2019 Draft Talk

1 hour ago, JC said:

You'll likely pay quite a bit less before he has a vice grip on your balls and starts demanding $20M AAV and prevent the risk of him walking for free at some point.

The rest of the house is getting fixed through the draft. AJ's contract will be running out the same time as this draft class if he gets three additional years. Do it now and thank whichever higher power you believe in that we have a superstar that actually enjoys being in the small market. 

Agreed.  A deal worked out this year will be cheaper than a deal worked out next summer.

19 hours ago, JC said:

You'll likely pay quite a bit less before he has a vice grip on your balls and starts demanding $20M AAV and prevent the risk of him walking for free at some point.

The rest of the house is getting fixed through the draft. AJ's contract will be running out the same time as this draft class if he gets three additional years. Do it now and thank whichever higher power you believe in that we have a superstar that actually enjoys being in the small market. 

Then you let him go.  Overpaying at the WR position for a single player is foolish.  He isn't a superstar, there are very few of those in the league.  He was a very good top 5-10  receiver 3 or 4 years ago.   Injury bug got him for 2 years and 2017 was good but not top dollar great.  Of course Ross was supposed to be next man up but.... 

I like AJ, he is a damn good receiver but giving him a huge contract isn't a good idea, we have only made the playoffs once since his last BIG contract.  No, not his fault but some of that money could have been spent elsewhere. The number of great WRs picked after 20 is long and distinguished.  It isn’t a difficult position to replace. 

48 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Shouldn't they determine how healthy he really is first?

My guess is that they will start talking in training camp, and extend before the beginning of the new year.  That's been their Modus Operandi.

58 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Why are we not considering Dalton Risner at #11? 

Because we won't have a shot at him, or if we do he is a reach.  Same for any OT before the 5th round. Besides, we have whatever is left of Cordy Glenn and of course Hart is phenomenal.  Everything is fine.

We should draft a QB.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Because we won't have a shot at him, or if we do he is a reach.  Same for any OT before the 5th round. Besides, we have whatever is left of Cordy Glenn and of course Hart is phenomenal.  Everything is fine.

We should draft a QB.

The only quarterback I would want in round one at 11 would be the guy from Ohio State.

What I would love to see happen (and it won't) is package Ross with our 11 to trade up for White and

we get an extra 3rd round pick.  Even a 4th.  Ross is mediocre at best even if he can stay healthy.

Just as good out there and far cheaper and more durable.

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We should draft a QB.

If Dalton Risner ends up being a 10+ year starter from day 1, who would care that we drafted him 10 spots higher than the "experts" predicted.  If the Bengals have him rated that high, I hope they pick him.  Listening to some draft guys, they think he has the chance to be a really solid starter and doesn't really have a major hole in his game like a lot of the guys rated above him do.  It'll be interesting to see. 

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

The only quarterback I would want in round one at 11 would be the guy from Ohio State.

What I would love to see happen (and it won't) is package Ross with our 11 to trade up for White and

we get an extra 3rd round pick.  Even a 4th.  Ross is mediocre at best even if he can stay healthy.

Just as good out there and far cheaper and more durable.

Why would anyone give up first round draft position for Ross? This isn't Madden where we can bamboozle our way into a HoF roster ;)

On 4/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, oldschooler said:

Not shocking at all.   When his name first popped up in relation to our draft I saw too much reliance on clubbing with his arms or launching at dudes without crossing them up.  There's a big difference between knocking someone to the ground and tackling.  It's easy for college LB's to rely on the former.  Against NFL backs and TE's they become a fly on the windshield, as pretty much every other LB we've drafted should demonstrate.   Except the really evil one that was cured by going to the Oakland  Las Vegas Pahrump Raiders, a team with a well-known history of sportsmanship and Doing Things the Right Way.

Anyway.  LB is still not worth a top draft pick in the current circus NFL.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Anyway.  LB is still not worth a top draft pick in the current circus NFL.

Brandon Bell

Preston Brown

Jordan Evans

Malik Jefferson

Hardy Nickerson

Nick Vigil

Chris Worley

That's our LB corp at the moment. And they were the weakest link on a historically bad Defense

31 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

That's our LB corp at the moment. And they were the weakest link on a historically bad Defense

OL was historically bad as well, far as that goes.  One draft pick won't fix either of those problems.  A LB with suspect tackling is the opposite of what we need.

Wasn't talking about need anyway.  I'm talking about the value of the position, the opportunity cost vs. drafting a pass rusher, DB, OL, even a QB.  I don't think LB is worth a top 10ish draft pick.  Best LB we had under Marvin was a UDFA.  Like RB, I think we can get one in the later rounds.  It's not like it would take much to be an upgrade, right?

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

OL was historically bad as well, far as that goes.  One draft pick won't fix either of those problems.  A LB with suspect tackling is the opposite of what we need.

Wasn't talking about need anyway.  I'm talking about the value of the position, the opportunity cost vs. drafting a pass rusher, DB, OL, even a QB.  I don't think LB is worth a top 10ish draft pick.  Best LB we had under Marvin was a UDFA.  Like RB, I think we can get one in the later rounds.  It's not like it would take much to be an upgrade, right?

No, actually, it wasn't.  8th in the NFL in rush yards per carry and 12th in fewest sacks.  It wasn't great, but the O-line was good enough.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, actually, it wasn't.  8th in the NFL in rush yards per carry and 12th in fewest sacks.  It wasn't great, but the O-line was good enough.

:facepalm:

I've been reading this same argument for years so excuse my reaction but..  We have one of the best young RB's in the NFL.  Our QB has one of the fastest releases in the NFL.  Our entire offense was built around hiding our shitty line.  If you watched this team last year and came away thinking that OL group was anything like a top 10 unit I don't know what to say except.. 

Phenomenal!

8th and 12th aren't getting us anywhere.

x9dUvCu.jpg

Mixon should be 1st or top 5 at worst.  Dalton might not be SB MVP but I think "Fewest sacks allowed" would get us there.  Football Outsiders ranked us #22.  I'm a big FO fan, they're like PFF only not full of shit & show their work.  I think #22 is generous, even, but again.. our scheme was designed around hiding a bad OL.  It's not really something to hang your hat on, y'know?  We can put up yards against middling defenses, throw the ball around a bunch and even win some games.  Then we run into a good defense and get mauled.  Haven't we seen enough of that?

Obviously letting Whit go was a mistake, but that's water under the bridge.  The problem is our front office doesn't seem to want to admit it was a mistake.

Just now, T-Dub said:

:facepalm:

I've been reading this same argument for years so excuse my reaction but..  We have one of the best young RB's in the NFL.  Our QB has one of the fastest releases in the NFL.  Our entire offense was built around hiding our shitty line.  If you watched this team last year and came away thinking that OL group was anything like a top 10 unit I don't know what to say except.. 

Phenomenal!

Football Outsiders ranked us #22.  I'm a big FO fan, they're like PFF only not full of shit & show their work.  I think #22 is generous, even, but again.. our scheme is designed around hiding a bad OL.  It's not really something to hang your hat on, y'know?

Does our Offensive line need some upgrading? Absolutely.

Is it the weakest link on the team? Not even close.

We had 2 O-linemen (Ogbuehi and Fisher) on the team last season that were garbage.

Letting them go alone should improve our team. Plus hopefully Taylor designs the Offense

to fit the team. Does anyone really think the Patriots have had the best O-line, WRs and

RBs in the NFL throughout their dynasty? They have lost all kinds or Offensive talent this

offseason. Does anyone think they'll be horrible? I know they have Brady. But their Offense

was even good with Cassell.

Archived