2019 Draft Talk

8 hours ago, fluhartz said:

So you don't watch college football? 

I mean he has been one of the best players in the country for 3 years.

While collegiate football is markedly more real and interesting than the NFL, no I don't watch a lot of it. Living in this town--with the mandated Ohio State worship-- has been a turn off too over the years. 

This Oliver fellow piqued my curiosity though. Will read up on him a bit. 

6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

While collegiate football is markedly more real and interesting than the NFL, no I don't watch a lot of it. Living in this town--with the mandated Ohio State worship-- has been a turn off too over the years. 

This Oliver fellow piqued my curiosity though. Will read up on him a bit. 

My impression of NCAA football is that there's the SEC and then there are all the conferences that lose to them in bowl games.

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Thanks. So why is the wunderkind from Houston this draft's cat's pajamas? 

Not being a wise guy...I just have never heard of him before. 

I'm not sure he's the darling of the draft or anything,  just one of the top players that some have projected as being there at 11 and therefore a possible Bengals target.   There's a whole slew of other players I'd rather have but have no shot at being on the board for the Bengals' slot. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

My impression of NCAA football is that there's the SEC and then there are all the conferences that lose to them in bowl games.

And it is much more corporate and NFL-like in recent years. This move towards this "Power 5 Conference" stuff, sings of almost monopolistic empires. 

Honestly, I have taken to attending local Division III contests much more as the years have gone by. No glitz, no pomp, no TV, just college kids playing for their schools. And more of the traditional crowd, just enjoying fall Saturdays on campus. As opposed to cramming oneself into 100K filled money-machines, and possibly being seated next to non-student middle-aged items of this sort:

1099604.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Odds this man ever attended OSU 50/50 at best

I much prefer NCAA basketball, sure at higher levels it still gets dominated by the bench from bigger schools and their superior budget/recruitment(aka alumni handing out cars etc) but there are always some good teams popping up from low budget programs, too.  

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

And it is much more corporate and NFL-like in recent years. This move towards this "Power 5 Conference" stuff, sings of almost monopolistic empires. 

Honestly, I have taken to attending local Division III contests much more as the years have gone by. No glitz, no pomp, no TV, just college kids playing for their schools. And more of the traditional crowd, just enjoying fall Saturdays on campus. As opposed to cramming oneself into 100K filled money-machines, and possibly being seated next to non-student middle-aged items of this sort:

I'm going to miss going over to ODU next year since the boy is graduating in May. I guess it'll be back to sitting on my porch on Saturdays listening for the 3rd down bell at OSU. (Yes, I can hear it from my house.)

Incidentally, ODU is hosting the Women's Division II Final Four Basketball tournament this weekend. 

On 3/22/2019 at 10:28 PM, spicoli said:

there are 3 players in this draft that are truly worth trading up for, IMO...Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams and Devin White...just for conversation purposes, what would it take to go up and get one of em?

I actually prefer the kid from Washington at linebacker.  Ben Burr-Kirven.  I think he is better than White and Bush to be honest.  I have watched quite a bit lately on the these guys and 

I believe Kirven is the best.  Reminds me of Kuechly but just a tad smaller.  Instincts are off the charts.  

16 minutes ago, One Nation said:

I'm not saying the Bengals should grab Kirven at 11 all I'm saying is I think he's the best linebacker in this class.  White and Bush seem 

to be getting all of the publicity but if you take a hour to watch these guys I think you may agree.  

White has been doing it against a higher level of competition.  

I've also said before that I think LB at #11 is not a good value.  Defense is just too hamstrung by the rules in Goodell's Integrity Circus version of the game.

I'm meh on Oliver to the Bengals. He plays the same position as Geno. He's lighter and way less powerful than Geno though. Will be a liability on running plays. Played at under 280 lbs (I know he weighed 287 at combine). He doesn't have the length to move to end.

I think he can be good on certain teams. I just don't see the fit here with Geno locked up.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

White has been doing it against a higher level of competition.  

I've also said before that I think LB at #11 is not a good value.  Defense is just too hamstrung by the rules in Goodell's Integrity Circus version of the game.

Then I suppose by that logic we should only Draft fellows from the SEC.   Your saying he's a better player because he played against the SEC schools?  Watch the tape on him.  He's more instinctive, a better tackler and just as fast as White.  I agree with you though at 11 linebacker is not a good value.  My only argument is that I think Kirvin is the best linebacker out there.   

9 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Then I suppose by that logic we should only Draft fellows from the SEC.   Your saying he's a better player because he played against the SEC schools?  Watch the tape on him.  He's more instinctive, a better tackler and just as fast as White.  I agree with you though at 11 linebacker is not a good value.  My only argument is that I think Kirvin is the best linebacker out there.   

I haven't watched enough of either to know, but given 2 roughly equal rookies? I'd go with the SEC guy every time.  They're facing more NFL-tier opposition than players in other conferences, at least AFAIK.  

1 hour ago, akiliMVP said:

I'm meh on Oliver to the Bengals. He plays the same position as Geno. He's lighter and way less powerful than Geno though. Will be a liability on running plays. Played at under 280 lbs (I know he weighed 287 at combine). He doesn't have the length to move to end.

I think he can be good on certain teams. I just don't see the fit here with Geno locked up.

He spells Geno on "normal" downs.  He plays next to Geno on passing downs.  He takes over for Geno in a couple of years.

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Oliver is highly disruptive to opponent's running games. The question about him is pass rushing, specifically if he can learn more moves. 

That gets at what I think is the biggest question when trying to grade out these prospects - their ability to adjust to the pro game.  Most of them are used to simply outclassing just about everyone on the field & getting by on raw athletic ability.  They get to the NFL and suddenly everyone else is about as fast, strong, etc as they are & many of them aren't willing to put in the work to make that transition.  They're getting millions guaranteed just for signing up & it seems to kill the motivation for a lot of guys.  More so when they look around their team and see veterans getting rewarded even though they aren't delivering.

I really hope/pray that one of your 80% guys is still there somehow.  I wouldn't mind Devin Bush at LB.  I'm not smart enough to know about other people worth the pic at that point...maybe trade down but finding a partner in that scenario can be tough.

Devin Bush is undersized. 11 is a little too high.

Devin White is number one on the list of guys the Bengals MUST take if he’s available at 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Some of the combine measurements for a few of the LBs that are usually talked about for the Bengals:

Player             Age    School                Height    Wt     40YD    Vertical    BenchReps    Broad Jump    3Cone    Shuttle  
Devin White        21     LSU                   6-0       237    4.42    39.5           22             118       7.07    4.17
Devin Bush         20     Michigan              5-11      234    4.43    40.5           21             124       6.93    4.23
David Long         20     West Virginia         5-11      227    4.45    39.5           15             120        
Blake Cashman      22     Minnesota             6-1       237    4.5     37.5           18             124       6.95    4.12
Ben Burr-Kirven    21     Washington            6-0       230    4.56    34.5           21             121       6.85    4.09
Germaine Pratt     22     North Carolina St.    6-2       240    4.57    32.5           24             116        

Just throwing the info out there since some people might not have paid much attention to their combine performances.

16 hours ago, One Nation said:

I like Kiven as well but not at 11. Most don’t have him going in first round. 

Kirven is highly instinctive and highly productive but he has a small frame and he's not likely to get much bigger.....I suspect just based on that alone, some teams will completely take him off their boards. 

Archived