2019 Draft Talk

Just now, Jason said:

Green will get an extension, likely before September this year. Dalton will depend on performance and whether or not they draft, or wind up in position to get one next year. 

That is a big assumption. By end of year he will have made $89 mil. He has nothing to prove here and doesn’t NEED to sign an extension here or even keep playing.  I would not be surprised to see him shoot for a contender.  

The closer we get to the draft, it looks like Ed Oliver and Devin White won't be there.  Oliver is #1 for me based on who might be available, but does anyone envision a scenario where we go with one of the Iowa TEs at #11?

33 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That is a big assumption. By end of year he will have made $89 mil. He has nothing to prove here and doesn’t NEED to sign an extension here or even keep playing.  I would not be surprised to see him shoot for a contender.  

"Shooting for a contender" is itself, a crapshoot. How many times, have you seen "contenders" suddenly drop like rocks the following season. Certainly, one can reasonably wager some teams will annually be "contenders", but short of #teamslikethepatriots, it is never guaranteed.     

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

"Shooting for a contender" is itself, a crapshoot. How many times, have you seen "contenders" suddenly drop like rocks the following season. Certainly, one can reasonably wager some teams will annually be "contenders", but short of #teamslikethepatriots, it is never guaranteed.     

Well, there may be a gaping hole soon in KC.  Seattle, Green Bay, Carolina, Atlanta, Indy, Houston, LA Chargers, anyplace with a legit QB  needing another weapon.  Even Chicago and Tennessee would be better with AJ. 

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think it's highly unlikely Mike lets him walk.  He'll either extend here or get tagged.

I don't see him getting extended, unless it is for 3 years or less.   Production has fallen off as of late although the line play could have something to do with that.  Ended 2 of the last 3 seasons on IR and didn't have the greatest season in 2017 by his standards.  The turf toe issue is troubling.  Tagged is a possibility based on how this season goes.  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I don't see him getting extended, unless it is for 3 years or less.   Production has fallen off as of late although the line play could have something to do with that.  Ended 2 of the last 3 seasons on IR and didn't have the greatest season in 2017 by his standards.  The turf toe issue is troubling.  Tagged is a possibility based on how this season goes.  

Does Green even want an extension here? We don't know that, he may take less $$$ to play for a winner in his final years. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Does Green even want an extension here? We don't know that, he may take less $$$ to play for a winner in his final years. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/28/aj-green-contract-one-year-left-staying-bengals/

Well, this is what he said.  

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

That means nothing really. Mike Brown stresses winning but we all see what that really means

Does he?  Last segment of a MB press conference I watched he was blaming the fans for making him fire Marvin.  

I don't think he wants to win so much as he wants to be vindicated.  He'd rather lose his way.

20 hours ago, SF2 said:

He's the best player on this team and its evident considering how hard the offense falters once he goes out. I'd be absolutely shocked if his deal isn't in-line with what Antonio just signed and what Julio is about to sign. Probably three years at 16.5/17M AAV giving him another four years with us. Might not be the last deal he signs with us either unless he wants to go win somewhere.

1 hour ago, JC said:

He's the best player on this team and its evident considering how hard the offense falters once he goes out. I'd be absolutely shocked if his deal isn't in-line with what Antonio just signed and what Julio is about to sign. Probably three years at 16.5/17M AAV giving him another four years with us. Might not be the last deal he signs with us either unless he wants to go win somewhere.

He isn't worth Julio Jones or Brown money and paying a WR that kind of money is stupid anyways.   The league is full of teams who have overpaid WRs that do next to nothing.  Detroit with Megatron, Arizona with Fitzgerald, Atlanta with Jones.  Pittsburgh sacrificed so much defense for Bell and Brown that even though they made the playoffs they would get run out of the house by the Patriots or more laughable, the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Giving a guy who might touch the ball 80 to 90 times a year that kind of money is a mistake.  Giving a guy like Whit, who is involved in almost every offensive play, makes WAY MORE sense.  A cheaper stud tight end would be better than loading up the brinks truck for a wide receiver. And yes, when AJ Green is out, the offense suffers immensely, that is because the Bengals had no #3 receiver or a healthy tight end to take up some of the slack and Dalton has always over relied on Green. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

He isn't worth Julio Jones or Brown money and paying a WR that kind of money is stupid anyways.   The league is full of teams who have overpaid WRs that do next to nothing.  Detroit with Megatron, Arizona with Fitzgerald, Atlanta with Jones.  Pittsburgh sacrificed so much defense for Bell and Brown that even though they made the playoffs they would get run out of the house by the Patriots or more laughable, the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Giving a guy who might touch the ball 80 to 90 times a year that kind of money is a mistake.  Giving a guy like Whit, who is involved in almost every offensive play, makes WAY MORE sense.  A cheaper stud tight end would be better than loading up the brinks truck for a wide receiver. And yes, when AJ Green is out, the offense suffers immensely, that is because the Bengals had no #3 receiver or a healthy tight end to take up some of the slack and Dalton has always over relied on Green. 

So has that changed? John Ross still probably sucks. Tyler Eifert still hasn't played 16 games and is on a one year deal. What stud tight end is getting away from their team anytime soon? Trick question. None. Left tackles? Unless your the Bengals...probably not.

So you subtract AJ Green you have one of the worst teams in the NFL, like we saw this year. With him, you at least have a shot at outscoring the other team like they did early in the season. As he gets older, you throw him in the slot where he was uber effective this year.

Doesn't really matter. Mike Brown is not letting him get away. AJ is here for at least two years after this.

1 hour ago, JC said:

So has that changed? John Ross still probably sucks. Tyler Eifert still hasn't played 16 games and is on a one year deal. What stud tight end is getting away from their team anytime soon? Trick question. None. Left tackles? Unless your the Bengals...probably not.

So you subtract AJ Green you have one of the worst teams in the NFL, like we saw this year. With him, you at least have a shot at outscoring the other team like they did early in the season. As he gets older, you throw him in the slot where he was uber effective this year.

Doesn't really matter. Mike Brown is not letting him get away. AJ is here for at least two years after this.

I am not subtracting him yet. Play out this year and if he plays well tag him or sign him if team does well. Fix the rest of the house first.  No reason to sign him long range right now, it doesn’t fix anything. 

46 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I am not subtracting him yet. Play out this year and if he plays well tag him or sign him if team does well. Fix the rest of the house first.  No reason to sign him long range right now, it doesn’t fix anything. 

You'll likely pay quite a bit less before he has a vice grip on your balls and starts demanding $20M AAV and prevent the risk of him walking for free at some point.

The rest of the house is getting fixed through the draft. AJ's contract will be running out the same time as this draft class if he gets three additional years. Do it now and thank whichever higher power you believe in that we have a superstar that actually enjoys being in the small market. 

Archived