2019 Draft Talk

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think we would all be in shock if we actually moved up to draft White. It would be a great move but the tree sloth may not think fast enough to do it.

I don't like the idea of giving up early draft picks for a LB, at all.  This team is far from being one LB away from a championship.  We need those 2nd & 3rd round picks desperately, more than we need Devin White.

You can cross Devin White off your lists now.  Even if they had the chance to draft him, they probably won't now with him saying he's going to be looking for $100 million in 5 years.

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2019/03/22/devin-white-draft-me-5-years-ill-looking-100-million/3246989002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“People know ‘Devin isn’t going to be on the board long, and we’re not going to find another Devin 10 years from now. He’s rare,’” White said. “Draft me, because when I hit free agency in five years, the price will go up. I’ll be looking for $100 million then.”

Can't see it happening if there's a known contract dispute coming up with a player 5 years after they're drafted.  Something tells me that just won't mesh well with the Bengals front office since we won't even pay a great guard after their rookie deal ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh sells the farm to somehow move up and get him as Shazier's replacement.

Frankly, the Bengals are going to have to do something to make an impact with the fans.

I (we?) was fired up with the departure of Clappy Lewis and bring in a Fresh New Coaching Staff.

Free agency has been the annual and traditional meh highlighted by re-signing Bobby Hartless.

So they are going to have to do something to reignite the fire under the hopes of the fan base.

They traded up from the 5th pick to the 1st to draft Ki Jana Carter and who knows how that would have

turned out without the injury?

Devin White will not be available at 11 and this is a mediocre crop of OTs esp drafting at 11 and one

just as about good could be gotten in round two.  I don't want to trade up for a quarterback.

If White is gone and no trade up, trade down and go for the O lineman or maybe Devin Bush who I do

not think is worth the 11th pick.

But I do look for them to do something.  

11 hours ago, spicoli said:

there are 3 players in this draft that are truly worth trading up for, IMO...Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams and Devin White...just for conversation purposes, what would it take to go up and get one of em?

I don't think there is enough of a difference between White and Bush to trade up for him. I also don't know if a 4-3 LB has enough position value to give up a draft pick for.  With our needs this year I don't think I'd give up more than a 3 to move up if one of them slides.  I'd ad Haskins to that list.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think there is enough of a difference between White and Bush to trade up for him. I also don't know if a 4-3 LB has enough position value to give up a draft pick for.  With our needs this year I don't think I'd give up more than a 3 to move up if one of them slides.  I'd ad Haskins to that list.

Right, I don't think so either, not with this weak of a roster.   There will be some great prospects at 11 regardless, I don't see why we need to trade up from there just to feed a bunch of hype. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

the big difference for me between White and Bush is the fact that White carries 235-240lbs easily because it's his natural weight...whereas Bush is naturally around 220 and had to put in work just to get up to 235 for the combine.

and normally I wouldn't recommend trading up for a LB but White's a special player IMO and I believe he'll be a difference maker from day one. 

20 minutes ago, spicoli said:

... I wouldn't recommend trading up for a LB but White's a special player IMO and I believe he'll be a difference maker from day one. 

Isn’t that what people thought / said about Aaron Curry?

56 minutes ago, BBR said:

Isn’t that what people thought / said about Aaron Curry?

Aaron Curry decided he didn't like hitting people after he got paid.....huge draft bust, for sure.

I see zero similarities between him and White however.

6 hours ago, BBR said:

You can cross Devin White off your lists now.  Even if they had the chance to draft him, they probably won't now with him saying he's going to be looking for $100 million in 5 years.

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2019/03/22/devin-white-draft-me-5-years-ill-looking-100-million/3246989002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Can't see it happening if there's a known contract dispute coming up with a player 5 years after they're drafted.  Something tells me that just won't mesh well with the Bengals front office since we won't even pay a great guard after their rookie deal ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh sells the farm to somehow move up and get him as Shazier's replacement.

Shit, that would be a reason to Draft Him!!  I want a Kid who thinks he's gonna be the absolute best at his position in 5 years!  

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yes they did but they also said that about Von Miller. We do have many holes to fill but we also need difference makers

Miller is primarily a pass rusher.  They have a greater impact on the game than "off the ball" LBs.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

Miller is primarily a pass rusher.  They have a greater impact on the game than "off the ball" LBs.

Do they?  The OL can pretty much just tackle them now, so long as they play for the right team/QB.  I've said this for a while now - the best thing we could do on defense is invest in good DB's.  They're still prone to phantom penalties but they still have the opportunity to break up passes or create turnovers.  I think it's clear the games are being called with a goal of creating 60+ games on average.  A top-notch secondary seems the best way of slowing that down.  

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Do they?  The OL can pretty much just tackle them now, so long as they play for the right team/QB.  I've said this for a while now - the best thing we could do on defense is invest in good DB's.  They're still prone to phantom penalties but they still have the opportunity to break up passes or create turnovers.  I think it's clear the games are being called with a goal of creating 60+ games on average.  A top-notch secondary seems the best way of slowing that down.  

Well, the NFL likes pass-rushers too: they help in the promos with those sack vids. Then again, one sack then equals 10-straight allowed holds, which leads to TD scoring vids. 

But, you are right: the only real hope in slowing down the pinball scoring contests, are the CB's. 

My 1st round priorities/wishlist:

1a.  A 10-year OT who can play LT (or possibly both)

1b. A 10-year RT (if they aren't a sure thing you can usually find a serviceable RT in the 2nd or 3rd Rd)

2. A dynamic defensive playmaker (preferably a LB). Devin White is probably the best fit of those who might still be there at 11.  Love the way he closes on the ball.

3. A can't miss 3-down DT.  If they aren't "can't miss" then you can probably find a decent 2-down run stuffer to go next to Geno later in the draft.

Archived