) at the very least and an upgrade at DT over Billings/next to Geno would be nice.  I'd like to see somebody that could push Williams at safety.  Got a feeling they resign Kroft, Uzomah & possibly even Eifert @ TE and there are always decent journeymen for depth out there in FA.

We have never ever signed big in FA.  Never.  Our biggest FA signing in the last 10 years was Pac Man, a guy nobody would touch with a 10 foot pole.  After than it is probably Cordy Glenn, a guy who couldn't even hold Andrew Whitworth's jock.  20 of 22 starters last year were originally picked by the Bengals or picked up as UDFAs.  At best we pick up a few below average starters and backups during FA.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I hate Fanspeak mocks.  Way too unrealistic.  Haskins won't get past the Giants and Jags.  Not going to happen.

How did we get pick 36, aren't we at 42?

J: how's come you don't write for Deepfrieddraft? Yours are better thought out, and at least we know who you are. 

Kiper

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/18/18229412/nfl-mock-draft-2019-mel-kiper-projection-bengals-cardinals-49ers-jets-lsu

Devin White, ILB, LSU

New coach Zac Taylor still doesn’t have a defensive coordinator, so this is a tough pick to project. I’m sticking to my best-player-available philosophy here, as White is the No. 4 prospect on my board. He is the best inside linebacker in this class, a three-down player with excellent speed and athleticism and the ability to diagnose plays and get to the ball carrier. Middle linebacker Preston Brown, who signed a one-year deal with Cincinnati last offseason, is a free agent, and he’s coming off a major knee injury. White is a plug-and-play replacement.

****** The OL prospects seem to be rather meh.  So if it comes down to a stud LB or meh OL, I would go LB and pick up the best OL prospect in Round 2.  If White is gone, go best OL and see what's there in the second. HSH

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

Devin Bush is not even close to a top 12 player in this draft....Hobs is a fucking idiot. 

Maybe he's just parroting our crack scouting team of Mike Jr, Mike the 3rd, two other Brown cousins and that one guy who keeps asking to borrow a pen.

White would be a good pick at 11. Bush wouldn't be. I'm all for taking Haskins if we don't have to give up more than our 2nd to go get him. But the Bengals aren't going to replace Dalton this year. 

Bengals aren't going to sign Nick Foles (even though he'd only cost as much as Dalton + Burfict) or one of the top pass rushers. With 45 mil in cap space already, we should be able to do something like sign a mid tier O-linemen like Trent Brown or Juwaun James to start at RT, and a starting LB like maybe KJ Wright. In addition we can re-sign Dennard, Uzomah, and Eifert or someone like Jesse James. 

44 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

White would be a good pick at 11. Bush wouldn't be. I'm all for taking Haskins if we don't have to give up more than our 2nd to go get him. But the Bengals aren't going to replace Dalton this year. 

Bengals aren't going to sign Nick Foles (even though he'd only cost as much as Dalton + Burfict) or one of the top pass rushers. With 45 mil in cap space already, we should be able to do something like sign a mid tier O-linemen like Trent Brown or Juwaun James to start at RT, and a starting LB like maybe KJ Wright. In addition we can re-sign Dennard, Uzomah, and Eifert or someone like Jesse James. 

No way Dalton gets replaced this year even if we somehow got Haskins at least not unless Dalton got hurt or simply sucked bigtime.

It is not like Baker Mayfield trying to beat out 118 yards per game passing, passer rating of 64 Tyrod Taylor.  Even then Mayfield was 1-5 his first 6 games and looked like a rookie, because he was. 

White is a good pick at 11, I agree there.  The possible O lineman that would be available at 11 don't impress me but we are in serious desperation mode. 

Yeah, we never go all in during FA so you are right, probably jump in around day 4 and collect some scraps. 

On the mock I would just swap the first two picks.

Draft O-Line in the first

In the 2nd take a cheaper QB project or the best dam offensive player available. Rather that be a back, wide out, or whatever.

This is why.

I kinda see our 2nd round pick as our first.

Our first must go to the weakest link. Which was the O-line which was gosh awful. So that pretty much locks up that. Not a nice shiny pick but we got to get someone who can block and not jump off sides. For the love of everything that is good. We don't ask much!!

Our 2nd round pick is more open for the best available and still early enough to be a game changing player.

13 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Unless the Bengals seriously address the positions I cannot see any way they can take anything but OT or LB in the 1st round. Currently Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor and Devin White are highest on my list with White leading the way. 

And with no D coordinator in the house to advocate for said LB, I am thinking OT.   If White is gone, it will be either Williams, Taylor, Ford or Little at OT or possibly one of the Tight ends from Iowa.

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And with no D coordinator in the house to advocate for said LB, I am thinking OT.   If White is gone, it will be either Williams, Taylor, Ford or Little at OT or possibly one of the Tight ends from Iowa.

Little will never sniff the first round.....he's likely a 3rd rounder at very best...and that's probably being generous.

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Little will never sniff the first round.....he's likely a 3rd rounder at very best.

I don't disagree.   I just have a feeling we will reach for something, that is why I threw in the TEs from Iowa.

50 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Unless the Bengals seriously address the positions I cannot see any way they can take anything but OT or LB in the 1st round. Currently Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor and Devin White are highest on my list with White leading the way. 

We absolutely need to address. RT and LB early. But I think there is a good chance at least 2 QBs will go before we pick. Meaning we have a shot to get a blue chip difference maker at 11, and if a guy like that is there at 11, that’s the guy I want even if he’s not a LB or OT. How many 4-3 LBs on playoff teams were drafted in the top 15?  Now, if they decide White or Williams is their guy I wouldn’t hate it, but take the elite talent if he’s there. 

45 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don't disagree.   I just have a feeling we will reach for something, that is why I threw in the TEs from Iowa

Greg Little would be a monumental reach though ...I really don't think we have to worry about that one.

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

We absolutely need to address. RT and LB early. But I think there is a good chance at least 2 QBs will go before we pick. Meaning we have a shot to get a blue chip difference maker at 11, and if a guy like that is there at 11, that’s the guy I want even if he’s not a LB or OT. How many 4-3 LBs on playoff teams were drafted in the top 15?  Now, if they decide White or Williams is their guy I wouldn’t hate it, but take the elite talent if he’s there. 

The only other spot I could see reaching us that makes sense is maybe one of the corners, Williams or Murphy.  I don't see anything that screams elite that would make it to us.  Still, we could simply over pay Dre a little and get an LB or OT. 

Archived