2019 Draft Talk

4 hours ago, Girevik said:

Isn't that kind of apples and oranges since White was tacking college players as opposed to the best in the world? 

That distinction means less and less the closer we get to the draft.  By the time it starts he will be an instant upgrade over _______________ and primed to change the NFL forever.  HYPE TRAIN IS LEAVING THE STATION!  ALL ABOARD!!  :locomotive:

giphy.webp

6 hours ago, Girevik said:

Isn't that kind of apples and oranges since White was tacking college players as opposed to the best in the world? 

It is but it is hard to believe White would have anything close to a 21.4% miss rate in the pros.   The reality is Burfict was terrible last year and the contract he just received from the Raiders is indicative of his level of play last year.   Nickerson was hardly better. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It is but it is hard to believe White would have anything close to a 21.4% miss rate in the pros.   The reality is Burfict was terrible last year and the contract he just received from the Raiders is indicative of his level of play last year.   Nickerson was hardly better. 

I'm not disputing that it was Burfict's time to go, or that the Bengals need a LB.

White is right near the top of the list of guys I hope are there at 11, but comparing stats between college and NFL players makes about as much sense to me as comparing a college baseball player hitting .450 to Brice Harper's average. 

1 minute ago, Girevik said:

I'm not disputing that it was Burfict's time to go, or that the Bengals need a LB.

White is right near the top of the list of guys I hope are there at 11, but comparing stats between college and NFL players makes about as much sense to me as comparing a college baseball player hitting .450 to Brice Harper's average. 

Totally agree.  Plenty of stud college LBs never amounted to anything in the Pros.  At one time Burfict was one of the best in the league. 

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Totally agree.  Plenty of stud college LBs never amounted to anything in the Pros.  At one time Burfict was one of the best in the league. 

We've drafted so many of those.  So, so many.  

LB does not have top-10 value.

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Which stud LBs did we draft?

The only ones I can think of are Rivers and Maualuga.  Only one of which we took in the top 10.  Unless you want to go back to Odell Thurman.  Who was actually pretty good.  For 1 season.

15 minutes ago, cassanos said:

Could they really go Best WR in the draft (Metcalf) then QB in the second round (Jones)

Like they did Green and Dalton?

Zac with his own QB/WR combo

I honestly would not be surprised if the top ten from another thread were off the board.

And the Bengals did not trade up or even down.

You know how Mikey gets all googly moogly giddy over wide receivers.

John Ross being the most recent example with so many other pressing needs still on the board.

Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama 
With both linebackers off the board the Bengals get one of the best offensive linemen in the class; Williams can play right tackle in the NFL and even kick inside to guard if needed. 

10 (42)

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke Andy Dalton has two years left on his current deal and there's no guarantee that he's Zac Taylor's guy; Jones, who has drawn comparisons to Eli Manning, does a lot of things well but no one thing blows you away.

8 (72)
Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota 
Vontaze Burfict is gone and Cashman brings his athleticism, playmaking ability and high football IQ to Cincinnati.

Honestly if we don’t get Murray or Haskins (or maybe Lock if the coaches are high on him) I don’t want to use anything higher than a 4 on a QB. The guys we would get in 2 or 3 strike me as Dalton clones. If we can’t upgrade from Dalton then I just want a better backup. 

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama 
With both linebackers off the board the Bengals get one of the best offensive linemen in the class; Williams can play right tackle in the NFL and even kick inside to guard if needed. 

10 (42)

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke Andy Dalton has two years left on his current deal and there's no guarantee that he's Zac Taylor's guy; Jones, who has drawn comparisons to Eli Manning, does a lot of things well but no one thing blows you away.

8 (72)
Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota 
Vontaze Burfict is gone and Cashman brings his athleticism, playmaking ability and high football IQ to Cincinnati.

If the draft fell that way, I'd pick Mack Wilson in the second, and Look at Will Grier in the third, if I looked at a QB in the first three at all. Hell, I might just pick another LB at 3 and double up on that group.

2 hours ago, kennethmw said:

If the draft fell that way, I'd pick Mack Wilson in the second, and Look at Will Grier in the third, if I looked at a QB in the first three at all. Hell, I might just pick another LB at 3 and double up on that group.

I am with you. As much crap as Andy gets here it is hard to believe Daniel Jones is going to be much better than him and I can't get on board with wasting a 2nd rounder on a backup.  If the strategy is to groom him to be the next Andy Dalton but on a rookie contract, I kinda might understand but meh, these guys are such crap shoots.   There were 4 QBs drafted in round one in 2011, only Newton amounted to anything.  Only one other, of the 12 total chosen is a starter: Andy Dalton.    

Archived